MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:01 PM   #1
dukesbb37
Found some matches.

Default Building fire ring

Ok so i must be a moron, i cant find a search tab anywhere on the site. I am a member of a lot of forums so i know about annoying it is to have people post questiont that have been asked a hundred times.

That said... Can you guys help me with some ideas for a fire ring/charcoal basket in my UDS. I do not have the equipment to weld or cut sheet metal so it has to be a job i can put together.

I found 12x24" sheets of expanded steel at home depot for 10 bucks each but i think i would need 2. Does it need to be 12" high?

Would a 10" steel pot with a bazillion holes drilled in it work well?
dukesbb37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2013, 02:22 PM   #2
Enkidu
Take a breath!

I don't own nor have I ever used a WSM, but I do use the ring of fire method on my 22.5" OTG all the time to BBQ. With that method, I can maintain temps of ~220 for 10+ hours with no water pan. All I do is circle (with a gap) the charcoal grate with KB briquettes 2 wide and 2 high placing maybe 3-4 wood chunks along the path (including at the start). I start the ring with 4 lit coals. I leave the top vent open all the way, and leave the bottom vent open until it gets close to temp and then close it it 1/8th open.

I don't have any experience with the WSM, but I could imagine that doing something similar would probably give you at least any equally long (if not longer) burn with stead temps given how much more efficient on fuel I imagine the WSM is when compared to an OTG.

EDIT: Okay, I just realized you were asking about building a charcoal basket, not asking about the "ring of fire" method. Please ignore my post! Doh!

Old 01-28-2013, 02:38 PM   #3
HookedOnQ
is one Smokin' Farker

U can scroll down to the bottom of the main forums page there u can do a custom google search.. Just search uds fire basket and i think that will get u what u are looking for..
HookedOnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2013, 03:01 PM   #4
javahog2002
is one Smokin' Farker

I used the expanded metal from home depot and attached it to a small weber charcoal grate. Added some bolts for legs. No welding required. Tin snips will work if you need to cut.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:22 PM   #5
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker

Here is a pic of the one I made. 12" tall, 2 - 12" x 24" pieces of expando wired to a 13" charcoal grate with 12 gauge copper wire. The expando is bolted together and the handle is made from some flat stock that was kicking around. The ash catcher is made from a 30 gal. barrel cover and is bolted to the charcoal basket with 3 1/2" long carriage bolts.

It does certainly not need to be 12" tall, but I will never have the need to add any charcoal in the middle of a cook with it being that tall.
Smokin' D is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-28-2013, 03:41 PM   #6
dukesbb37
Found some matches.

I may not be the first person to post this, but I found this and it looks like it would work.

I would have to put legs on it... But it may save me some trouble.

If this metal looks safe to you guys, im ordering one.
dukesbb37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2013, 04:26 PM   #7
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker

Looks to be pretty small gauge wire which will probably burn out quickly and has really large openings for the charcoal to fall through. Cheap though.
Smokin' D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2013, 04:39 PM   #8
Garrett
Babbling Farker

I cut mine out of a small grease barrel and left risers on it to put the rack on it for high heat grilling or a pizza pan for indirect cooking, also gives me something to grab hold to. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359412753.900184.jpg

Thanks from: --->