MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:59 PM   #1
Fat Freddy
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Fred
Default KCBS renewal, Is it worth it

Howdy all, this posting is not meant to slam anybody or the KCBS I got my renewal email today and it got me thinking. I am going to renew my membership no question about it. However maybe it is something to ponder in regards to retaining members and just a few observations, right or wrong it is how I perceive things.

The renewal for myself and my wife is $50 and so what do the two of us get for our $50. We do not live anywhere near a restaurant depot so going to one is not an option. We will only compete in a few sanctioned events and at those events there will be non KCBS teams as well. If Sams is partnering with KCBS why cant they offer a discounted membership or something. Even a $5 discount would go along ways to people

I am a certified judge but only judge a couple of contests a year so I will never be, nor do I want to be, a master judge. To be honest there are enough backyard contests in the area that want judges so bad the give gift certificates to hotels and waterparks. So judging non sanctioned has become more enjoyable to me and easier to drive to.

It seems especially in the past that the only thing our BOD seem to agree on is to disagree. Now I have read and listened and even talked in person to one of our newly elected BOD members and I believe in them and what they are trying to do. But I think everyone can agree there seems to be a lot of resentment towards the BOD. I think everyone has and continues to want to do what is best for BBQ but I cannot understand why there is so much anger towards the past and future. Now to my point on this I refuse to donate money to any political party because all I perceive the two parties doing is bickering, so if I am really not getting much for my KCBS membership but bickering(more so in the past nothing meant by that) why would I give my money?

Finally I know one of the "benefits" is the opportunity to go to the annual banquet. But from what I am understanding they have run out of food before everyone is served. So my thoughts, being on a fixed monthly income, is why on earth would I save for months to go to the banquet,pay hotel room, and not even be able to eat?

I DO get to have my team name registered with the KCBS for what thats worth. I get the Bullsheet with my membership, but to be perfectly honest I know more what is going on in KCBS from this forum and am way more up to date.

I am a member of the Iowa BBQ Society and its cost to me is $40 and with that I at least get a discount to a BBQ retailer and get notified of contests sanctioned or not.

Myself and my wife are not "bigtime" but I would like to think that we are important as members too, but I am really starting to wonder what is the benefit of being a member.

I will get off my soapbox now, and I AM going to renew these are just thoughts that popped in my head

Old 04-25-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
mobow
is one Smokin' Farker

My thought is this. As for a personal benefit, very little except to be able to judge KCBS contest. There is the fact that KCBS sanctions contest for the cooks but you can cook in them as a member or not. I believe if you are cooking in them you should take it upon yourself to be a member but that is another thread.
I think the benefit boils down to this and this alone. Do you believe KCBS is promoting BBQ and helping it grow in a positve (for the most part) way. If yes help support it. If not, don't. Just my thoughts. keith

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-25-2012, 03:25 PM   #3
Parts_Guy
On the road to being a farker

My father and I had this same conversation. He sees a benefit in it and I do not. And to answer mobow's question of if I(or anyone) believes KCBS is promoting BBQ and helping it grow,my answer would be yes and no. Outside of us that compete and the judges, who knows what KCBS is or even stands for? I remember when I 1st took the judging class and was all excited. I was telling friends and anyone that would listen. They all gave me a look like I was speaking french when I mentioned KCBS.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:36 PM   #4
buffalotom
Full Fledged Farker

As a member of many different associations, mostly professional I look at membership in the KCBS as a positive way to help improve the industry. BBQ is growing in the country and if we can help it grow in a positive manner then let's do it. I also feel that my membership in this forum is without a doubt the best way to spend my money.
Parts Guy, your friends may not have known before about KCBS, but now they do. You are making a difference.
buffalotom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2012, 03:39 PM   #5
Smoke'n Ice
is one Smokin' Farker

The question becomes why would you not support an organization that strives to promote bbq contests all over the US and tries to level the playing field by administring rules and regs to cooks, judges and promoters. I know that I can become somewhat lambastic regarding rules and behind the scenes, backdoor deals, and feel that some of this is way past time to end. With that said, supporting it gives me the opportunity to voice an opinion, right or wrong, about how it should be done and, hopefully, help guide it in the future.
Smoke'n Ice is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2012, 03:45 PM   #6
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke'n Ice View Post
The question becomes why would you not support an organization that strives to promote bbq contests all over the US...
If you compete in KCBS sanctioned contests, then you already do support the organization since your entry fee includes payment to KCBS. The membership enables you receive a few bennefits and opportunities, but by competing, you are financially supporting.

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2012, 03:45 PM   #7
kihrer
Full Fledged Farker

My feeling is that while KCBS may have its issues, what major organization doesn't. I believe that there are many more competition opportunities for us because of KCBS. I believe that more opportunities are on the horizon like what they did with the Sams Club. My bottom line is that "I" don't think competitive BBQ would be where it is today without KCBS.

Personally, I use the RD benefit so even if I felt they did nothing else for me, that would be a big enough benefit. I think I get good value for my membership dollar even though I think the board is too secretive and doesn't always "seem" to have the member's best interest in mind. I am hopeful that the new BOD members will help improve that. Overall, I like KCBS and will continue to renew.

12ft competition trailer
Jambo 48 "Bo Diddley"
heavily modified SnP "Chickenator"
[COLOR=Red]Red[COLOR=Black] and [COLOR=Blue]Blue[COLOR=Black] Super fast [/COLOR][/COLOR]Thermapens[/COLOR][/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
kihrer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2012, 03:49 PM   #8
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

I keep membership. Like others have said they have their issues. Some Brethren Members are on the Board I dio like their ideas so I want to support them They, KCBS, also are a major reason for so many Comps
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-25-2012, 03:55 PM   #9
Hot Grill on Grill Logan
Knows what a fatty is.

keep it going. Lots of reasons to support. The KCBS staff and website, to support the great reps that invest so much time into our passion, to advocate our sport.
Hot Grill on Grill Logan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2012, 03:58 PM   #10
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

KCBS has it's faults, but I always think supporting the organization is good for barbecue. There are other good sanctioning bodies out there, but KCBS has the largest reach. Up here in the Northeast, it's the only game in town.
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2012, 04:17 PM   #11
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I have a lifetime membership. It gives me the right to beotch and moan about the BOD. , even though I support them 100%. I just don't support how some things get done. I compete in an organization. I want what is right for the organization and for me as a member. Some of this stuff foes not fall under the "what is best for membership". I encourage folks to listen to the meetings. You can get a better understanding of the workings.

Would it be too early to start the El Jefe in 2015? Ooh boy, that might get me in trouble... ;)

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2012, 04:18 PM   #12
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Change happened at the last election. It may not ripple out as fast as some would like and it's going to take another election cycle and more people like the last elected candidates to step up, but it's here.
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2012, 04:23 PM   #13
Fat Freddy
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Fred

I appreciate all the comments and my goal was just to give something to think about. I was actually a member of the KCBS before I competed or became a judge and the reason I did that was because I love what BBQ has done for me in a very short amount of time(Health issues had to get a hobby). I am not anti KCBS at all, I just kinda wanted to throw it out there as something to talk about.

This is what happens when I am unable to cook outside for a week due to an injury, my mind wanders to all the little things. But hey at least I am still thinking about BBQ

Old 04-25-2012, 04:31 PM   #14
QueNivorous
On the road to being a farker

In my opinion KCBS provides a pretty goog framework for us to compete in and to us that's well worth $4 per month to support the organization!

Old 04-25-2012, 10:40 PM   #15
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

$35...... A Deal
George will have this all fixed in a few months

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote