Price for Pulled Pork

DirtyDirty00

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
A buddy of mine runs a snackbar (ya, i know, weve heard this one before)...

I have been making him pulled pork for the last 6 months. I just made him a 3rd batch. I have been charging him $25 per butt. usually 6 butts, so $150 total.

this includes me buying them from RD, buying the injection, rubs, wood ect. Then smoking them for roughly 8 hours and pulling them and delivering it to the snackbar.

However after this last time the butts were pretty big and cost more than usual. the 6 butts were around 62 pounds total. thats a bit over 10 lbs per butt. So at 1.35 per lb, my meat was already hovering $85. tack on 6 at the supermarket, rubs and fuel, i probably make about 40-45 bucks for the batch (which is not worth it).

So this time i told him there were 7 butts bc they were so heavy and charged the extra $25. So at least i made roughly $70.

If someone wanted to buy in bulk like this, how much do you charge? Per pound? Per butt? And if by pound, do you do it precook weight, or after cook weight? How much per lb precook?

Thanks guys.

My rule of thumb is to go four times the cost of the meat... this gives 25% to the meat cost, 25% to incidentals such as fuel, rubs etc. and about 50% for my time. Of course this calculation works for me and I'm not saying it's perfect for everyone. If you are paying for any kind of brick and mortar site to do the cooking, you will need to charge more. I used to do it for a lot less but soon found that I had "good friends" coming out of the woodwork. Now unless you gave me a Christmas present or it's for a church function, you gotta pay me for my time...

I sell pulled pork for $11.50 per lb. I would cut him 30 to 40% discount if he was ordering when I was already cooking. It is hard for two people to make a profit on BBQ.

My rule of thumb is to go four times the cost of the meat... this gives 25% to the meat cost, 25% to incidentals such as fuel, rubs etc. and about 50% for my time. Of course this calculation works for me and I'm not saying it's perfect for everyone. If you are paying for any kind of brick and mortar site to do the cooking, you will need to charge more. I used to do it for a lot less but soon found that I had "good friends" coming out of the woodwork. Now unless you gave me a Christmas present or it's for a church function, you gotta pay me for my time...
yeeuupp...once you give your product away, that is all it ever will be worth...
however if this is a big volumn, then you have some wiggle room..next cook log in how much time and cost it took just to pick up the meat, time it took to prep and cost of supplies, now dont forget to log in how much time it took to clean up and delivery? When you see or can show him how much time is involved asking a fair price is documented and justified.....but up here I get between 10 to 11.50 per lb and will adjust for a special function..

I always had a 40lb cooked weight minimum at $9.00 per lb so $360 to them. My cost on that was roughly $120 take out fule ,rub ,wood ,time ect. I would end up with about $180ish and I would also show them what they would make off it. 3 sammies per lb at $8.00 min each so about $960 minus rolls and sauce and product they end up with about.$500 plus or minus

If you want to charge by uncooked weight, an injected 8 pound butt will yield 4 to 5 pounds of end product or one 1/2 tray

Back