Sauceless Chicken?

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hi,

Has anyone experimented with turning in sauceless chicken in an effort to keep the skin as crispy as possible?

Did you have any success?

Thanks,

Eric

i would imagine it's more likely people have turned in sauced skinless chicken rather than unsauced skin on chicken.

but, i haven't tried either, so what do i know?

I see a few sauce-less entries each year - not many, maybe one out of every three or four contests has one like that. Most of the judges will give you a fair shake on this, judging "as presented by the cook". Notice I said "most" but it only takes two judges that want to follow their own rules to put you out of the running.

I've turned in sauceless chicken breasts before with moderate success.

There is no requirement for sauce and most chicken gets turned in horribly over-sauced. So, as a judge, I'd love to rate your entry. Other posters are correct, though. The risk is the hare-brained judges who don't judge by the rules.

Hub

I'm not trying to be aggressive and this is not aimed at anyone in this discussion. As a new competitor about to start my second season competing there is a HUUUUUGE disconnect between what many judges are saying versus the scores across the board for what I call lab rat chicken.

I keep hearing judges talk but the scores are what inspires the cooks. When judges stop awarding for over sauced boiled in butter and candied muffin chicken then cooks will stop serving it.

I don't see how even a poor judge can avoid noticing that boiled in butter "comp chicken" is overcooked. I cook it and have walked with it and many of those beating me also serve it.

I beg the judges to start marking down over cooked chicken.

Last edited:
Back