MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:23 PM   #1
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Default Team Sponsor Conflicting w/ Comp?

Hi,

Has anyone ever had a problem where your team being sponsored by a company has upset a competition organizer?

For example, a radio station or restaurant sponsoring your team, so you hang their banners and such but the organizer offers category exclusivity to the events sponsors, including restaurants and radio stations?

Has anyone run into a situation like that?

Thanks,

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2011, 03:27 PM   #2
Bourbon Barrel BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Drew

Im interested to hear what people have to say about this. We are in early talks with a bourbon distiller and I'm not sure the folks in Lynchburg would be happy with us flying their banner should we be lucky enough to get it.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:33 PM   #3
QN
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourbon Barrel BBQ View Post
Im interested to hear what people have to say about this. We are in early talks with a bourbon distiller and I'm not sure the folks in Lynchburg would be happy with us flying their banner should we be lucky enough to get it.
I can tell you from personal experience that you will not fly any banner or sign with any brown liquor product other than Jack in Lynchburg. A couple/few years ago I had to go ask a team to remove said identifiers from their site. They were very nice about it. They said they knew they would not be able to display it, but just wanted to get a photo. They took it down and went on with the contest. I have been involved with some other contests as described above where there are paying sponsors of the event and they have priority over individual team sponsors. I have seen some teams required to cover up logos on trailers to conceal sponsor logos when they conflicted with event sponsors. I don't think this is unusual. Hope this helps answer the questions.
22" Weber
Weber Summit SS natural gas
QN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2011, 05:10 PM   #4
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Do you think that information about the events policy regarding team sponsorships should be included in the competitors application?

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-09-2011, 05:58 PM   #5
Pig Headed
Babbling Farker

Absolutely. It could spare some embarrasing moments and hard feeling later.

Pigheaded BBQ Team
www.pigheadedbbq.com
KCBS CBJ

Stumps Stretch (Raquel) Eagles Green.
1 -22" Weber WSM, 1 - 18"Weber WSM's
2 - 22" kettles
6x12 Haulmark Trailer
Pig Headed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2011, 07:27 PM   #6
Coz
is One Chatty Farker

Sams Club events had some wording about sponsor signage ,I dont remember the exact wording.
Stumps Clone " CHRISTINE " ONE Evil Biotch and another in process

BRINGIN' THE HEAT BBQ Team
just Cloning around
Coz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2011, 08:05 PM   #7
Flavor Gangster
On the road to being a farker

It's a shame BBQ contests have become wannabe political marketing showcases. If you have a sponsor that is supporting your team you should be able to fly whatever the hell you want on your pit space. You paid for that 20x30 spot for the day.

To Any Organizers:
BBQ Manufactures or affiliates and BBQ as a segment in the food industry will not feel the pinch if your sponsor is the same as the organizers. They can't even track their current return on investmements as a large corporate sponsor. They should not be looking anywhere near the independants or small business sponsors.

Now, if Costco showed up with their own team to compete at a Sam's event you may have situation. Other than that, people should be less worried about banners and more concerned how their event is run.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:35 PM   #8
Bourbon Barrel BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by QN View Post
I can tell you from personal experience that you will not fly any banner or sign with any brown liquor product other than Jack in Lynchburg. A couple/few years ago I had to go ask a team to remove said identifiers from their site. They were very nice about it. They said they knew they would not be able to display it, but just wanted to get a photo. They took it down and went on with the contest. I have been involved with some other contests as described above where there are paying sponsors of the event and they have priority over individual team sponsors. I have seen some teams required to cover up logos on trailers to conceal sponsor logos when they conflicted with event sponsors. I don't think this is unusual. Hope this helps answer the questions.
I can cover a banner I cant change my team name. :)
Bourbon Barrel BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2011, 09:16 PM   #9
Cloudsmoker
is one Smokin' Farker

HA! Now, you've definitely got a situation brewing with that one.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:01 PM   #10
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

We love our sponsors (Thanks Kosmo and Simply Marvelous!)...we're gonna fly their banners...or we ain't cookin'...
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-09-2011, 10:32 PM   #11
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavor Gangster View Post
It's a shame BBQ contests have become wannabe political marketing showcases. If you have a sponsor that is supporting your team you should be able to fly whatever the hell you want on your pit space. You paid for that 20x30 spot for the day.
Not really different then compitition sponsors. They help pay for all spaces, supplies, or maybe even prize money. If a team.sponsor is a direct competitor of theirs I don't blame an event sponsor for requesting non-competes.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2011, 12:56 AM   #12
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I fly mine around the world but if I can't for some reason I see to it that I'm logo down on our uniforms.

I'm not sponsored by and I never received a flag but I fly the Brethren! :D

Australia

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2011, 01:04 AM   #13
Dr_KY

Spicewine, ProQ and Grandhall. :)

Australia

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2011, 05:27 PM   #14
Sawdustguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavor Gangster View Post

To Any Organizers:
BBQ Manufactures or affiliates and BBQ as a segment in the food industry will not feel the pinch if your sponsor is the same as the organizers. They can't even track their current return on investmements as a large corporate sponsor. They should not be looking anywhere near the independants or small business sponsors.

Now, if Costco showed up with their own team to compete at a Sam's event you may have situation. Other than that, people should be less worried about banners and more concerned how their event is run.
Political Marketing Showcases? Give it a rest. Even though you paid for your spot, every contest has rules that the competitor must follow. Your are not free to do whatever the hell you want. You really have to look at the big picture instead of having tunnel vision.

If I am a sponsor and pay good money to an organizer, the last thing I want is any recognition for my competition at contest I am paying to sponsor. Why would I spend money for something that potentially helps my competition? If that were to happen you have a company that will not sponsor your contest next year.

Your comment about large corporate sponsors is also way off base. Suppose Weber sponsors a contest (they sponsor a lot of contests) and the local Grill Store decides to compete. They put up a banner advertising they are a Brinkman distributor and on the banner is the statement, "Brinkman, the less costly alternative to Weber". How would you expect Weber to react when they are paying to sponsor the contest. I garranty Weber would never sponsor that contest again.

Remember, good reliable sponsors are difficult to find. You don't want to piss them off. No matter how well an event can be run, without sponsors, there is no event.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2011, 07:11 PM   #15
Flavor Gangster
On the road to being a farker

Thats cool man, they still won't feel it or catch it on there bottom line. I never liked rules much.

Wy should Weber care if a team shows up sponsored by Brinkman. Really. How does it effect there sales. Cmon dude! Seriously.