• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Price

captndan

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I got the butts yesterday for the BBQ at the County Fair. Packing house price from Smithfields was $1.37. So, as a guide line this is what the big boys are paying.

Yep. Blame it on the dang ethanol increasing the corn demand and high fuel costs, I guess.

I bought my last two butts on sale for $1.48, and the same store would put 'em on sale last summer all the time for $1.28, and even sometimes $.98 a lb. Sam's sells two at a time for the fantastic price of $1.59 lb, if I recall, at least .20 higher than last year.

I think I paid $1.89 last time I bought butts individually. Case price at the local BJ's is $1.62 last I bought them by the case a couple weeks ago.

I wish I could sell butts for less than $2. Wholesale pricing won't let me do it. I'd be out of business if I tried.

On a side note... I bought 2 racks of St Louis ribs yesterday @ Whole Foods: $5.99 a lb. I nearly choked when I saw the price: $32

Got even though. As the butcher there was weighing them, I said:

"oh... can you remove the membrane for me?"

Wish I had a camera to capture his expression.

Him: "I'll try."

Me: "C'Mon dude, you're a pro. You can do it."

Took him a good 5-7 minutes. Nice to know that some butchers are no better than we are at removing that foul tissue.

The butts were $4.99 a lb there. Think I'll stick with Costco from now on.

On a side note... I bought 2 racks of St Louis ribs yesterday @ Whole Foods: $5.99 a lb. I nearly choked when I saw the price: $32

Took him a good 5-7 minutes. Nice to know that some butchers are no better than we are at removing that foul tissue.

Any butcher worth his salt should ask if you want it removed. I volunteer to remove the membrane from every rack of ribs that leaves my store. VERY few folks don't take me up on that. As a result, I have gotten pretty quick at ripping those suckers off. :becky:

Any butcher worth his salt should ask if you want it removed. I volunteer to remove the membrane from every rack of ribs that leaves my store. VERY few folks don't take me up on that. As a result, I have gotten pretty quick at ripping those suckers off. :becky:

If you ever decide to open a store in Maryland, I'll be your customer. I totally agree with you.

I understood, but the guy was less than friendly when he was done. Not good for business, either. Costco from now on. No more impulse buys.

Service like yours Whitfield, I'd be back 2-3x a week. Glad to hear customer service is alive and kicking!

Jalon

The grocery store here in town has butts for $2.19 a pound.

I can get em at Sam's for $1.79 but if I get em by the case they are $1.59.

Bone in butts at my local store today are $2.49/lb. Last year I could get them closer to $1.50.

Butts in my local stores go from anywhere between $1.89/lb and $2.49/lb unless they are on sale. I have bought Smithfields butts on sale before as low as .99/lb but more commonly at $1.29/lb...

If you ever decide to open a store in Maryland, I'll be your customer. I totally agree with you.

I understood, but the guy was less than friendly when he was done. Not good for business, either. Costco from now on. No more impulse buys.

I'd have told him, and the manager that I'd never shop there again, and why. Poor customer service is the quickest way to lose my business. I still won't set foot in a Lowe's, and it's been 5 years since my wife and I were treated poorly.

Matt

Kroger last week had butts for .97 a pound. We wound up buying 9, 12# butts. (Garage deep freezer FTW!)

That wasn't the interesting buy though... my dad in Pearland told us the HEB near him had beautiful thick cut bacon for $1.50 a pound. That's a great deal in my book. I hadn't seen prices that low in ages. I had him pick up 15# for me, and then when I went to pick them up, we decided to stop in for a little more.

Debbie's and my jaws both hit the floor when we noticed the packages were (for some reason) ringing up for $1 each. 30 more it was!

The humorous part was driving home, she looked over and me and said "Baby, if you wanted to get 100 pounds of bacon, before they catch the mistake... I wouldn't stop you. It'll keep in the freezer!".

That phrase alone made me feel happier about having her, than a trunk full of bacon.

Our problem now is, the freezer is just about full, and we have a competition coming up in a few weeks. If ribs go on sale, they are gonna have to wait in the indoor freezer. :(

Bone in butts @ Rd was 1.67 if you got more than 50lbs then it was more like 1.47/pound.

This is why I like having a butcher shop like Whit's right around the corner...:clap2::thumb:

One more price. Dollar General Market has Hormel KC cut for $2.75. That's everyday price.

I got the butts yesterday for the BBQ at the County Fair. Packing house price from Smithfields was $1.37. So, as a guide line this is what the big boys are paying.

Here in South Jersey, From the butcher / slaughter house I pay $1.69 lb in case lots, 40 lb to a case, all nicely trimmed.

Store pricing is around $2.49 - $2.89 per lb without any trimming.

I'm handicapped with a left arm and hand that doesn't hardly work... it doesn't take me but about 30 seconds to peel. You gotta know the tricks... Use the smooth handle end of a flatware table spoon and work it under the edge of one end of the membrane. Work it over a bone or two towards the nearest end until you get a decent chunk free. Grab a towel and grip the membrane with it. Place your other hand on the end of the rack and pull like hell!

Our problem now is, the freezer is just about full, and we have a competition coming up in a few weeks. If ribs go on sale, they are gonna have to wait in the indoor freezer. :(

Sounds like you just need to get another freezer! :thumb:

Back