iQue 110 and WSM temp

forgop

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
My iQue 110 arrived today, installed it, and already fired up the smoker tonight. In comparing the iQue 110 temp with the temp reading from the WSM lid, there's a HUGE difference...as in the iQue turning a green light at 250 whereas my lid is showing well under 200. It is a bit chilly tonight and the temp probe is clipped on the top rack.

The WSM did get rained on and the thermometer on the lid did have condensation in the glass, so I'm not sure which one to trust at the moment.

I would remove the WSM thermometer and calibrate it in boiling water.

I have seen pretty large deviations from my grate temperature and the lid temperature, particularly early in the cook. Don't know that I have seen 50 degrees though. I would test both in boiling water. Likewise, I would get a throw away oven thermometer and put it on the top grate for a 'live' check under cooking conditions.

I have seen that much difference on my UDS. After some testing, I discovered there actually is that much difference. I clipped my Maverick lead and my iQue lead side by side on the grate and they were within 5 degrees of each other. It is amazing how much temperature difference there can be in the smoker. It was an eye opener.

I have also noticed a huge difference in the temps in my UDS at different levels. My iQue 110 will be in the green at 250 degrees with my Maverick ET-73 within 5 degrees but my 12 inch turkey fryer thermometer (which has been tested in boiling water) that is 2 inches below the grate usually reads 20 degrees higher.

Last edited:
I just got my IQ110 today and haven't had a chance to play with it yet. My experience with my WSM is that the lid is always hotter than the lower grates for the first hour or so of the cook, until everything evens out. If you are seeing higher grate temps than lid temps, something is wrong. Make sure the alligator temp prob is in the middle of the top grate and well away from the edges where all the heat radiates on the WSM. Let me know your set up, I'm about to start messing with my IQ.

I don't think it is as much the level as it is that you are reading right in the center with the 12" turkey fryer thermometer. I think it is because the charcoal basket sits directly in the center and it is actually hotter in the center, especially with no baffle or diffuser. I have seen 30 degree differences from center to near edge.

I have also noticed a huge difference in the temps in my UDS at different levels. My iQue 110 will be in the green at 250 degrees with my Maverick ET-73 within 5 degrees but my 12 inch turkey fryer thermometer (which has been tested in boiling water) that is 2 inches below the grate usually reads 20 degrees higher.

Back