MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:09 PM   #1
rooftop bbq
On the road to being a farker

Default The BBQ sauce business

Hey everyone, we have our BBQ sauce in the works. We found our co-packer, approved the test bottle, found our label printer, got our nutrition facts and ingredients list. Got our product approved by the state . But now im lost when it comes to some key factors. Anyone who knows the bussiness and can help well be greatly appreciated.

UPC codes: Do you need to go through GS1 US or can you use one of the other sites that sell there UPC codes. We are looking into having our product local stores.

Business license: What kind of business licence do i need to get, I would also like to use this business for caterting, There well be 4 of us as co owners. Is that a good idea?

Liability insurance: Is it general Liability insurance I need to get and if so how much. Well this cover the product and catering. Any leads to good insurance reps is helpful.

Thanks everyone
rooftop bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2011, 04:35 PM   #2
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Being out in CA, there is no telling what kind of BS you will run into. I'd talk to a lawyer.
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2011, 04:50 PM   #3
FltEng
On the road to being a farker

Business partners in general are a bad idea; especially if they are friends or relatives.

Pit Barrel Cooker with AF logo
Weber Gold Kettle 22 1/2"
[B][COLOR=DarkOrange]Orange [/COLOR][/B]Thermapen
Maverick ET-732 (2)
FltEng is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2011, 05:04 PM   #4
J_Don
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FltEng View Post
Business partners in general are a bad idea; especially if they are friends or relatives.
Don't want to burst your bubble but I have to agree with FltEng on this one. I ended up losing a good friend through a business venture. It may not be you but it is amazing what greed can do to a friendship. Just my 2c worth.
Kenmore Elite Gasser w/ Rotisserie
Cajun Cooker (3)
UDS In Progress
[COLOR=#0000ff]BLUESMAN[/COLOR] Splashproof [COLOR=#0000ff]BLUE [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen :bow:[/COLOR]
H D FXSTD
J_Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2011, 05:40 PM   #5
Cast Iron Chef
is One Chatty Farker

I would incorporate to protect each of you. Set the rules in stone will help. Liability insurance only covers damages or slips and falls. You will need product liability insurance as well to cover your product.
22.5" Weber One Touch Platinum
[SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000][COLOR=RoyalBlue]Genesis[/COLOR] 3 Gasser
Bradley [/COLOR][/SIZE]Bisquette[SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000] Pooper
Bullpen BBQ Team
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Cast Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote