The Official Popdaddy's Ingredient List

Was James Brown the Father of Funk? I know he was the Godfather. I forget.

No... James Brown RESISTED the force of funk for a while. What he do at first was make his horn lines part of the rhythm of the music. Take Cold Sweat. Before cold sweat horn lines were to punctuate the melody. In CS it defines the rhythm and cannot be separated from it without changing the song.

As many of you know, George Clinton ended up being the God Father of the Funk and thus was named "Salt" in my ingredients as that is in the forefront. So then, why, if I use a lot of Pepper, do I not list James Brown as Pepper instead of Larry Graham. Its funny, I really don't use ANY brown sugar in anything but sauces.... Little Richard, though, is White sugar and deserves to be.... its in lots of stuff. He is very very important and predates James as well.

Well therein lies the little story of how JB rejected the funk.

For a short time Larry was a Bassist for James Brown's ever revolving core of musicians. One day the drummer did not show and Larry simply provided the bass slap in replacement for percussion. Larry sis this as a child because his band at times did not have a good drummer. James utilized this for practice but did not want it in the shows, Larry was eventually cast out for a while as that was not the sound JB wanted. BUT by the late 1960's... he hired Boosty Collins, who also slapped, thumped and plucked the bass as well. Larry went on to use this technique in Sly's band and after Stone broke up as a result of Sly's drug adictions (and a silly crush on Doris day) Larry formed Graham Central.

But Sly and the family Stone had done something great - pushed the bass forward as a featured instrument, expanded the SIZE of the typical Band, Expanded the COMPLEXION, of the typical band, Expanded the AUDIENCE and subject material... all the while making it dancable.

This is the envirnment GC would pick up and go with it.

George Clinton - who was forming member of the 1950's do wop group The Parliaments (named after the ciggarettes). Now the name of the group is actually a real mess... GC had more trouble actually securing the NAME of a group than anyone ever. He lost the use of the "parliaments" for a while, the went with "Funkadelic" then got back the partial name "Parliament" and then I think by about the mid 70's was able to fuse those bands together to form Parliament Funkadelic. This tremoendous mobility and disloyalties that happned among sould bands (which is why he would legally lose rights to a name at times) eventually paid off in the environment it created.

Boosty Left JB, as did the Horny Horns and before long you had a HUGE LOAD of messy of slippery, shiney gooey Funk up in the womb onstage and dripping out all over the place it funky mess stankin up the universe. (You have to know the Funk and its early reviews to get this reference).

Behind the Driving Horzs, funky slapping and thumpin of the Bass (now the instrument is forced to prominence is a lineup) you also have Jimmy Hendricks influences, as in Cosmic Slop.

Sound Messy? So Is BBQ! It is Order out of Chaos.

So we have JB the Godfather of Soul and Soul Brutha Number One

And George Clinton who picked up the rejected bass fortunes of Bootsy, who learned (arguably) from Larry, and the Hornz and the goo that was expelled and united them to form a new music (FUNK) that in return got to be such a collosus that JB and everyone had to accept elements from it.

I forgot to say... Sly Stone is Tomato Paste and Family Stone if Ketchup. Or is the other way around... chit

I kinda liked it, takes me back to when I was growing up in Richmond, CA and listened to these musicians. And heard this progression. I was always more of a fan of Larry Graham, but, Bootsy pushed some of the effects on bass as far as you could go.

It still makes the recipes a little hard to follow at times.

I liked the run down bfunk. I'm right there wit you. I once saw Bootsy saying that the funkiest place on the planet was where ever JB was standing and his top all time funkateers were, in order, James Brown, George Clinton, Larry Graham and then himself. Casper got no time for modesty:icon_cool

I fogot some of my own chit. when will i ever keep jesse johnson and sinatra straight.

Sour Cream. Here she is back when she was someone's daughter. Now she is too old for Popdaddy. I don't like being nasty so I will not be here.

When I this video came out I was. lets see, 34-35 and newly divorced and wild like a mo fo... the Missouri type. Of course I could not find a girl like this and scribble all over her but when I met my wife who was 21 or 22 about this time, she seemed like a pretty good place to deposit my sour cream into so I hitched up with her and its been bliss ever since. Of course rthen came the rediscovery of my true love Brisket and I added nearly 50 pounds of ugly fat to the old body.

View attachment 38203
My wife, maybe 2001, dressed and ready to go out to The Gold Club in Hartford. Shaved too!

View attachment 38201
Me back in 2005 - Hunt Texas

View attachment 38200
Sadly, we all got to get old... the old lady today

Last edited by a moderator:
icon1.gif

Anyone who wants to debate whether Mrs. Aguilera is both sexy enough, has the voice enough and is old school enough to represent Sour Cream I submit this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hYGp...eature=channel

No... James Brown RESISTED the force of funk for a while. What he do at first was make his horn lines part of the rhythm of the music. Take Cold Sweat. Before cold sweat horn lines were to punctuate the melody. In CS it defines the rhythm and cannot be separated from it without changing the song.

As many of you know, George Clinton ended up being the God Father of the Funk and thus was named "Salt" in my ingredients as that is in the forefront. So then, why, if I use a lot of Pepper, do I not list James Brown as Pepper instead of Larry Graham. Its funny, I really don't use ANY brown sugar in anything but sauces.... Little Richard, though, is White sugar and deserves to be.... its in lots of stuff. He is very very important and predates James as well.

Well therein lies the little story of how JB rejected the funk.

For a short time Larry was a Bassist for James Brown's ever revolving core of musicians. One day the drummer did not show and Larry simply provided the bass slap in replacement for percussion. Larry sis this as a child because his band at times did not have a good drummer. James utilized this for practice but did not want it in the shows, Larry was eventually cast out for a while as that was not the sound JB wanted. BUT by the late 1960's... he hired Boosty Collins, who also slapped, thumped and plucked the bass as well. Larry went on to use this technique in Sly's band and after Stone broke up as a result of Sly's drug adictions (and a silly crush on Doris day) Larry formed Graham Central.

But Sly and the family Stone had done something great - pushed the bass forward as a featured instrument, expanded the SIZE of the typical Band, Expanded the COMPLEXION, of the typical band, Expanded the AUDIENCE and subject material... all the while making it dancable.

This is the envirnment GC would pick up and go with it.

George Clinton - who was forming member of the 1950's do wop group The Parliaments (named after the ciggarettes). Now the name of the group is actually a real mess... GC had more trouble actually securing the NAME of a group than anyone ever. He lost the use of the "parliaments" for a while, the went with "Funkadelic" then got back the partial name "Parliament" and then I think by about the mid 70's was able to fuse those bands together to form Parliament Funkadelic. This tremoendous mobility and disloyalties that happned among sould bands (which is why he would legally lose rights to a name at times) eventually paid off in the environment it created.

Boosty Left JB, as did the Horny Horns and before long you had a HUGE LOAD of messy of slippery, shiney gooey Funk up in the womb onstage and dripping out all over the place it funky mess stankin up the universe. (You have to know the Funk and its early reviews to get this reference).

Behind the Driving Horzs, funky slapping and thumpin of the Bass (now the instrument is forced to prominence is a lineup) you also have Jimmy Hendricks influences, as in Cosmic Slop.

Sound Messy? So Is BBQ! It is Order out of Chaos.

So we have JB the Godfather of Soul and Soul Brutha Number One

And George Clinton who picked up the rejected bass fortunes of Bootsy, who learned (arguably) from Larry, and the Hornz and the goo that was expelled and united them to form a new music (FUNK) that in return got to be such a collosus that JB and everyone had to accept elements from it.

I forgot to say... Sly Stone is Tomato Paste and Family Stone if Ketchup. Or is the other way around... chit

Man, thanks for the history. (You'd think that I'd know a little more of this stuff than I do, since I often play my horn in soul/blues bands.) Your videos are educating a bunch of folks to some of the best music there's ever been, so hats off to ya!

Oh yeah...VERY good taste in Christina A. I've seen videos of her as a child. When did she NOT know how to sing?

Man, thanks for the history. (You'd think that I'd know a little more of this stuff than I do, since I often play my horn in soul/blues bands.) Your videos are educating a bunch of folks to some of the best music there's ever been, so hats off to ya!

Oh yeah...VERY good taste in Christina A. I've seen videos of her as a child. When did she NOT know how to sing?

Hey does Cherokee Marina in Gallatin (I think) still not accept... LOL Cherokees? They had a bad reputation when I lived there and I moved my 1963 Owens Tahitian to Drakes Creek Marina because of their little NAACP problem.

Back