Contest Results Ben Biken BBQ Bash Sparta WI Sept 12-13, 2008 ***Results Added***

Smokin' Joe

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Anyone ever cooked at this event or plan to cook this year? That weekend is open and we are considering heading up.
Your thoughts/comments would be appreciated
Joe

We deceided to give it a go...Hope to met a brother or two there.

Went last year. Had a great time. I would love to go agian but not going to make it this year.

Ben Biken made an appearance...
Sparta 025.jpg

....so did Daisy Duke. She's really let herself go.
Sparta 026.jpg

Here's my first place ribs. :mrgreen:
Sparta 029.jpg

Thanks Mr. Mayor...glad to hear you had a good time, looks like a nice place. Hopefully Daisy stays home this year:shock:

I am looking at trying to make this - yeah, I know - nothing like planning ahead. I heard there are only about 10 teams signed up for this. Has anyone else heard this?

Clark, if your going by yourself gimme a call, we can share gas money.

If not that's fine too, I'll just have to stay home with my baby (hard work I know).

Their web page shows 15 or 16 teams signed up and I dont see a lot of the usual culprits yet.Is there another contest that day any where near?

I just took a look at the KCBS schedule and dont see much for competing events with Salem ,Il cancelled.Silver Lake ,Mi? might pull a few of the Illinois competitors,I would find it hard to believe they wouldnt have a very good field of competitors.I have heard that this was a pretty decent comp.

I just took a look at the KCBS schedule and dont see much for competing events with Salem ,Il cancelled.Silver Lake ,Mi? might pull a few of the Illinois competitors,I would find it hard to believe they wouldnt have a very good field of competitors.I have heard that this was a pretty decent comp.

I want to make a correction on my previous statement.I see on another board that the contest I said was cancelled isnt cancelled its just not sanctioned.Maybe its a bad weekend for folks to be out.

Well, that pretty much settles it then - I have to go!
I'm hoping to go. I have a friend in Onalaska that wants to check one out. I think he got bit by the Q bug.

Clark, if your going by yourself gimme a call, we can share gas money.
I was gonna take the boys to get them out of mommas hair for the evening. Oldest has a football game in the morning, so it would be an "up and back" kind of trip.
You can ride along for free if I go.

I see I'm the last one(15th) listed on the website and they just got my entry last week so it must be up to date...I talked to Jim last week and he still thought they would have 25-30 teams? Like Coz said it appears like many of the usuals are not listed including the 2 fat bikers. Coz are you thinking of cooking? I hope to get a chance to meet a few brethren...Stop in and say hello if you get there.
Joe

By the way this will be my first sanctioned event so go easy on me:-D

They have 18 teams signed up as of today...hope to see you guys there!

Just got back from Sparta.
Had a chance to meet Sir Smokes A Lot. He was doing some testing on chicken and was kind enough to share.
Let me tell you, that was some incredible chicken.
Once again, I was not disappointed in meeting another Brethren.
Great to meet you SSAL, hope you have a great cook!

From "another forum"...

GC Dr. Porkenstein
RGC Tippy Canoe BBQ

Firefightn' Cookin' Crew
Bunsen Burners
Big Time BBQ Buddies
Farm Boy BBQ
Daddio of the Patio
Porkrastinators
2 Fat Bikers

Big Boar Smokers

Congrats, Kate and Alex, Smokin' Joe and Buzz and Dan!

Chicken
Farm Boy BBQ
Porkrastinators
Big Time BBQ Buddies
Dr. Porkinstein
Burnt Food Dudes
Big Boar Smokers
Daddio of the Patio
Firefightin' Cookin' Crew
Dry 2 da bone
Luv-to-Q

Pork Ribs
Dr. Porkinstein
Firefighten Cookin Crew
Porkrastinators
Demon Pig BBQ
TippyCanoe BBQ Crew
2 Fat Bikers

Bunsen Burners
Road Warriors
Fram Boy BBQ
Burnt Food Dudes

Pork
Bunsen Burners
TippyCanoe BBQ Crew
Big Time BBQ Buddies
Daddio of the Patio
Dr. Porkinstein
Farm Boy BBQ
Firefighten' Cookin' Crew
Schweaty Hogs
FNG Smokers
Demon Pig BBQ

Brisket
It's the Pits
TippyCanoe BBQ Crew
Bunsen Burners
Bit Time BBQ Buddies
Dr. Porkinstein
Firefighten' cookin' crew
2 Fat Bikers
Porkrastinators

Daddio of the Patio
Sergeant Smoker

We had and great time and managed to stay fairly dry. Congrats to all the fellow brothers. I will post some thoughts and pictures later.

Congrats to all the Brethren that calls and competed. Hopefully the rain wasnt to bad

Last edited:
Back