MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:47 AM   #1
asmonro
Got Wood.

Default Thoughts on WSM?

Pretty sure I am going to get a WSM, however, still very undecided on which size to get. I normally cook for small groups of people (10-15) so I know that the 18.5 would be good for that, but I keep going back to the 22.5 because of the potential to do larger groups and ability to fit full racks of ribs and packer briskets. Amount of fuel is not an issue to me. Anyone have any thoughts on which one I should get?
asmonro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2013, 11:49 AM   #2
BobM
Babbling Farker

I have both an 18 1/2" and 22 1/2" WSM. I use them both. If I had to have just one, I'd get the 22 1/2" model.

Good luck.
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2013, 11:51 AM   #3
aawa
Babbling Farker

Get the 18.5in one and learn your craft. Catch the bbq bug and then build yourself a 2 rack UDS. UDS is the same concept as a WSM but with less area's where you can get air leaks.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:52 AM   #4
Frank Mahovlich
Full Fledged Farker

All comes down to personal preference and what will be the best fit for you.

Did my first large-scale (for me, at least) cook for about 30 people. Smoked a 15lb brisket packer. Pulled it from the smoker and slipped it into the oven. Then put 12 racks of St. Louis spare ribs on the smoker. All ended up being done about the same time and I was able to feed this group with a ton of leftovers.

I don't plan on feeding big groups like that very often, but it's nice to know I have the horsepower should the need arise. I have the WSM 22.5. Size matters!
Frank Mahovlich is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 08-15-2013, 11:53 AM   #5
NeilH
is one Smokin' Farker

For 10-15 and potentially more, i'd go with the 22 as well for the ease of using.
NeilH is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2013, 11:54 AM   #6
Frank Mahovlich
Full Fledged Farker

Also- may be a good idea to keep tabs on Craigslist. Ya never know what ya might find. I checked there on a whim and ended up finding my WSM 22. Brand new, still in the box, $150. I couldn't afford not to buy it.
Frank Mahovlich is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2013, 12:40 PM   #7
dbq
Full Fledged Farker

I've watched CL for a year and never seen a WSM available, in my area that's why I'm working on the UDS.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:52 PM   #8
charrederhead
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

If $$$ is no object, go bigger.

Old 08-15-2013, 01:16 PM   #9
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle
is one Smokin' Farker

If you have the ability to, I'd say go with the 22. You can always do smaller cooks with your 22 but you can't do bigger cooks with the 18.

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2013, 01:22 PM   #10
cds9333
Full Fledged Farker

I would go with the 22. It is what I have been running for two years. It has been great for everything from as small as two racks of spares up to 30# of brisket and 20# of butts. It could have held more, but that is the most I have put on it at once. It can also hold large briskets (17#+) or several rib racks flat on each level.

I also made a smaller charcoal ring out of expanded metal to do the smaller cooks.
cds9333 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2013, 03:28 PM   #11
5string
is one Smokin' Farker

I have both, if I had to pick one it would be the 22.5
At least then you would have the option if more space is needed.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:48 PM   #12
Gasket
Full Fledged Farker

Go with the 22.5. You can do smaller cooks if you need to and just shut down all the vents to extinguish the coals. I always have left over coals for the next cook.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:26 PM   #13
asmonro
Got Wood.

Thank you all for the help in deciding. Now to convince the wife. Any major downfalls with the WSM? Also, are there any must do mods before use?
asmonro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2013, 05:41 PM   #14
NeilH
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmonro View Post
Thank you all for the help in deciding. Now to convince the wife. Any major downfalls with the WSM? Also, are there any must do mods before use?
I'd say a slot for your probes if you plan to use a temp device. Wheels won't hurt either.
NeilH is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2013, 05:43 PM   #15
Happy Hapgood
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

There are many ways to get alot more meat on an 18.5. Rib racks, etc. If fuel is not a consideration, I say go with the 22. I can do up to a 16# full packer brisket on my 18.5 or 6 racks of ribs using rib racks (3 per shelf by bending them in a "U" shape) or 4 butts (2 per shelf). With about 12 lbs of KBB, I can run about 14 hours at 250*F +.

Turn a SS bowl upside down for a a large brisket:

Ribs on a rack:

You'll be happy either way. Good Luck!
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote