MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:34 PM   #31
BBQ_Mayor
is One Chatty Farker

Great read i think. Theres a lot of different cooking styles, technicques and flavors that are all great in there own rights. I'd like to judge different kinds of bbq other than getting the same tastes and looks over and over.
WSM, Whole Hog Lousianna pellet Smoker
IPT pellet Smoker and Gateway Drum
CBJ #4643
BBQ_Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2013, 12:47 PM   #32
cameraman
Babbling Farker

These guys are the bbq royalty of a good size market and a pretty hot destination city in a state synonymous with pig q. Many are nationally recognized for their product and deservedly so. They spelled out their criticism of comp q elsewhere in the article and it's based on their experience competing. Their opinions, right or wrong in your view, provide valuable commentary on the state of barbecue today. Nah, I'm just farkin with ya.
Smokey Joe (RIP)
a dorky little headlamp[/COLOR]
cameraman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2013, 12:59 PM   #33
Pappy Q
is One Chatty Farker

Those that can, DO and those that CAN'T, put down the ones that can.
Pappy Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-09-2013, 01:04 PM   #34
smokeisgood
is one Smokin' Farker

I think it is pretty easy to see what they are saying without taking offense. Talking BBQ in general, but take for specific example Trigg's ribs. He says he doesn't even like them, and cooks them differently at home, but they win him money. So why do they win him money, because "certified bbq judges" have taken a class and been told they are supposed to taste a certain way. Now, a great majority of the cooks put out some version of his ribs. Personally, I'd rather taste the one's he cooks at home and actually likes. I believe the shows like Pitmasters have fostered the perception that things should taste a certain way, even if that's not really that good. Which is why competition cooks I have talked to say they cook not to put out what they think is the best tasting product, but to offend the least amount of judges. Franklin's salt and pepper and garlic brisket probably would not score well these days, but where are actual people standing in line to eat? I think that's all they are saying.....but I could be wrong...

Old 07-09-2013, 01:22 PM   #35
Alexa RnQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

People are standing in line to eat what's being sold.

They'll also stand in line at People's Choice at BBQ contests.

[url=http://www.rhythmnque.com]Rhythm 'n QUE[/url]
Alexa RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #36
daninnewjersey
Babbling Farker

As a total rookie to comp BBQ (did my first last year in Wildwood) there are some things I noticed right away. First, just about every team was as nice as could be. We of course forgot to bring some things and wouldn't you know it some complete strangers we met there had hooked us up with what we needed. A greater group of people I have yet to find. Second....regarding the food...I agree with the article. While that bbq wins comps, it is SO labor intensive, ingredient filled, and downright complicated to make I got exhausted just watching some of these teams cook. We just cooked what we usually make...and hoped that we would beat at least one team.
We beat a few and in my book we were winners (especially since the ribs are the same ones I sell). Look to each his own I know...but it seems to me making the food that complicated would kinda take some of the fun out of it...for me anyway. I mean it seems if you don't have a muffin pan in your arsenal you really don't have a chance of doing well....

Old 07-09-2013, 01:32 PM   #37
smokeisgood
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa RnQ View Post
People are standing in line to eat what's being sold.

They'll also stand in line at People's Choice at BBQ contests.
There's pretty decent bbq sold on a whole lot of corners in Austin. If they are standing in line for hours at one guys restaurant, that's saying a lot....

Old 07-09-2013, 01:33 PM   #38
Pappy Q
is One Chatty Farker

Like Podge said, we cook for what the judges want just like they cook for what their customers want. If their customers started demanding competition BBQ, you could damn well bet they'd be cooking and serving that.
Pappy Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2013, 01:36 PM   #39
smokeisgood
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Q View Post
Like Podge said, we cook for what the judges want just like they cook for what their customers want. If their customers started demanding competition BBQ, you could damn well bet they'd be cooking and serving that.
Correct....I think that was their point in a round about fashion. At least, that's what I took from the article.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:48 PM   #40
rebelnorm
Found some matches.

Can't speak for the Jack but the MBN contests I judge I have never gotten anything that was inedible. Some might be tough, too sweet or too hot but again everyone has their own taste preference.
rebelnorm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2013, 01:53 PM   #41
Pigs on Fire
Full Fledged Farker

Most judges will tell you that the BBQ they get to eat at competitions....you can't buy it. Meaning it is so much better than anything you can go to a restaurant and get....boutique 'Q or not...

As far as the homogenization....that result is the product of the judging tent. Competitors seek out what hits. There's not many competitors with a pair big enough to try bold differences to try to get a table of judges to snap at it and give a 180.

People can gripe about the pot roast flavor and bullion flavor of brisket all they want. Evidently, the judges like it.
Pigs on Fire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #42
cdkeach
Knows what a fatty is.

I find it interesting that someone with such a low opinion of competitive BBQ, specifically Peg Leg Porker, had no trouble lowering himself to appear and compete on Season 4 Pitmasters.
cdkeach is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:25 PM   #43
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdkeach View Post
I find it interesting that someone with such a low opinion of competitive BBQ, specifically Peg Leg Porker, had no trouble lowering himself to appear and compete on Season 4 Pitmasters.
No argument that Carey is a media-hound, but I think you either mis-read or mis-understood his comments. What I read Carey to say is that the flavour profiles "Kansas City BBQ" have crept into other santioning bodies, particularly MBN/MIM. He also said that the blind box style that wins in KCBS, notably sliced and cubed money muscle, is also more popular in MBN/MIM now than it once was. His point, as far as I was reading, is that Memphis syle competitive BBQ is being pushed out....for better or for worse.

I grew up in Memphis and have eaten plenty of Memphis BBQ, and I've had plenty of KCBS BBQ. I've tasted first place shoulder from Memphis in May, and in my opinion, it tasted a lot more like KCBS "pork" than it did anything you'd find in Gridley's, Willingham's, Corkey's, The Public Eye, or The Commissary. I think that was his point. Love it or hate it, but at least understand it...

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2013, 02:32 PM   #44
G$
is Blowin Smoke!

The Wright Thompson article (about the Fatback Collective) that was referenced in the piece was fascinating as well.
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2013, 02:32 PM   #45
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podge View Post
This was an interesting article. I will have to add, that us competitors are not bastardizing BBQ.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=165297
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote