E coli in BBQ restaurant

That is too bad. It only takes on careless moment, not washing your hands or produce well enough and you have an issue.

My crew hates it when I get on them about hygiene, but this points out the reason for diligence. 80% of food borne illness comes from improper personal hygiene, and in cases of E-coli its probably even higher. Wash your hands people!!!

e_coli_happens_tshirts-ra53857bcf48d463e97477304a05ed9a9_804gs_512.jpg

You might be surprised to know how many instances of food poisoning are due to improper prep/storage of beverages.

Foodborne pathogens can survive in brewed tea, but for tea brewed at an appropriate temperature–with water hot enough to kill pathogens–the issue of safety is primarily one of storage conditions and ensuring the tea dispenser has been cleaned and disinfected before use.

Brewing iced tea at an appropriate temperature in a thoroughly cleaned urn and limiting the time held at room temperature before serving will minimize the risk of bacterial contamination.

* Iced tea should be brewed at 195 F for 3-5 minutes. * Iced tea should be stored for no longer than 8 hours.
* The tea brewer, storage dispenser, and faucet should be cleaned daily.

Cases where foodborne illness occur from beverages is almost always due to unclean/disinfected storage containers and holding the tea for long periods of time. I know of one establishment that never threw out tea at the end of the day. They just topped it off each day with new brew and I doubt that the storage container was cleaned/disinfected more than once or twice a month. I never did drink their tea. :shock:

Drink UP!!!!! :wink:

I have no doubt that improperly made/stored/served ice tea can cause foodborne to propregate and make someone sick, but ecoli? I would think that is more likely from someone not washing their hands properly. No???

I have no doubt that improperly made/stored/served ice tea can cause foodborne to propregate and make someone sick, but ecoli? I would think that is more likely from someone not washing their hands properly. No???

The origin could well be improper hand washing but the source of transmission in this case appears to be the beverage/dispenser.

Could a lemon wedge put on the rim of the glass carry e coli?

Yes. It's not so much that the lemon itself may contain it, but that the outside of lemons may not be thoroughly cleaned, and servers almost always use their bare hands to reach into the container of lemon wedges and then puts it on your glass, again with their bare hands, which can be where the contamination really comes from.

http://voices.yahoo.com/care-little-e-coli-ice-water-with-912427.html

in New Jersey, %77 of the lemons tested in 21 local restaurants tested positve for bacteria. These lemons were contaminated with everything from E-coli to staph infection.

My husband's family is born and raised in the Royston area and my FIL and I had a discussion about this just the other day. He knows the owners and, as someone else stated, there goes their business. They will not recover from this as there are a handful of other BBQ restaurants in the area that are just as easy to drive to. The word is that yes it came from a beverage and it is very sad for that small little town to lose a family owned business that had been around for so long. It just goes to show that you can never be too careful.

I Live in Royston. I was told a few weeks back that they were having a "Re-Grand Opening" and inviting media to come out. I also heard it was the cole slaw. I haven't checked in to see how they are doing...

I Live in Royston. I was told a few weeks back that they were having a "Re-Grand Opening" and inviting media to come out. I also heard it was the cole slaw. I haven't checked in to see how they are doing...

I did hear that they were going to try, but if any of those families decide to sue them they will not be able to bear the financial weight of litigation and the business.

With having Bar-H, Zebs, Vanna (and others)...there is enough competition locally for them that they may have a very hard time picking up the pieces from this.

Back