MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:22 AM   #1
Bigbob
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Maintaing heat in CG Outlaw

I am planning on smoking a pork shoulder for fathers day along with a couple beer butt chickens. The issue I am running into is maintain the heat for the long hours on the CG. I was thinking of trying the minion method but I am nervous being that I have not test run it. Any other suggestions? Be easy I am a Noob
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 09:31 AM   #2
charrederhead
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

There is a great search feature on this site, located at the bottom of the page.

You should be able to find a whole bunch of ideas there to help you.

Good luck on the cook!

Old 06-12-2013, 09:40 AM   #3
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

thats quite the question. there is no way. keep your eye on it, turn it into the wind as it changes, light a chimney every 45 min, cuss and complain.
Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-12-2013, 09:46 AM   #4
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

well you have a few days to experiment

try the minion method with an empty cooker. Or put a few bricks in it to similuate a load of meat. See how it does. all you have to lose is some charcoal.

that what I would do
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 10:06 AM   #5
hamiltont
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : hamiltont

Well Bob, That's going to be a real challenge. I had one of those when I first started out. Did all the mods. The deflector plates, baffle plates, charcoal basket (hanging from the firebox grate rails so I could empty the ash without removing the fire), chimney extension, even added a temp controller. It all helped but it was still a PITA. I've since removed the firebox and converted it back to a charcoal grill. It works pretty good for that! Like others have said. Start out with the minion method (dump a fully lit chimney of coals on the smoker end, opposite the air intake), dump in a full chimney of fully lit, ashed over charcoal as needed. Oh, have plenty of beer on hand. Good luck!!

Old 06-12-2013, 11:06 AM   #6
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

It's a Stick burner not a WSM or a UDS you need to feed the beast. If you don't appreciate a hands on approach Stick burners aint for you. Sell it and build a UDS if you want set & forget.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:26 AM   #7
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : DHQ

are you burning sticks? just charcoal isn't going to do it..

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148660[/URL]

250 Gallon Offset Build (2012)

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211078[/URL]

600 Gallon Offset Build (2016)
DownHomeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 11:55 AM   #8
Pig Daddy
Full Fledged Farker

Just sold my Chargriller Outlaw. Feeding her charcoal worked just fine. But like everyone has stated, I had to feed her almost every 45 minutes. I would not recommend the minion method. Way too many gaps, allowing way too much air flow for a controlled burn with that much charcoal present. I started with about 3/4 -1 chimney full of lit charcoal and added from there. Try some welding blankets over the main compartment and for a real quick fix, just seal the gaps with tinfoil. Them Chargrillers are high maintenance.
Pig Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 12:07 PM   #9
Bigbob
Got rid of the matchlight.

I have been burning a combo of apple and lump. I don't mind tending to it. I am just looking for best practices for the outlaw. I have the extended chimney, ceramic tiles as tuning plates and added a couple of extra thermos at grate level. I'm happy with it just looking for the best way to feed Bonnie (yeah I named her).
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 02:12 PM   #10
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : DHQ

are you feeding it splits or chunks? you should be feeding her splits... that will get the longest burn.. and you need to keep a live fire going in your firebox.. not smoking or smoldering.. live fire..

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148660[/URL]

250 Gallon Offset Build (2012)

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211078[/URL]

600 Gallon Offset Build (2016)
DownHomeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 02:28 PM   #11
Bludawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbob View Post
I have been burning a combo of apple and lump. I don't mind tending to it. I am just looking for best practices for the outlaw. I have the extended chimney, ceramic tiles as tuning plates and added a couple of extra thermos at grate level. I'm happy with it just looking for the best way to feed Bonnie (yeah I named her).
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownHomeQue View Post
are you feeding it splits or chunks? you should be feeding her splits... that will get the longest burn.. and you need to keep a live fire going in your firebox.. not smoking or smoldering.. live fire..
^^^This is the way to Go.^^^
I mis-understood your post so excuse my ignorance. There are some who think they want a Stick burner thinking it should operate like a UDS or a WSM.
I feed Beulah 1 pre heated Post oak split about every 45 min to maintain 300 and Sweet Blue

Old 06-12-2013, 04:32 PM   #12
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbob View Post
I am planning on smoking a pork shoulder for fathers day along with a couple beer butt chickens. The issue I am running into is maintain the heat for the long hours on the CG. I was thinking of trying the minion method but I am nervous being that I have not test run it. Any other suggestions? Be easy I am a Noob
I have been cooking on a cheap offset for over 15 years and I've tried everything but have found nothing better than a small clean fire started with a chimney of charcoal and a split or two, then maintained with a split every 45 minutes or so. Charcoal is great for starting the fire with and developing a bed of coals but the wood should be your primary fuel source from there on out. Keep the exhaust damper wide open and use the intake damper for control to keep a good draft going through the cooker. Again a smaller fire is better for control and avoiding a thick smoke which would come from having to choke down on the intake too much. Facing the firebox end toward the wind may help if you can't get out of the wind all together but that can be tricky since wind can change directions several times throughout the day. It's much better to set up out of the wind and let the cooker draft naturally. The heat and smoke will always find it's way through the cooker as it should as long as the cooker is drafting properly. If your particular model of offset just doesn't draft well because of design flaws you may also try propping the front legs up with a couple of wood scraps or something to just get a little more elevation to the stack end as the heat and smoke will naturally always want to go up. If you have time for a dry run try this method and play with it, I think that you will have success with it. P.S. Also be sure and keep ash cleaned out from under the fire grate to allow the fire to breathe!!

Last edited by oldbill; 06-12-2013 at 04:35 PM.. Reason: Forgot something!
oldbill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2013, 07:49 AM   #13
ICDEDTURKES
Full Fledged Farker

I have a CG Smokin Pro and agree with everything said.. Essentially there is no way to avoid the tending in some form.. Small splits are the way to go, they did away with alot of the vent tending for me, but as mentioned you still have to feed it every 40-45 minutes.

As to your concern of the amount of time. If you have not purchased your shoulder, why not forego the shoulder and look for an equal amount of meat in smaller boston butts to cut down on your cooking time..
ICDEDTURKES is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:24 AM   #14
Bludawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICDEDTURKES View Post
I have a CG Smokin Pro and agree with everything said.. Essentially there is no way to avoid the tending in some form.. Small splits are the way to go, they did away with alot of the vent tending for me, but as mentioned you still have to feed it every 40-45 minutes.

As to your concern of the amount of time. If you have not purchased your shoulder, why not forego the shoulder and look for an equal amount of meat in smaller boston butts to cut down on your cooking time..
Have the Butt cut into Country ribs and cook 'em until they are probe tender. Think of all the yummy bark

Old 06-13-2013, 09:35 AM   #15
ICDEDTURKES
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
Have the Butt cut into Country ribs and cook 'em until they are probe tender. Think of all the yummy bark
Yup and substitute the chickens for Cornish Hens as well
ICDEDTURKES is offline   Reply With Quote