MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-18-2013, 09:26 AM   #46
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

Wishing you the best of luck, although in reality very little luck is involved.

My best advice:
Be prepared invest your heart, soul and time for the life of the business. The food service biz is just that way.

DON'T compromise on the quality of your product OR service for any reason. Serve a quality product at a fair price always with a smile, and you'll do great.

As for working with "employees", set the standards high and make sure they are clearly understood. Make sure they understand that the better the business does, the better they will do. You don't want to be a tyrant, but fair and strict, and make sure they understand why things are done the way are.

Probably nothing here you didn't already know, so I'm done bloviating.

Best wishes for your success!

KC

Thanks from:--->

Old 05-18-2013, 09:33 AM   #47
fonsg
Found some matches.

Respect!
fonsg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2013, 09:47 AM   #48
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

Kudos to you for having the balls to take on such a venture. Let me know when you open up and I'll ride out there. I got family in Hillsdale area and in Jonesville so I'm out that way pretty often. Good Luck!

Old 05-18-2013, 09:57 AM   #49
SmokingJo
Full Fledged Farker

Congratulations and GOOD LUCK!!!

Old 05-18-2013, 10:38 AM   #50
firefighter4634
is one Smokin' Farker

Congrats, and good luck with your business. Let me know when you open, maybe shoot be a private message. We make it over to MI. at least one time per year on a motorcycle trip and would love to stop in for some good eats.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:47 AM   #51
4ever3
somebody shut me the fark up.

I hope you sell all you smoke and smoke all you want to sell for the day!

Old Oklahoma Joe (Opal)
GMG TREK (Greta Thunberg)
Weber Summit Charcoal (Waylon)
MAK 2 Star (Maybel)

2x “Unfortunately nothing wrong with that” Bob C Que…
I must be living right (somehow…)
4ever3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2013, 11:00 AM   #52
K-JUN
is one Smokin' Farker

Hey Marubozo
I have some real life experience from the supply side of the restaurant industry. I spent a short time working in a restaurant kitchen in the late 70's. Then spent the next 30 years at a restaurant equipment dealership. I can't tell you how many times I have sat across the table from a person with no restaurant experience as they shared their dream of opening a restaurant. The vast majority had no idea what they were up against in pursuing their dream.

That being said from what I have read you seam to have a firm grip on reality and a good plan for success.

"Meet the health inspector at the building you're considering and walk through it with them before you even consider making an offer.
Finally, money. Come to the table with some money and don't go into unnecessary debt. "

This is great insight and it seems so basic but you wouldn't believe how many people never consider doing it.
Some forget about the cost of inventory. Food and liquor provers don't sell on credit.
Lots are not prepared for the amount of attention a new restaurant gets when they first open. They will advertise the crap out of their opening and simply can't handle the crush of people who want to try "the new restaurant". They make lots of mistakes because everyone is trying to learn the new system which will inevitable need to be streamlined over time.
You know all the clichés about first impressions and it is especially true in the restaurant business. If someone has a good experience they will tell two people, if they have a bad one they will tell ten.

Anyway it looks like you are going in with realistic expectations and a good plan. I wish you the best and will be following your progress.

Brady

Cajun Grill by Percy Guidry; 22.5" WSM; GMG Daniel Boone; Crown Verity Gaser
K-JUN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2013, 11:14 AM   #53
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Good to see you found a place. I guess my info wasn't too helpful, you are still opening a place. Do you have an opening date in mind? Now I have to make a road trip, because I feel responsible.

You will be surprised how useful the walk-ins will be. I wish we had started with at least a walk-in cooler.

You still have my number and email address, keep in touch.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2013, 11:35 AM   #54
MisterChrister
Quintessential Chatty Farker

HECK yeah and congrats/good luck! "Moinks Q-Joint"?

Old 05-18-2013, 11:36 AM   #55
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyle's BBQ View Post
Good to see you found a place. I guess my info wasn't too helpful, you are still opening a place. Do you have an opening date in mind? Now I have to make a road trip, because I feel responsible.

You will be surprised how useful the walk-ins will be. I wish we had started with at least a walk-in cooler.

You still have my number and email address, keep in touch.
Haha, well, you did help me find a different place that didn't require building out an entire space from scratch. The deeper I got into that wormhole the more I realized I should probably find something simpler to start with. But thanks again for all the tips and information, it really did help.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2013, 12:13 PM   #56
BBQdisciple
Full Fledged Farker

Good luck to you. I look forward to seeing the progress posted
BBQdisciple is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2013, 01:31 PM   #57
WileyHunter
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyA65 View Post
+1 for cow...need a pig to match (I've seen them around)
Can find flying pigs in porkopolis, or Cincinnati for 'normal' folk , they're quite proud of the flying pigs, even have some on one of the bridges.
WileyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #58
Invicta Q
Knows what a fatty is.

I thought that I was reading about myself when you opened this tread. In blighty we are limited to BBQ joints and ture American BBQ is the new cup cake craze overhere. I have been thinking in opening my own place and found your original post very informative. I've found the location but the property is the problem. As a trucker the dream is still a dream, but I very much look forward in reading your progress. Good luck fella.

Invicta Q.
Invicta Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2013, 02:25 PM   #59
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Soft opening, will save your butt. Get you staff in, and do a soft opening with friendlies, gets a lot of bugs to show early, so you can fix things while moving to grand opening.

Do not underestimate the value of a larger than you think you need kitchen and the coolers. That is a good thing.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2013, 02:28 PM   #60
K-JUN
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Soft opening, will save your butt. Get you staff in, and do a soft opening with friendlies, gets a lot of bugs to show early, so you can fix things while moving to grand opening.

Do not underestimate the value of a larger than you think you need kitchen and the coolers. That is a good thing.
Yes Yes Yes

Brady

Cajun Grill by Percy Guidry; 22.5" WSM; GMG Daniel Boone; Crown Verity Gaser
K-JUN is offline   Reply With Quote