made a UDS now what??????????

Fishin4bass723

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I made an UDS turned out pretty nice, but I have a question do I need to burn it before I cook in it or just start smoking? I oiled the inside already but not sure if I need to "season" it before I start cooking in it.

My first cook was 2 pork butts cuz I just wanted to see if it would do everything I read about it. It ran at 275 consistently for 9 hrs. Was fairly simple to get up to temp, Pulled Pork was the best I ever cooked before and I was just amazed that something I made actually worked. Butts are the most forgiving meat to start with. you have to work real hard to mess it up. Have fun with it.

45413_522484732310_679587463_n.jpg

Nice pr0n. You need to season it but you can cook something while you do it.

The traditional seasoning cook is a few fatties, but a big ole pork butt will do just as well.

Great looking drum. Now get it dirty. Throw some fatties or a pork butt in there and call it seasoned and ready to go.

Good lookin drum.
I'd suggest seasoning it a bit before the first cook. I sprayed the inside of my drum with some cooking oil and lit her up for about 3 or 4 hours. Then I threw on some chicken thighs for dinner.

The 3-4 hour start was a good time to figure out how to adjust the temp too.

I suggest tossing some hunks of meat in there and get 'er dirty. Nice cooker that is begging for a good work in.

Back