Pig Quarter

freespool

Reaction score
A friend gave me a back quarter of a pig today. Basically the rear leg and hind quarters of one side. it is about 12 pounds. I have done a few pork shoulders and several slabs of ribs on my UDS, but nothing like this. I am a newb at smoking. So, any advise?

That's a little un I reckon. I'd just skin it, rub it and cook it to pull like a shoulder. I cook all kinds of random big cuts of hog that way...
Good luck!

You have a fresh ham.I am not sure how much more is connected without pics but the back leg is a fresh ham.What would like to do with it?

I want to smoke it and make it pulled pork. it came off a smaller sow pig he shot. it is a butt check and part of a leg. It has lots of meat, fat, and bone in the middle.
On my shoulders I dry rub the night before. Smoke at ~250 with fat cap down till it hits the wall. Flip it to fat side up spray with a liquid mix I make. Let it finish to ~200 wrap in foil with some more liquid mix and sit on a cooler. I then pull about an hour or so later. It has worked very well. Would this be good for the hind quarter?

I want to smoke it and make it pulled pork. it came off a smaller sow pig he shot. it is a butt check and part of a leg. It has lots of meat, fat, and bone in the middle.
On my shoulders I dry rub the night before. Smoke at ~250 with fat cap down till it hits the wall. Flip it to fat side up spray with a liquid mix I make. Let it finish to ~200 wrap in foil with some more liquid mix and sit on a cooler. I then pull about an hour or so later. It has worked very well. Would this be good for the hind quarter?

Only one way to find out!!!
It'll work fine.

Cook it just like you would a butt or shoulder, your method sounds good. The only change I would suggest is if it's from a wild hog like it sounds, I would go ahead and foil it at about 170* internal with a dash of apple juice-wild hog is a lot leaner than domestic, and the ham is quite a bit leaner than the shoulder, also. It can dry out if you're not careful. I smoke those small hams from wild hogs often, and they make great pulled pork.

Back