MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:50 AM   #1
jalon
On the road to being a farker

Default Whole chicken on the UDS, first time

Unfortunately, I went to get the camera and my family started eating...

I brined for 6 hours (short on time) and let it rest for 45 before putting it on the smoker. I want to increase both times next time.

I was also going to put yardbird on it...and...I was out... But I'm heading back up to Bass Pro Shop here in a few weeks anyway. Just some basic cajun seasoning, and I tressed up the chick like a turkey (Alton Brown is the man...)

I cooked hot and fast at 360F, it was a 6lb bird, and it was done in 90 minutes, couple of small chunks of apple wood for some light smoke. Right at 160 in the breast, 180 in the joints. Skin was crispy. Let it rest for 20 minutes, it was perfect for a first time. The Mother In Law does NOT like white meat - and she said it was fabulous. I'll take it. It had just the right smoke and good color.

One question - will resting longer after the brine (maybe overnight) help the skin be not so tough though? It was crispy, but kind of tough. I'm hoping I can find a way to keep it crispy but easier to cut...maybe it's just me. Open to ideas though.
jalon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2012, 07:39 AM   #2
N2Q

You can put the bird back in the fridge overnight after you brine to help with the skin.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:55 AM   #3
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

According to THIS CHART you're brine time was just fine. I usually shoot for 8 hours, but have done as little as 5 hours with good results.

As said, if you let the bird rest uncovered in the fridge for a while it will help dehydrate the skin. The "tough or rubbery skin" thing is the one and only down side with brining, but it can be addressed.

Glad it worked out for you. Sounds like it was a hit with the family. Given the time (which I almost always allow for) brining is the ONLY way I'll cook chickens, whether in parts, whole or even just wings. Brining makes PERFECT wings.

Nice work!

Old 12-09-2012, 09:02 AM   #4
jalon

Wampus, that link was EXACTLY what I needed. My brine is a little bit different water/salt ratio, but not far off. Other info there is great too. Thanks for the link!!
jalon is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-09-2012, 11:34 AM   #5
BobM
Babbling Farker

Congrats, sounds like a good cook!
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote