MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:43 AM   #16
QTEX
Full Fledged Farker

Do the bottom side first.
QTEX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2012, 12:31 PM   #17
QTEX
Full Fledged Farker

I wonder what kind of chili powder that she uses? The one like for chili meat style (with other ingredients) or a straight chili powder like new mexico type?, any ideas?

Old 12-02-2012, 02:15 PM   #18
BillywannaQ
Full Fledged Farker

I would think its the New Mexico style chili powder.
BillywannaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2012, 08:07 PM   #19
QTEX
Full Fledged Farker

Was thinking the same thing too.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:35 PM   #20
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

I got a tooth ache just reading the Rub Recipe. I'm sweet enough I like savory. Mustard is fer hotdogs, cheeseburgers & SC BBq sauce.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:54 PM   #21
RevZiLLa
is Blowin Smoke!

Good job, Bo

Brinkman water smokers (elec and charcoal)
Weber kettle grill
Uniflame Gold Stainless 5 burner propane grill / rotisserie
BBQ Grillware upright propane water smoker
A trench filled with wood coals and covered with chain link fence
RevZiLLa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2012, 09:07 AM   #22
QTEX
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
I got a tooth ache just reading the Rub Recipe. I'm sweet enough I like savory. Mustard is fer hotdogs, cheeseburgers & SC BBq sauce.
I did a half rack yesteday but was out of NM chili powder, went to two HEB's and no luck so I used some Ancho chili powder instead. Will have to try it again with some NM later cause it just seemed to much CP with the ancho. They were not bad but not the taste we are used to down here in South Tx. Really did not taste the mustard as she stated. I am always with an open mind but so far not impressed, now what to do with all this left over sugar rub?. That flavor sure would not win a contest down here imo.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:38 AM   #23
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by QTEX View Post
I did a half rack yesteday but was out of NM chili powder, went to two HEB's and no luck so I used some Ancho chili powder instead. Will have to try it again with some NM later cause it just seemed to much CP with the ancho. They were not bad but not the taste we are used to down here in South Tx. Really did not taste the mustard as she stated. I am always with an open mind but so far not impressed, now what to do with all this left over sugar rub?. That flavor sure would not win a contest down here imo.
Toss it or doctor it up. I've made some rub from recipes out of books and just wasn't impressed. I kinda doubt this is her real comp recipe and if it is, then I bet she has a few secrets she's keeping to herself. It's crazy to think how winning flavors vary so wildly. Even within parts of TX itself.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2012, 11:05 AM   #24
QTEX
Full Fledged Farker

Yes thats true JS, I seriously doubt thats the "world champ" rib rub. I may be better with the NM chili or another. Yes I have a couple of those plastic gallon tubs I keep around for all the rubs I dont like, mix them all together and add more salt and pepper and they make great brisket rubs for the bigger catering cooks and also great Xmas presents to my bil's, they alwasys love the rubs I give them, lol.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:17 AM   #25
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Pete and I have talked a few times, comparing notes. They're mustard on folks, whereas I'm a marinade the ribs type, otherwise we're almost identical, including the foil, but they put a little more A/J than I do because I've already marinaded mine in A/J/water... Depending on temps, BB's, +- 4 hours total. They do 2 out of foil, 2+- in foil, with 15 at end. I do 1.5 out of foil, 2.5 in foil, and I'll just brush on the very hot sauce at the end (the set up time in the box is plenty, IMHO). I knew our rubs were very similar, and they are. Mine has less sugar in it...
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2012, 11:20 AM   #26
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

haha, I hope they don't ask for more of the same rub, lol.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2012, 10:24 PM   #27
QTEX
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
Pete and I have talked a few times, comparing notes. They're mustard on folks, whereas I'm a marinade the ribs type, otherwise we're almost identical, including the foil, but they put a little more A/J than I do because I've already marinaded mine in A/J/water... Depending on temps, BB's, +- 4 hours total. They do 2 out of foil, 2+- in foil, with 15 at end. I do 1.5 out of foil, 2.5 in foil, and I'll just brush on the very hot sauce at the end (the set up time in the box is plenty, IMHO). I knew our rubs were very similar, and they are. Mine has less sugar in it...
Ya know I was out of aj too and forgot to buy some when i went to town so did not use any. The foils had plenty of natural juice in there when I opened it up, no apple juiced needed except for an even sweeter taste not much though I would think.

JS the do but always get "this new and better rub I just came up with", ha ha.

Thanks from:--->