MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:29 AM   #16
el_matt
Babbling Farker

Did you use this water?
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=146617

Matt
el_matt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2012, 12:08 PM   #17
BBQMaverick
On the road to being a farker

Very Nice

Love me some warm pecan pie and ice cream.
All about bourbon here in KY, what do you like ?
BBQMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-18-2012, 01:03 PM   #18
juslearning
is one Smokin' Farker

That was great!!!! Thanks!!!
Proud supporter of #14 Tony Stewart. Go Smoke!!!!
juslearning is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2012, 02:07 PM   #19
JazzyBadger
Quintessential Chatty Farker

What will they think of next?!

Old 11-18-2012, 02:53 PM   #20
Oldyote
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQMaverick View Post
Very Nice

Love me some warm pecan pie and ice cream.
All about bourbon here in KY, what do you like ?
Oh how I wish I could list off a whole slew of great ones that I've tried.

I've tried a few but always go back to Jim Beam Black. I'd try more but the ones that I would like to try are too expensive. I've had Buffalo Trace and thought that was pretty good and while I know its not bourbon my favorite drink outside if a great craft beer is still Jack.

I'm guessing if I could afford to try some of the top shelf stuff I'd find a few more that I like. My problem really is that I don't know if I've met a Bourbon I didn't like.
[COLOR=navy][B][FONT=Book Antiqua]2 Large Big [COLOR=darkgreen]Green[/COLOR] Eggs, 1 restored Weber Performer in [COLOR=darkgreen]Green,[/COLOR] 1 S-330, 1 S-420 and [COLOR=indigo]1 AZ BBQ Outfitters Custom Tombstone Style Santa Maria Grill and Smoker. [/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=teal]Proud Member of the [/COLOR][URL="http://bit.ly/qIcK24"][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=teal]Zero's Club[/COLOR][/FONT][/URL][/FONT][/COLOR]

[U][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=navy][B]CLICK HERE to visit the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns[/B][/COLOR][/URL] :croc:[/U]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]"earthbound but aspiring.... A lumbering soul but trying to fly...(with)...not enough wingspread but plenty of intention."[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Oldyote is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2012, 03:31 PM   #21
Bob in St. Louis
Babbling Farker

Wow, that's cool. Although, I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the fact there's anything left but steam.
Bob in St. Louis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2012, 04:40 PM   #22
Al Czervik
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Scott/Mongo

Very cool Ric! The pie looks killer and the ice sphere is brilliant. Are you still working on the naked lady mold too?
(='.'=) Avatar by Chalupa
(")_(")
Al Czervik is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2012, 04:49 PM   #23
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Totally speechless!
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2012, 05:09 PM   #24
Q Junkie
is One Chatty Farker

I’ve tried this Baked Ice on the UDS before with disastrous results.
I tried the low and fast method, I probed until it stopped probing like butter, I wrapped in the red butchers paper when the IT was below 32 deg and I still do not achieve the results that I want

Here it is after wrapping in butcher’s paper.
I still do not get the perfect Ice Sphere. Pretty good partial radius but the overall product is just not as good as yours.
I also noticed the superb marbling in your sphere. Where are you getting your water?
I used Costco water for this. I have so much to learn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-10-14_10-57-37_508.jpg (40.1 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-11-18_10-28-37_612.jpg (18.9 KB, 52 views)
Q Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-18-2012, 05:12 PM   #25
Q Junkie
is One Chatty Farker

Oh yea, great looking pie and cocktail.

Old 11-18-2012, 05:12 PM   #26
Oldyote
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Czervik View Post
Very cool Ric! The pie looks killer and the ice sphere is brilliant. Are you still working on the naked lady mold too?
You promised never to talk about that.
[COLOR=navy][B][FONT=Book Antiqua]2 Large Big [COLOR=darkgreen]Green[/COLOR] Eggs, 1 restored Weber Performer in [COLOR=darkgreen]Green,[/COLOR] 1 S-330, 1 S-420 and [COLOR=indigo]1 AZ BBQ Outfitters Custom Tombstone Style Santa Maria Grill and Smoker. [/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=teal]Proud Member of the [/COLOR][URL="http://bit.ly/qIcK24"][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=teal]Zero's Club[/COLOR][/FONT][/URL][/FONT][/COLOR]

[U][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=navy][B]CLICK HERE to visit the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns[/B][/COLOR][/URL] :croc:[/U]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]"earthbound but aspiring.... A lumbering soul but trying to fly...(with)...not enough wingspread but plenty of intention."[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 11-18-2012, 05:16 PM   #27
Oldyote
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q Junkie View Post
I’ve tried this Baked Ice on the UDS before with disastrous results.
I tried the low and fast method, I probed until it stopped probing like butter, I wrapped in the red butchers paper when the IT was below 32 deg and I still do not achieve the results that I want

Here it is after wrapping in butcher’s paper.
I still do not get the perfect Ice Sphere. Pretty good partial radius but the overall product is just not as good as yours.
I also noticed the superb marbling in your sphere. Where are you getting your water?
I used Costco water for this. I have so much to learn.
I'm thinking its the probe that is farking you up. You might just have to wing it or go by feel. I can't take any credit for the marbling. I think that is likely to be a different result each time. As far as water goes I just use regular tap water but it does come from Lake Superior so that might be the secret.

Don't give up man you will get it.

Old 11-18-2012, 05:34 PM   #28
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

If you're going to wrap, I think you've got to use foil. Butcher paper doesn't cut it in this case.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2012, 05:53 PM   #29
Q Junkie
is One Chatty Farker

That ice sphere (if I can call it that) was not worthy of a fine Kentucky Bourbon, so I dispatched it into a "Captain & Coke".
BTW, brining does not help.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:13 PM   #30
BBQMaverick
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldyote View Post
Oh how I wish I could list off a whole slew of great ones that I've tried.

I've tried a few but always go back to Jim Beam Black. I'd try more but the ones that I would like to try are too expensive. I've had Buffalo Trace and thought that was pretty good and while I know its not bourbon my favorite drink outside if a great craft beer is still Jack.

I'm guessing if I could afford to try some of the top shelf stuff I'd find a few more that I like. My problem really is that I don't know if I've met a Bourbon I didn't like.

If you have never tried Russells Reserve by Wild Turkey I highly recommend it. It's a very good and a reasonabaly priced 10 year bourbon. I live in KY, have toured most of distilleries and have tried most of them. This is my go to bourbon. Just wish I could gobble and turkey hunting would be much easier.
BBQMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote