MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:49 AM   #1
Grafixgibbs
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Operation Thanksgiving Turkey 2011 (with pr0n)

This was the fourth year of Operation Thanksgiving Turkey (OTT). The first year we smoked 40 turkeys to feed 40 needy families in our area and this year we smoked 300. We involved our community and church to gain a pool of volunteers.

This year we had two churches involved. The first was First Baptist Church of Fort Mill. They were gracious enough to let us use their huge parking lot to camp out overnight and smoke the turkeys as well as their kitchen to prep all the turkeys. We cooked 250 of the turkeys there. The second church was Tega Cay Baptist. They prepped and cooked 50 of the turkeys.

A few weeks before Thanksgiving we started to collect donations of $20 per turkey meal and names of volunteers to help prep, cook, clean and deliver the turkeys. A couple of the main volunteers work with local food pantries and other organizations to identify the families who are going to receive the meals. Another person lines up all the food and I was tasked with lining up the smokers to use.

Tuesday evening starts with a crew of people cutting the vegetables that we stuff the turkeys with and lining up the bags of groceries to be paired with a turkey to go to a family.

Chopping the veggies.

Groceries ready for turkeys.
The turkeys are brought from the grocery store and put into one of the large fridges. We then have a crew open, rinse, stuff and rub the birds. They are put back into the fridge until there is room for them on the cookers. With the six cookers, we were able to fit about 160 turkeys on at a time.

We cook the turkeys starting Tuesday night until the last turkey is done cooking Wednesday afternoon. This year was a rather interesting cook. We had eight cookers at our site and two of them we could not get to go above 150º so we were unable to use them. We were also hit with rain and wind which made it hard to keep some of the cookers up to temperature. We cook at about 275º and pull the turkeys off when the breast is 165º and the legs are 175º. The turkeys took about six hours to cook.

Starting the fires.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-v9R2UjbLcT...0/IMG_0149.JPG
Loading the turkeys on.

The cook site.

Once the turkeys are done we run them back to the kitchen to be carved and put in the fridge until it is time for delivery. Families and couples deliver the turkeys and are able to share with the families that receive them. Some of the recipients from previous years have started to volunteer with OTT and pay it forward.

Turkeys on the cooker.

Checking the temperatures.

Ready to carve.

Carving.

Thanks to all the volunteers who donated time and money to make it possible for 300 families to have a Happy Thanksgiving.

It amazes me how everything seems to come together at the last minute to pull off an operation like this.

BBQ is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

KCBS Member
CBJ
55 gallon Texas Grill (deceased), CS-680 Louisiana Grill, Charbroil R2 unit, Weber Performer
Grafixgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 12-20-2011, 08:01 AM   #2
brickie
Full Fledged Farker

Awesome work you guys do there!!!!! These are the stories I really like to hear about.

It's just a shame in the greatest country on the planet that their is a need for this though. No family in this country should have to worry about eating.

brickie
brickie is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-20-2011, 08:10 AM   #3
Hugo
Full Fledged Farker

respect, great job!

Old 12-20-2011, 08:19 AM   #4
Grafixgibbs
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie View Post
Awesome work you guys do there!!!!! These are the stories I really like to hear about.

It's just a shame in the greatest country on the planet that their is a need for this though. No family in this country should have to worry about eating.

brickie
Thanks.

We are specific on the people we target. There is an income bracket that has enough not to be on the food pantry assistance and enough to provide their basic needs but not enough to do something like a thanksgiving meal.

But you are correct, no one in our country should go hungry.

KCBS Member
CBJ
55 gallon Texas Grill (deceased), CS-680 Louisiana Grill, Charbroil R2 unit, Weber Performer

Old 12-20-2011, 10:28 AM   #5
Just Pulin' Pork
is one Smokin' Farker

Very cool! Just read this post and had to say job well done! I love reading these kind of posts! Thanks for sharing!
Just Pulin' Pork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2011, 10:32 AM   #6
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

That is extremely cool - fantastic work sir!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2011, 10:32 AM   #7
Randbo
is one Smokin' Farker

Great Job! That is a lot of turkeys! amazing!!!!

Old 12-20-2011, 10:40 AM   #8
Phubar
somebody shut me the fark up.

Thanks for the reportage!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2011, 11:00 AM   #9
milehigh
is One Chatty Farker

God bless you and all the volunteers.
thank you for sharing.

Paul

Old 12-20-2011, 11:10 AM   #10
Grafixgibbs
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randbo View Post
Great Job! That is a lot of turkeys! amazing!!!!
yes it is a lot of turkeys. I got up on thanksgiving and smoked one more.

KCBS Member
CBJ

Old 12-20-2011, 01:55 PM   #11
BigBobBQ
Babbling Farker

I must say, great work. I always like to see stories like this. Thank you and all of your volunteers for helping out the ones in need.