• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Free Sully!

Maybe we should start a defense fund for him?
From now on, nothing but somber, quiet lemmings allowed at contests :roll:
Hopefully nothing comes of this. Can someone PM me the complaining team?

Maybe we should start a defense fund for him?
From now on, nothing but somber, quiet lemmings allowed at contests :roll:
Hopefully nothing comes of this. Can someone PM me the complaining team?

If I knew, I'd tell you here........

Next month the BOD will take up the very inappropriate behavior of spectator percussion during BBQ Awards. Spectator Percussion is very offensive to the teams that do not walk.

FREE SULLY!!!!!!

BBBBAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHBEQUUUUUEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

On the agenda "A cook's celebratory verbalization"

I think everybody should scream Bbbbbaaaaahhhhbbbbeeeecue when they get their name called.

Woo, just what I wanted to see...a bunch of likkered up, big sloppy redneck men scream singing FU:puke:Such a turn on!

First, why are you attacking someone for their looks and your perceived vision of them? Second, they aren't screaming "FU" so figure out what's going on before commenting. Third, I'm sure they're thinking of what might "turn you on" when they do it :roll:. Fourth, if you don't like fun, you might wanna stay away from BBQ comps.

Hey, up here in NE this guy is well known and is super friendly. He makes a damn dip around midnight and personally walks to everyone's site to invite them. His Baaaabequue! yell is awesome. Folks echo it all around the comp, including some spectators. Whoever complained is LAME.

I heart Sully!
hearteyes.gif
He's one of our cherished memories from the Jack!

Often imitated, but never duplicated.

First, why are you attacking someone for their looks and your perceived vision of them? Second, they aren't screaming "FU" so figure out what's going on before commenting. Third, I'm sure they're thinking of what might "turn you on" when they do it :roll:. Fourth, if you don't like fun, you might wanna stay away from BBQ comps.

I agree, it doesn't sound anything like FU! I thought it was hysterical!

Sully is a fixture in the Northeast. His "Baaaahbequuuue" call is often heard at contests in the region, not just at awards but throughout the contest. It's a call to celebrate the sport of barbecue and everything we love about it. It's fun, and it's harmless.

The real question is, should KCBS be regulating what we say and do at contests? How does one draw the line? Can he "say" the word barbecue? How much is too much? How loud is too loud? To regulate this is a slippery slope. If it's not vulgar and not during quiet hours, is this really something the KCBS board should be taking on? Is it even appropriate for a 501(c)3 corporation to wade into determining what acceptable free speech is at a contest?

I for one would be unhappy if Sully is quieted by the board. Sully gives back to the community. He is an officer of NEBS, and his "damn dip" is a fixture at contests in the northeast. He prepares food for ALL the teams, at every event, using his own (and maybe his team's) money. He embodies the spirit of community that we associate with barbecue. Is this the person we want to censor? It will be a sad day for KCBS if that is the case.

Last edited:
I have two concerns about this:

1) I have no problem w/ the team that was annoyed by the traditional shout out. Where my problem is in their going to the rep and not just talking to Sully like a man.

2) What is the reps authority at an event? How were they even involved? I don't know if this is accurate, but I read that they (the reps) said that if it (the call) happened again that he would be asked to leave. If that is true, unless I am completely misunderstanding the role of a rep, they completely overstepped their bounds.

To be clear, I wasn't there when this happened and I have no first hand knowledge at all. If someone else can verify or correct the above, it would be appreciated.

Eric

Back