Judges Names

Dustaway

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Do you think it's a good idea to post the list of judges names that have signed up for a event?

Not sure what it would accomplish and a lot more work for the organizer.

JMHO

TIM

Don't sound right to me. Looks like another witch hunt.

I have yet to see any concrete reason against it. It's been the practice in California for years, and no harm has yet been demonstrated from it.

Honest people doing a good job have nothing to hide. I honestly can't think of another judging activity engaged in public where the identity of judges is hidden -- rose shows, the list of judges is known; dog shows, hell the judges are publicized months in advance, it's part of the draw of the event.

Somebody mentioned beer judging here the other day -- what's the practice there?

I judge (KCBS) a lot and it doesn't bother me at all.

Question for you, what would it matter if it was listed. Even if it was listed, I don't know whos Q I'm judging and you don't know who's judging your Q. At least not each entry.

Wouldn't surprise me if this feature was one of the outputs from the new scoring/tracking system that's supposedly in the works by KCBS.

As an organizer and judge chair, the list is already made in various forms , so you would not be creating a list, just using what is already there.

On the flip side, the judges do not see the list of teams they are judging either.
The only way judges know what teams are at a contest is by observing as they are
going from parking to judging area.

Both of the essential sides of a contest, teams and judges, need to be treated equally.

I would not like to have judges see a list of the teams they are judging as it may lead to expectations before samples are even presented to them.

KCBS goes to great lengths to separate teams and judging to keep the process as fair and impartial to the cooks as it can be.

Posting judges names is a bad idea, IMHO.

The judges list and team list was also available prior to the Sam's event in Traverse City, MI. I don't see anything wrong with it because like what was already mentioned the judges don't know which team they judged and the team doesn't know which judge judged their food.

Makes no difference in my opinion.

Yeah - I don't see any benefit from posting the judges names. But I don't see any harm in it either. I can't see where it would make a difference, unless the names were of BBQ Illuminati . . . if I saw Dave Compton on the judges list, it would make me nervous.

(just kidding)

I would glance at a list, if it were easily publically accessed. Iw ouldn't commit much energy to seek it out. But, it would be neat to see who judges from contest to cntest, if for nothing else to get a handle on how a certain group of judges (They travel in herds, don't they?) judges regionally.

I compete and am a CBJ. My preference for a comp is that both lists are shown.

The other teams list so I know whom I'm up against, and to see if friends from farther away might be there.

When I judge, having a posted and current, judge list is important to me. Not for who's on it, but that I was accepted to be a judge. With comps that more judges try to get in than can get on, it lets me know I'm there. It is very frustrating as more promoters (here in CA) don't post judge sign-up sheets, but only seem to work from personal emails to them, and then don't list who they've selected.

Teams don't know who judges them, and judges don't know the teams they've tasted.
Having the names of both really doesn't matter.

I don't mind getting it in an email, but I don't see what purpose it would serve.

It's nice to know that so-and-so will be there if I need to talk with that person. Likewise, it would be nice to see what teams are supposed to be there - but, either way, that knowledge can be used for "I'm not going to that if XXX is going to be there" or "I'm not entering - the competition already looks too tough" - and in that case, ignorance is bliss.

I can live without knowing who's going to judge or who's cooking. But most of the time, it would be just plain helpful to know HOW MANY judges or teams are planning on being there(but then again, I think many organizers would like to know that as well, and often they won't until the last minute!).

Lynn H.

Back