MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-14-2011, 03:47 PM   #1
Tricky
is one Smokin' Farker

Default UDS Brisket and water pan questions (pron)

Trying my first hot-and-fast brisket today. I have a flimsy pizza pan diffuser over my charcoal basket, but have wanted to add a water pan in line above the coal basket and below the meat. Since I haven't gotten around to doing that yet, what about the side-by-side method:

Seems like its really helping to keep things moist inside the UDS (although I spilled a little into the charcoal when I put it into the drum). But I had enough coal burning, and she's holding steady around 340 - hope things work out.

Thoughts on this kind of water pan setup? Pros and cons?
Rec Tec with bull horns -- UDS (Big Blue) -- 2 Weber kettles -- Weber gasser -- DCS outdoor stainless built-in nat. gasser with smoker box and rotisserie -- Dutch ovens a-plenty -- bright yellow can't-lose-me Thermapen
Tricky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2011, 03:51 PM   #2
Tricky
is one Smokin' Farker

Not sure why my pics won't post - I've done it before . . .
Rec Tec with bull horns -- UDS (Big Blue) -- 2 Weber kettles -- Weber gasser -- DCS outdoor stainless built-in nat. gasser with smoker box and rotisserie -- Dutch ovens a-plenty -- bright yellow can't-lose-me Thermapen

Old 05-14-2011, 05:32 PM   #3
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

The last thing you want in a drum smoker is more moisture.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2011, 05:42 PM   #4
Tricky
is one Smokin' Farker

Then why do WSMs have a water pan? Aren't drum smokers and WSMs (and other upright smokers) built on the same principle?

Old 05-14-2011, 05:53 PM   #5
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

The WSM water pan is primarily a heat sink. There is plenty of moisture in large pieces of meat like brisket and butts. I use sand in my WSM water pan.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2011, 05:54 PM   #6
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
Then why do WSMs have a water pan? Aren't drum smokers and WSMs (and other upright smokers) built on the same principle?
Most people fill their WSM water pan with a terracotta pot base, sand, or fire bricks because the meat in its self has enough moisture but if you want more go for it.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:50 PM   #7
el_matt
Babbling Farker

Picture didn't load.

It won't hurt to have the pan next to the meat. I used to use a water pan in my NBBD. For a long time I'd add "flavors" to the water, thinking that the steam would add "flavor" to the meat, it didn't. It did, however, help keep the temps stable.

I realize that a NBBD is different than a UDS(I have both), but the concept is the same.

Matt
el_matt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2011, 10:55 PM   #8
Boshizzle

You have to use the .jpg link to make it work. I've never needed a water pan in my UDS, BTW.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:25 AM   #9
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

A UDS with a water pan is no longer a UDS, IMHO. If that is the flavor/cook technique you want, get a WSM. The taste from a simple UDS is from the drippings hitting the fire and creating that campfire flavor. If you don't like that flavor, build something else that is not called a UDS. I will set back and wait for all the hate mail. LOL

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2011, 03:08 AM   #10
Tricky
is one Smokin' Farker

Default The results

Hot and Fast turned out to yield tasty brisket in 5 1/2 hours. I foiled at about 4 1/2 hours to push through the stall because I had limited time to finish my cook. I pulled it off the UDS when the flat read 200 and rested in the foil for another 45 minutes.

The flat sliced nicely with a nice smoke ring. The point wasn't quite as tender as it is when I do it low and slow (or it might be that I usually don't cook to a temperature, but until I can slide the probe in like buttah), but the flavor was great and the time difference in the two methods might make me think about becoming a hot and fast convert.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:29 AM   #11
gazza
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

looks good
gazza is offline   Reply With Quote