MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:05 PM   #1
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Need a good "smoked" baked bean recipe

Dad's birthday is today, but the whole family had a lot to tie us up. SO, I called him and asked him if he'd rather go out to eat or come out for dinner tomorrow. His choice, I'm always up for cooking.

He said, "Well, I've been thinking a lot about BBQ lately. If you don't mind.....pulled pork, ribs....whatever you feel like cookin'."
(I LOVE THAT MAN!!!)

So went to the butcher last night and picked up two FINE butt specimens. I mean....the old man wants BBQ. HOW can you have pulled pork without some coleslaw and baked beans, right?

Doing up some memphis mustard slaw tonight and I'd LOVE to try my hand (for the first time) at some genuine from scratch BBQ baked beans on the smoker while the butts are finishing tomorrow. I have some recipes out of my cookbooks, but WHY NOT ASK THE BEST SOURCE I KNOW.........the BBQ BRETHREN?!!?!

So.....lay it on me. What's YOUR best "from scratch" recipe?

Old 02-26-2011, 06:10 PM   #2
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Keri's Hog Apple Baked Beans. I think you can do a search and get the recipe. Good stuff brother! Better yet, here ya go.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Keri's hog apple baked beans.doc (23.0 KB, 163 views)

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-26-2011, 07:37 PM   #3
ricksegers
Full Fledged Farker

What Meat Burner said...Best baked bean recipe around...

Old 02-26-2011, 07:48 PM   #4
Kevin

This works well:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...89&postcount=1

Old 02-26-2011, 08:09 PM   #5
epinnc
Got Wood.

Keri's Beans are Best!
Don't let the apples fool ya. It is the best yet....

Old 02-26-2011, 08:56 PM   #6
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Hmmmmm......

OK, I like the way Keri's Hog Apple beans sound, but I've already got pintos soaking. Perhaps I'll whip up some "standard" baked beans with them, add the rest of the stuff and go with that?

Kevin, looked at yours too and I likes.

Liked the looks of the bourbon brown sugar recipe from the cookbook too. Perhaps a combo? Wampus's Hog Bourbon Apple Brown Sugar Beans?

Hmmmmm......

Old 02-26-2011, 08:59 PM   #7
TexasAggie97
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by epinnc View Post
Keri's Beans are Best!
Don't let the apples fool ya. It is the best yet....

This man speaks the truth!!
UDS X 2 (More on the way...)
TexasAggie97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2011, 09:21 PM   #8
RICK Allen
Full Fledged Farker

Damned beans keep falling thru the grate?????

Old 02-26-2011, 09:25 PM   #9
h00kemh0rns
On the road to being a farker

These beans, used in the 'Yucatecan black bean dinner' from Rick Bayless, are OUTSTANDING!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Bayless

Yucatecan Black Bean Dinner
Serves 6 as a meal

Recipe from Season 5 Mexico - One Plate at a Time
INGREDIENTS
  • 1 pound (about 2 1/2 cups) dry black beans, picked over to remove any stones or debris
  • 1 1/2 to 2 pounds boneless pork shoulder, trimmed of extraneous fat and cut into 2-inch cubes
  • Salt
  • About 3 tablespoons fresh pork lard or vegetable oil
  • 2 medium white onions, thinly sliced (divided use)
  • 2 *15-ounce cans of diced tomatoes in juice (preferably fire-roasted), undrained
  • 1 to 2 habanero chiles, stemmed
  • 1 1/2 cups rice, preferably medium-grain
  • 6 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
  • 1 large ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced for garnish
  • Sprigs of cilantro, for garnish
  • 3 limes quartered, for garnish
  • About 1 cup xnipec salsa (optional) (recipe below)

DIRECTIONS
  • The beans. * Rinse the beans, then scoop them into a large (6-quart) pot (preferably a Dutch oven or Mexican earthenware olla) and add 2 quarts water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, partially covered for 1 hour.
  • The pork. * While the beans are cooking, sprinkle the pork liberally with salt. In a very large (12-inch) skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the lard or oil over medium-high, and brown the pork on all sides in an uncrowded layer - it'll take about 10 minutes. (With a smaller skillet you'll have to brown the pork in 2 batches.) *Remove the pork to a plate and set the pan aside. *When the beans have cooked an hour, add the pork to the pot, along with more water, if necessary, so that everything is submerged. *Partially cover the pot and continue simmering, until meat and beans are tender, about an hour more.
  • The tomato-habanero sauce. * Return the pork-frying skillet to medium heat and drizzle in a little more lard or oil, if necessary, to coat the bottom. Add half of the sliced onion and fry until golden, about 7 minutes. In a blender, coarsely puree the tomatoes and the juices. *Now, either cut a slit in the side of the habanero(s) - this will give you some habanero fruity flavor without much heat - or cut the habanero(s) in half. *Add to the onions along with the tomato puree, then simmer, partially covered, stirring often for 10 minutes or so, until reduced to the consistency of a thick sauce (it shouldn't be dry). Taste and season with salt, usually 1 teaspoon.
  • Finish the beans. * When the beans are tender, scrape half the tomato sauce into them, add a little more water to the pot, if necessary, to ensure that the pork and beans are nicely covered with liquid. Taste and season the beans with salt, usually about 1 1/2 teaspoons.
  • With a large spoon, carefully remove the pork from the beans and transfer it to an ovenproof dish, cover with foil and keep warm in a low oven. *Pour the beans into a colander set over a large bowl, return the beans to the pot and measure 2 1/2 cups of the broth into a saucepan to use for the rice. *Return the remaining bean broth to the beans. *There should still be enough broth to yield somewhat soupy beans; if not add more water.
  • The rice. * *Add 1/2 teaspoon salt to the pan of bean broth and set over medium heat. *In a medium-size (3-quart) saucepan, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of the lard or oil over medium. *Add the rice and remaining onion and cook, stirring regularly, until the rice turns from translucent to milky-white, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook a minute longer, then pour in the hot bean broth. Stir once, scrape down any rice kernels clinging to the side of the pan, cover and cook over medium-low for about 15 minutes; uncover and check a grain of rice - it should be nearly cooked through. If the rice is just about ready, turn off the heat, re-cover and let stand for 5 to 10 minutes longer to complete the cooking. *If the rice seems far from done, continue cooking for 5 minutes or so, retest, then turn off the heat and let stand for a few minutes more.
  • Serve. * When you're ready to serve, reheat the tomato sauce and remove the habanero chiles. *Ladle the beans into six small bowls. *Spoon the rice onto each of 6 large warm dinner plate and nestle the pork in the center. *Spoon a little of the warm sauce onto one side of each plate. *Onto the other side, arrange a few slices of avocado. *Garnish with sprigs of cilantro. *Serve right away, passing the lime wedges and chopped xnipec salsa, if you wish.

To make about a cup of xnipec salsa:
  • 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
  • 1 tablespoons fresh lime or sour orange juice
  • 6 radishes, chopped into small dice or matchsticks
  • 1/2 fresh habanero chile, stemmed, seeded and finely chopped
  • A dozen or so large sprigs of cilantro, chopped
  • Salt

Scoop the onion into a strainer and rinse under cold water. *Shake off as much water as possible, then transfer to a small bowl and stir in the juice. *Add the remaining ingredients, season with salt, usually about 1/2 teaspoon, and it's ready.
h00kemh0rns is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2011, 09:25 PM   #10
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICK Allen View Post
Damned beans keep falling thru the grate?????
You've got to use a pan man. It makes all the difference.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:27 PM   #11
RICK Allen
Full Fledged Farker

Oh, thanx

Old 02-27-2011, 05:24 AM   #12
lionhrt
is one Smokin' Farker

My father used to make the best baked beans it was really simple too. He put the beens in a pan added tomato sauce and molassas and brown sugar to taste then he would top with strips of bacon and pop it in the oven and test if every couple hours if to sweet he worked in more tomasto sauce if not sweet enough more molassas and brown sugar. I can almost taste them thinking of them now. It is really a simple recipe but cooking all day, I think is the key. Us kids would fight over the bacon strips to cus they soaked up all the goodness