MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:52 AM   #7516
bover
is one Smokin' Farker

Working on building my first UDS right now. The drums I've got have removable locking lids, and the lids themselves have a ~2" bung and 1/2" air vent both with screw-in caps. In y'alls vast experience do you think just removing these caps during the cook would be enough ventilation for the smoke or should I drill some more holes? Right now I'm thinking that the bung alone would provide about as much flow as the vent on a Weber lid so no additional modifications would be necessary, but would appreciate insight from you guys.

Thanks.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:56 AM   #7517
Downtown Smokeout
Full Fledged Farker

You didn't read the whole thread.....cheater. I use the same lid, works fine with the large bung removed, I actually use a fridge magnet to close it off partially at certain points during my cooks.

Weber Imperial Sequoia (restoration in progress)
Weber Platinum (The Green Lantern)
Weber OTS 22.5
Weber SJ
UDS (with more to come)
Cheapo gasser
Old Smokey ES (A gift, don't buy one)

Humble member of the Society for the Preservation of Authentic Royal Magical Rare Kaskaskian Peppers
Honor bound to protect, prepare, and serve
Downtown Smokeout is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-17-2011, 08:01 AM   #7518
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bover View Post
Working on building my first UDS right now. The drums I've got have removable locking lids, and the lids themselves have a ~2" bung and 1/2" air vent both with screw-in caps. In y'alls vast experience do you think just removing these caps during the cook would be enough ventilation for the smoke or should I drill some more holes? Right now I'm thinking that the bung alone would provide about as much flow as the vent on a Weber lid so no additional modifications would be necessary, but would appreciate insight from you guys.

Thanks.
I have a 6" long piece of PVC screwed into the 2" bung and it works fine. No need to drill any additional holes.
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-17-2011, 08:03 AM   #7519
bover
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown Smokeout View Post
You didn't read the whole thread.....cheater. I use the same lid, works fine with the large bung removed, I actually use a fridge magnet to close it off partially at certain points during my cooks.
Busted! I've read around 350 of the 500+ pages, but couldn't recall seeing this question. Then again, I'm having a tough time remembering what I had for breakfast this morning.

btw...I have seen reference to the magnet idea and am planning on going that route for the intakes at the bottom. Good tip for the exhaust too. Thanks!

Old 02-17-2011, 08:33 AM   #7520
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidder View Post
smokeyw can you explain your build maybe then someone can help answer your question.
Sorry if I was not clear.
My UDS is pretty standard. It has three 3/4" intakes evenly spaced around the base. Two of them have caps and the other has a ball valve. I have a kingsford dome lid on it that fits very well. I always keep the exhaust on the dome lid wide open while cooking. My charcoal basket is 14" in diameter and 9" tall standing 3 1/2" from the bottom of the drum. I use a 50/50 mix of Royal Oak lump and Kingsford blue.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:34 AM   #7521
garyk1398
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by bover View Post

Thanks.
What I've done and like is using a black metal threaded pipe with an elbow attached so if it rains, it doesn't fall into the drum.

Gary, KCBS -CBJ
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=red]Certified Nebraska MOINK Baller, [/COLOR][COLOR=darkred]KCBS - CBJ[/COLOR][/FONT]
Semper Fi, when in doubt empty the magazine :rip:
garyk1398 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2011, 09:18 AM   #7522
jdbh
On the road to being a farker

lima ohio there is a guy that sells drums food grade 15$ a barrels they had yogurt in them
www.ohiobarrel.com
Stump Clone
Big Green Egg XL
UDS (RED)
UDS (Black)
HYBRID OFFSET TRAILER
GREY THERMOPEN
LIME GREEN THERMOPEN
jdbh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2011, 07:15 PM   #7523
righteousdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyw View Post
I use a 50/50 mix of Royal Oak lump and Kingsford blue.
my OCD tells me you have not meticulously arranged your fuel

Old 02-17-2011, 07:28 PM   #7524
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Sounds like maybe your wood possibly caught fire and gave you a quick temp spike
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2011, 10:07 AM   #7525
jcinadr

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk1398 View Post
What I've done and like is using a black metal threaded pipe with an elbow attached so if it rains, it doesn't fall into the drum.
+1 used a steel nipple. Lid collects water during a rain. You can always put a can over the nipple to keep the water from raining into the hole
jcinadr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2011, 03:53 PM   #7526
Chavo27
Full Fledged Farker

just got my new step bit

Old 02-18-2011, 04:26 PM   #7527
Chavo27
Full Fledged Farker

what are you guys using to cut the hole in the top? My step bit only goes to 1 3/8"

Old 02-18-2011, 04:27 PM   #7528
Chavo27
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by righteousdog View Post
my OCD tells me you have not meticulously arranged your fuel
I love this idea! I use coat hangers to move my basket...

Old 02-18-2011, 05:47 PM   #7529
Rick T
Full Fledged Farker

You can use a hole saw. Right from HD for the larger holes.
Rick T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2011, 06:19 PM   #7530
2ndchance

Thumbs up Here we go

My son called me up and said he had a FREE drum for me. All I had to do was go get it. I have read 90 percent of this thread and feel confident that I will have a new addition in a week or two. I have already got the 3/4 nipples, one 3/4 elbow, two pipe caps, and now I have the main part. I will probably go buy a cheap kettle so I can get a lid and grate.

Since it had Hydraulic fluid in it I don't have to worry about a liner, just need to clean it and give it a good burn

This is the lid to my Weber, I do not want to have adjust it to fit the drum so I will find a new cheap kettle or a used Weber at the right price

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker