Releasing Derek's House Dr Pepper BBQ Sauce Recipe!

Actually that was a throwback to an old mess around recipe from my college days... chicken breasts, sweet/sour drink mixer, and a case of mt dew and alas a marinade was born.....It imparted a nice subtle citrus flavor to a basic grilled chicken sandwich.

Although bringing this up has sparked myy imagination for re-inventing and refining an actual recipe for the Mt Dew Chicken.... imparting some orange sauce flavor profiles is a good place to go.

Mole sounds interesting, but its so deep and complex i wonder if the Dew would get overwhelmed?

GLD, Not if you do it right and practice until it's perfect!

That's what I had to do with this recipe and it took a year to refine!

As soon as it's done thickening to your liking , turn the stove off and get your mesosphere out and amosafy it to your liking.

Thanks for the recipe, but I am not sure what is a mesosphere and what is amosafy?

As soon as it's done thickening to your liking , turn the stove off and get your mesosphere out and amosafy it to your liking

Derek - I've never heard of a mesoshpere being used as a term for a cooking utensil... A mesosphere is one of the layers above the earth.

Are you referring to an immersion blender (stick blender) which will emulsify a sauce ?

Derek - I've never heard of a mesoshpere being used as a term for a cooking utensil... A mesosphere is one of the layers above the earth.

Are you referring to an immersion blender (stick blender) which will emulsify a sauce ?
Exactly, one of those, I'm really bad speller - grammar person!

Derek, had another question. Is that a full bulb of garlic or a clove from a bulb?

Derek.......Many thanks for your recipe. Have never made my own sauce. This looks like a winner & will have to give it a go.

thanks Derek - got a pot simmering as I write this. One other question. The rest of the family doesn't like things as hot as I do. If this turns out to be more spicier than they like any suggestions (aside from getting a new family) as to what I can add to make it less spicier

thanks Derek - got a pot simmering as I write this. One other question. The rest of the family doesn't like things as hot as I do. If this turns out to be more spicier than they like any suggestions (aside from getting a new family) as to what I can add to make it less spicier
No problem man, And to answer your question "leave out the hot peppers only" And still add the dried chipolty pepper though.

Also can add a little more peperrika.

No problem man, And to answer your question "leave out the hot peppers only" And still add the dried chipolty pepper though.

Also can add a little more peperrika.

I already made it per the directions, what I meant with my question was if after it is done and it is a bit too spicey, is there anything I can add that would "lower the heat"

I already made it per the directions, what I meant with my question was if after it is done and it is a bit too spicey, is there anything I can add that would "lower the heat"
OH, yes there is a few things you can do.

1.Have lot's of milk on hand.
2.Celery plater on hand.
3.Add honey to the bbq sauce.
4.Add sugar to the sauce

Just remember this cooking tip ( You can always add to but never take away! )

But if you done it right, It should be a whiskey BURN that will last for an half hour to an hour!

Well I just found the new Dr. Pepper BBQ sauce thread. I posted in the old thread about what I did this week. I'll repost it here. Mine was inspired by your original post and I really loved your pepper pot.

Dr. Pepper BBQ Sauce

1 Cups Dr. Pepper
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 diced onions - (Used 1/2 red onion & 1/2 white onion)
2 carrots
1 red bell pepper
1 anaheim pepper
1 jalapeño pepper
1 cayenne pepper
2 cloves minced garlic
1 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1 cup of honey
2 tsp salt
2 tbs canola oil
2 tbs of bbq rub
2 tbs of oregano
1 can of fire roasted tomatoes w/ liquid

In pot reduce Dr. Pepper & Worcestershire to about 1/2 consistency.

In another sauce pot heat oil and add onions and salt. Let them cook down then add garlic.

Let it cook for about 5 minutes. Mince the pepper and carrots in a food processor. Add to onions.

Add vinegar, sugar, spices and fire roasted tomatoes w/ liquid. Let this simmer for 1 hour.

Blend the vegetable mixture with the dr. pepper mixture and put back in sauce pan. Add honey and let simmer for 2-3 hours.

Makes 2 mason jars of sauce (about 4 cups).

My consistency wasn't great because I didn't do the tomato sauce. Last night I took a jar of my sauce and added it to 2 cans of tomato sauce and let it simmer and reduce down again. It's okay and maybe a little too ketchupy but it's got better consistency now. I'll be using this on Ribs tomorrow. :)

Next time, I'm going to try making my own tomato sauce from the tomato paste like you are doing. I think I'm also going to try roasting the peppers and removing the skin.

Well I just found the new Dr. Pepper BBQ sauce thread. I posted in the old thread about what I did this week. I'll repost it here. Mine was inspired by your original post and I really loved your pepper pot.

Dr. Pepper BBQ Sauce

1 Cups Dr. Pepper
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 diced onions - (Used 1/2 red onion & 1/2 white onion)
2 carrots
1 red bell pepper
1 anaheim pepper
1 jalapeño pepper
1 cayenne pepper
2 cloves minced garlic
1 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1 cup of honey
2 tsp salt
2 tbs canola oil
2 tbs of bbq rub
2 tbs of oregano
1 can of fire roasted tomatoes w/ liquid

In pot reduce Dr. Pepper & Worcestershire to about 1/2 consistency.

In another sauce pot heat oil and add onions and salt. Let them cook down then add garlic.

Let it cook for about 5 minutes. Mince the pepper and carrots in a food processor. Add to onions.

Add vinegar, sugar, spices and fire roasted tomatoes w/ liquid. Let this simmer for 1 hour.

Blend the vegetable mixture with the dr. pepper mixture and put back in sauce pan. Add honey and let simmer for 2-3 hours.

Makes 2 mason jars of sauce (about 4 cups).

My consistency wasn't great because I didn't do the tomato sauce. Last night I took a jar of my sauce and added it to 2 cans of tomato sauce and let it simmer and reduce down again. It's okay and maybe a little too ketchupy but it's got better consistency now. I'll be using this on Ribs tomorrow. :)

Next time, I'm going to try making my own tomato sauce from the tomato paste like you are doing. I think I'm also going to try roasting the peppers and removing the skin.
Let me know how it goes Jason!

I love this sauce. Thanks again, Derek. I put it on ribs and it was awesome. I have 1 more jar to use but I can't wait to make more.

Updated, I've opened a sealed jar of my Sauce for the chicken thighs this last weekend as a practice test & I've found out after 2 months of againg, The flavors intensify x10 times and it gets HOTTER, but more of a wiskey burn then anything though.

Thanks for the recipe, but I am not sure what is a mesosphere and what is amosafy?

Not sure what a mesosphere is either, but I think he meant emulsify?

Anyway, it looks interesting enough to give a try! For those who asked about reducing heat, I would just start with no peppers and add a little at a time until it suits your taste.

I might just hae to whip up a batch this weekend!

Derek,
When you say "makes six jars", what size jar are you talking about???

Back