MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:13 AM   #1
Derek
is Blowin Smoke!

Default WoodChip question?

This is a off topic wood chip question and I felt it did'nt belong in my mes mega questions thread.

Ok how do you guys store your wood chips? Do you guys leave your wood chips in a 5 gallon drum soaked in water when your ready to add your chips?

Since the smoker manual said to add a cup at a time, So I was thinking I could store my chips in a 5 gallon drum in water.

Any thoughts?
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2010, 10:01 AM   #2
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Personal opinion; I wouldnt soak them, ever, for any length of time. The reason is
that it's almost impossible to get a good sweet blue smoke if you do. This (blue smoke)
is what's preferred and doesn't create creosote (on the meat). Also, the dampness
can douse the fire, which you want clean and hot. Also, I would add less at a time
than any manual tells you. Dont choke the fire.

You'll go through a lot more wood chips this way, but you'll end up with meat that
you enjoy eating the outside (bark) vs. a creosote coated mess.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2010, 10:08 AM   #3
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
Personal opinion; I wouldnt soak them, ever, for any length of time. The reason is
that it's almost impossible to get a good sweet blue smoke if you do. This (blue smoke)
is what's preferred and doesn't create creosote (on the meat). Also, the dampness
can douse the fire, which you want clean and hot. Also, I would add less at a time
than any manual tells you. Dont choke the fire.

You'll go through a lot more wood chips this way, but you'll end up with meat that
you enjoy eating the outside (bark) vs. a creosote coated mess.

Yep, what he said.
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2010, 10:11 AM   #4
Big_T_BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

I keep chips in a bag in the garage and when I'm going to use them I let them sit in a 50/50 mix of water and cheap red wine for 20 minutes or so. Then I take them out and set them on a town for 5 minutes or so then throw them on. I supplement chunks with chips.
Big_T_BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2010, 10:16 AM   #5
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_T_BBQ View Post
I keep chips in a bag in the garage and when I'm going to use them I let them sit in a 50/50 mix of water and cheap red wine for 20 minutes or so. Then I take them out and set them on a town for 5 minutes or so then throw them on. I supplement chunks with chips.
I experimented with leaving some wood chips in water for several days and they started fermenting. The smell was not unpleasant but I would not have trusted using them in food preperation. I agree with the above 20 minute soak (thereabouts depending on the size of the chips). This works well using gas as a fuel source and I see no reason why the electric should be any different.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2010, 11:00 AM   #6
G$
is Blowin Smoke!

Bear in mind guys, the OP is using an electric cabinet smoker. Not sure if that changes the equation here.
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2010, 11:19 AM   #7
Big_T_BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by G$ View Post
Bear in mind guys, the OP is using an electric cabinet smoker. Not sure if that changes the equation here.
Good point. My above post is for charcoal. I've never used an electric smoker
Big_T_BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2010, 11:35 AM   #8
ComputerMike
Take a breath!

I don't soak mine any more but I'm all charcoal.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:51 AM   #9
ricksegers
Full Fledged Farker

I own an electric smoker and only soak chips for a few (about 15) minutes. It's mainly just to keep them from all burning a one time.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:22 PM   #10
tommykendall
Quintessential Chatty Farker

My advice is to get rid of the chips and use small chunks - no soaking.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:58 PM   #11
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I store everything in bags in the garage, I like to keep stuff dry until use. If I had an electric, I would soak for 10 to 15 minutes if I had small chips. I agree with TK, small chunks are better.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2010, 02:44 PM   #12
Derek
is Blowin Smoke!

Thank you guys, I'll take the advice and I'll go ahead and do that when I get more experienced.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2010, 04:43 PM   #13
aquablue22
Babbling Farker

Are you using a Masrerbuilt?. When i use my Masterbuilt I soak my chips for about 1/2 hour before starting the cook and then drain them for the duration. I also do this when i smoke of my Weber s, I don't really like chunks because they tend to add heat that need to be considered.
2 - 18.5 Weber Kettle
1 - WSM Mini

I live in fear that my Wife will sell all my "TOYS" when I die for WHAT I told her I paid for them!!
aquablue22 is offline   Reply With Quote