New smoker! (to me)

sic.semper.pork

Got Wood.
Reaction score
PICS ARE DOWN THE THREAD A BIT!

All I have ever cooked on has been my UDS and regular charcoal grill and I have cooking on those two down to a science. As some of you may have read my other thread, I will be doing a big cook in June. I am looking on specifically how this should be operated. I would think, just light a fire with split wood and charcoal and use my vents to control temp obviously. So being new to this style smoker, any tips or tricks?

EDIT: picture didn't go through. http://imgur.com/a/X6x7m

Last edited:
just scroll down in the reply message window and look for the attach files box and click on the manage attachments link, it will lead you through the process so you can attach the pic on this site.

It has to be on your computer

No idea why its not working. Any way, it is two 55 gal drums, both horizontal and one on top of the other. Fire goes in the bottom drum, you cook on the top. Fairly simple design. Sorry these picture links aren't working, even if I post a direct link it seems to still not work.

yeah but now you know how to do it its a piece of cake

now, on to your cooker

does it have a firegrate? I dont see one

get the fire off the bottom of the firebox.. longevity and better air flow for the fire = better burn! Looks nice though and you should be able to get a ton of meat on there!!! Congrats on the new rig!!!!

Bought it off a guy down the road from me for $150. No firegrate yet. I have never burned anything in it and a firegrate was my first thought looking inside. The only vent on the firebox is that one just below the door. Is that sufficient, or should I look into installing another one?

the vent might be enough but hard to say, does look pretty small

rig up a grate and get a fire going in it and see what you have before changing anything

Oh yea! A test run is scheduled for friday. My only concerns are getting the fire going. I am very used to using my chimney to get my coals hot and my chimney wont fit through that door very well. I have a weed burner I could just shove inside and light it up that way I suppose. I am essentially venturing into some new territory with my smoking and am moving on from a UDS and feel I am now out of my comfort zone with this thing.

Oh yea! A test run is scheduled for friday. My only concerns are getting the fire going. I am very used to using my chimney to get my coals hot and my chimney wont fit through that door very well. I have a weed burner I could just shove inside and light it up that way I suppose. I am essentially venturing into some new territory with my smoking and am moving on from a UDS and feel I am now out of my comfort zone with this thing.

my suggestion.

Light your coals in the chimney get them going good

pour them into a shovel, or even a garden trowel, as long as it fits in the opening, then dump them in and then lay a few splits on them

Weed burner would work too, I dont have one so I am no expert on that but I read all the time guys use them

your comfort zone problem will pass. but you gotta get the thing going first!!!

Back