• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Tired of crap store sausage ...

GMDGeek

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I'm looking for a place to get some good sausage for smoking. I've tried several from Sam's and Costco and needless to say I'm not impressed.

Anyone have any recommendations for the Dallas area? I am even willing to have some shipped to me ...

Thanks,
Gerry

At some point I will start making my own too but for the time being; I don't have the free time to do it. I commend you for making your own.

Are you looking for smoked sausage to cook on the pit, or fresh sausage?

i wouldnt mind knowing either :)

i want plain sausage i can smoke

sausage

Store bought for us raw Johnsonville Bratwurst that we smoke.

Edes Custom meats south of Amarillo has raw German in multiple varieties.

Anything else commercial or processed we ignore and just lay a couple Hebrew National or Nathan's dogs on the grill for snacks.

I would have your butcher grind up fresh pork for you and make your own, if you dont have a grinder

aint that hard

See if your local meat market has a house brand you can try. Mine does and it's pretty decent.

Gotta admit,I got sick of store bought so I started making my own.
Not as hard as it seems and is most rewarding

Making your own sausage is easy and really does not take much time.

+1. I haven't gotten store bought since I started making my own.

If you have any good butchers around, they might make their own and it will probably be pretty good. Also local farmer's markets sometimes have small sausage makers selling their stuff, and that can be good as well.

I'm not sure if I've had the specific brand that Bluedawg is talking about, but I remember eating fanfarkingtastic sausage from Elgin when I lived in Austin.

Man in the Dallas area there gotta be a bunch of HEB's.
Slovacek garlic
Country boys pico de gallo
Poffenburgers beef/pork jalapeno
I'm lucky to live right down the road from the most awesomest :twitch: BBQ place there is. Chappell hill bakery and they have every type of fresh and precooked/smoked sausage a man could ask for. They didn't at first but my buddy is the manager there and instead of us having to make big batches at home, he just makes the recipes we give him and we pick it up a week later.
Seriously, this place is a BBQ owners dream come true.
23D058CC-F619-473C-8EE0-BF102BD1F212-664-000000F8E883228C.jpg

i would like to try to make my own one day, but im not equipped to do it and have never processed my own meat, so it would take some research

I have a grinder and I have ground pork through here all the time. My wife is Filipino and uses it and anchovies in a lot of her dishes. I can flavor the pork the way I like, I even have mixed in ground lamb before. Its getting it in the casing the F's me up each time.

Closest butcher that is of any quality to me is a little on the expensive side; but if I am cooking for just friends and family I am all over it. This is more for when I'm cooking for groups of people. IE Scuba buddies when I teach a dive class or at a church function or something. I do not like to serve anything that I do not myself like.

I'm right there with ya GMDGeek. Just when I'm okay with eating a store bought sausage, I bite into a nasty piece of gristle, and then think why am I eating these when I have a Kitchen Aid with all the necessary attachments to make sausage?!?! I just need to commit a day to making some and get going.

By the way checked out your blog- cool stuff. A Triple D fan myself, diggin the avatar photo lol! :thumb:

The grinders do not work that well for stuffing the casings. One of the old fashioned stuffers works much better, and they are cheaper.

Back