Looking for some stuffed and rolled chicken ideas

jtfisher63

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm cooking for my wife's family and I want to wow them a little with some sort of stuffed and rolled chicken thighs. I figured I'd use some boneless skinless thighs. I am already cooking ribs and bone in skin on thighs too. I was gonna do some sort of buffalo wing flavored thigh, but her family are a bunch of wimps! So give me some of your best ideas guys and I will post some Pron for ya.:wink: Thanks.

Jason

I have been thinking about this same type of thing.

I have not decided what to do exactly, but I was thinking of taking some cheese (maybe provolone, maybe a mild white cheddar), cut in to half inch square diamater strips, and putting them in the freezer for a small bit so they are cold. I was then going to wrap them with some sort of fresh herb (maybe basil), and roll the pounded boneless skinless thigh around the cheese and herb. Last step was going to be a liberal wrap of thin bacon on the whole thing, and in to the smoker at 225-250 for a couple hours, finishing in the hot spot.

I was thinking they could be served whole as appetizers, or sliced sharply on the bias. Other filling options included a frozen herb butter mixture, or some version of cheese, onions, peppers, mushrooms.

Again, I have not doen this, but was thinking about it.

Last edited:
Pound chicken flat as possible. For the "filling", we use a mixture of cotija cheese, sundried tomato, chopped green and black olive, red onion, and a little but of tomato paste as a binder. Make it the consistency of a stiff mortar. Wrap with butcher string, bacon, or toothpick to keep closed.

Cook these with the rolled side up, and little olive oil sprinkled on top.

Garlic butter is always good, kind of a smoked Kiev... But I like proscuitto and fontina cheese, with sauteed mushrooms, rolled up and smoked.

I did some for Christmas. I got the recipe from Rachel Ray. They were not grilled, they were fried in a pan. The stuffing was Mushrooms, riccotta, spinach, and some other stuff. They didn't taste to bad. I think the spinach was a little strong.

I talked to smokin gator about his "Wild Thing" version and I think I will be doing some of them that way.

Keep the ideas coming, I'm always looking for new recipes. I'm going to do half "Wild Things" from smokin gator and half some other way. I'm kicking around a pineapple, ham, monterey jack with sweet and sour glaze, but maybe I'll do something from this thread.

Jason

Did these a while ago.
1st pic is chicken breast, 2nd is pork tenderloin, 3rd is plated up with grilled bacon wrapped asparagus.

Filling is prosciutto, basil pesto from my garden, diced sun dried tomato, minced garlic, red onion slices and provolone. Wrapped in bacon and smoked at 250* with a combo of 75% pecan and 25% cherry.

Hope that gives ya a little inspiration.:-D

Attachments

• 2007_0319Image0148.jpg
    2007_0319Image0148.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 85
  • 2007_0319Image0146.jpg
    2007_0319Image0146.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 86
  • 2007_0319Image0149.jpg
    2007_0319Image0149.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 86
Z-Man

That is some fine looking Grub!
Thanks for the inspiration!

TIM

z-man, thats just outrageous! I didn't eat breakfast, and now I'm drooling all over myself! thanks!

Another filling I have used: (no pics though)

Crisp up some bacon, crumble and set aside. Drain most of the grease and saute some diced Fuji apple, diced red onions and sliced button mushrooms till the mushrooms have rendered off the liquid and it has almost evaporated. Then sprinkle in a bit of rubbed sage and a dash or so of ground cloves. Add bacon back in and stir to combine. Saute for just a minute or two to let the flavor of the sage and cloves meld. Stir in some finely chopped parsley to pretty it up right at the end and use as a filling for the chicken breast along with a slice of aged gouda or aged extra sharp cheddar.

Last edited:
Looks great, Z! I tried one like that this past weekend using chicken breasts, a layer of roasted poblanos, and jambalaya, rolled, smoked then sliced. Sort of a deconstructed chicken jambalaya.

It all looks great.

I make the asparagus the same way. When they are finished, I drizzle them with a balsamic vinegar reduction.

Now I have to go eat.

That looks great! I've done the same jelly roll style pork roast as Z, but I went with a salami, provalone & SD tomato stuffing. I have to try the asparagus wrapped in bacon though. Well done Z!

How about stuffing them with Aloutte Garlic and Herb Cheese - I do chicken breasts with this and it's pretty good. Wrapping them in bacon could only make it better - or how about some smoked mozzarella and roasted red peppers.

Went simple with mine. Pounded breast, coated with honey mustard, seasoned and added Ortega chile, rolled. More seasoning and grilled. Topped with provolone cheese when done. Didn't last long.

Hey Z... Great looking food! Do you remember how long the pork tenderloin took at 250?

Uhh...sorry Ron....I did those last fall. :roll::oops:

Not really sure if I timed it.

Just used the ET-73 and took it to 145 internal and rested for 15 minutes or so.

It's done when it's done.

You know how it goes......Sorry

Back