MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-23-2012, 06:46 PM   #1
jsperk
Babbling Farker

Default Pork butt question

I have two 8 pound butts I'm cooking for tomorrow for 4 p.m. I was going to have one as pulled and one as sliced. My question how long should I wait to throw the sliced one on after starting the pulled one. Would you let a sliced one rest a couple hours like the pulled one?

Thanks all and have a Merry Christmas.
jsperk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2012, 06:53 PM   #2
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

What is your target pit temperature? The hotter you cook, the shorter the time needed. Rest both butts.

I would put the one on at the same time and just pull the one you are going to slice earlier so it can rest longer.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2012, 06:58 PM   #3
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Considering the duration of the stall and your cooker temp; hypothetically - 3 hours difference should be decent.

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2012, 07:13 PM   #4
campdude
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesmellslikesmoke View Post
what is your target pit temperature? The hotter you cook, the shorter the time needed. Rest both butts.

I would put the one on at the same time and just pull the one you are going to slice earlier so it can rest longer.
^^^^^^+1
campdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2012, 08:19 PM   #5
jsperk
Babbling Farker

I was going to have pit temp at 250.
Thanks for replies guys.
jsperk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2012, 08:51 PM   #6
Boshizzle

If you are goiing to cook sliced pork, I'd suggest you cook around 275 to 290 degrees for the entire cook and follow the three hour rule above.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:19 PM   #7
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

+1 for starting both butts at the same time and taking off the slicer first.

For sliced pork I would pull at 165 to 170 Internal temp and let rest until the second one is ready.

For the pulled pork, take the butt to 195 internal and let rest for an hour. If you cook at the 275 to 300 range and foil it at an internal of 160, you should be looking at about 5 hours (ish) of cook time. Using that method with a 9.5lber took me about 5hrs and 45mins so an 8lber should be around the 5 hour mark.

Also, don't foil the slicer. Just let it ride on its own until it hits the 165-170 mark.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:28 PM   #8
IamMadMan

Try usin the smoking meat calculator

http://meatsmokingcalculator.com/

IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-28-2012, 06:09 AM   #9
BB-Kuhn
Take a breath!

+2 on starting both and removing one early. That way you know the timing will work, instead of just guessing and crossing fingers.
BB-Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote