The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-14-2018, 02:22 PM   #1
bbqpitsmoker
Full Fledged Farker

Default This brisket confused me

8 pound brisket. Seasoned and cooked the whole way at 275f to 300f. Got to 160f internal in 3 hours so wrapped in peach paper and threw back on pit. 5 hours total it his 207f in multiple spots. Was probing like butter towards the point end dropping the probe straight down into the brisket theough the pojnt and flat. Rested for approx 20 mins then sliced. One of my worst results ever. Slices of flat were so tough and rubbery that they couldnt be broken by stretching between my hands.

What did i do wrong?
bbqpitsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2018, 02:28 PM   #2
Pig_Farmer
Full Fledged Farker

Could it be the short rest time? I've never rested mine for less than 2hrs.
Southwest Bash link:
Http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=256212
SW Bash Sign Up Sheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
Pig_Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2018, 02:37 PM   #3
BeardedBassGuy
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig_Farmer View Post
Could it be the short rest time? I've never rested mine for less than 2hrs.
I don't think so. I've done some very short rests and they didn't work like that. (I do prefer longer rests though)

Seems a bit under cooked maybe? I try to probe like butter on the thick part of the flat sideways.

Edit: I will add, the ONE time I ever cooked hot and fast, I had similar (though not as extreme) results. Probed well, and the IT was above 210! But still had un-rendered fat and was a bit rubbery.
BeardedBassGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2018, 02:43 PM   #4
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

at the texas bashes i never have time to rest. just pull and slice. while not as tender as resting longer they are close. i would focus more on where you are probing the flat for doneness.

Shirley 24x55 Straight Back Cabinet 4 Racks
T&K Smokers GF /Abe's 48" Entertainer / 22.5 OTG
28" BS / Custom 20x52 vertical / Jimmy with CB Roti
Red Box Smoker on custom cart

2018 Texas Fall Bash - Oct. 27th 2018 https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...19#post3972819
2018 Texas Fall Bash Sign Up https://goo.gl/L6rTyE
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-14-2018, 04:01 PM   #5
SmoothBoarBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Just making sure but did you slice against or with the grain? That can have a significant impact on the tenderness of the meat. Any chance you have pics?

Gorilla Fabrications Wood/Propane Hog style smoker
SmoothBoarBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2018, 04:19 PM   #6
RedFlowerBBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Hot and Fast usually renders for me around 210, 207 is not that far out of the ballpark. with hot and fast I always rest longer, a lot longer, usually at least 2 hours.
RedFlowerBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2018, 04:27 PM   #7
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

Maybe a poor quality brisket?

Maybe you did not trim the hard fat and that's what you are dealing with?

Undercooked?

I dunno. Strange.
Rockinar is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2018, 09:25 PM   #8
Westx
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqpitsmoker View Post
Was probing like butter towards the point end dropping the probe straight down into the brisket theough the pojnt and flat. Rested for approx 20 mins then sliced. One of my worst results ever. Slices of flat were so tough and rubbery that they couldnt be broken by stretching between my hands.

What did i do wrong?
IMHO you probed in the wrong place to check for tenderness. The point area will normally always be probe tender before the flat. Need to be just in the thickest part of the flat. You probably were about 45 minutes to an hour away from the flat being done. At 275 to 300 I am normally looking at 6 to 7 hours before my briskets are done no matter the size. Also I think the rest was to short was to short.
24x42 Shirley Fabrication Elevated/Straight back patio model with warmer

Wes
Westx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2018, 09:52 PM   #9
Dr. Trout Bum
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westx View Post
IMHO you probed in the wrong place to check for tenderness. The point area will normally always be probe tender before the flat. Need to be just in the thickest part of the flat. You probably were about 45 minutes to an hour away from the flat being done. At 275 to 300 I am normally looking at 6 to 7 hours before my briskets are done no matter the size. Also I think the rest was to short was to short.
This...

Old 02-14-2018, 10:05 PM   #10
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

Yea probe the thick part of the flat, the point is deceiving

Help us raise funds to feed our Veterans and Homeless HERE

www.gofundme.com/2s8fv5qs
smoke ninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-15-2018, 03:46 PM   #11
Cook
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Jay

Tenderness in the flat...the point will follow.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:07 PM   #12
Smoke Dad
Got Wood.

I have never cooked brisket hot and fast. I want to tho, because I love to smoke but donít have 16 hrs to burn. Anyway, every recipe for h&f brisket that I have read including Myron Mixons, said to rest in cooler with towels and all that for approx 4 hours. Throw a 200 degree huge piece of beef into a hotbox and itís gonna keep cooking. But without adding more heat to it, itís kind of just simmering...My bet is thatís where the magic happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Smoke Dad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2018, 09:33 PM   #13
Westx
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Dad View Post
I have never cooked brisket hot and fast. I want to tho, because I love to smoke but donít have 16 hrs to burn. Anyway, every recipe for h&f brisket that I have read including Myron Mixons, said to rest in cooler with towels and all that for approx 4 hours. Throw a 200 degree huge piece of beef into a hotbox and itís gonna keep cooking. But without adding more heat to it, itís kind of just simmering...My bet is thatís where the magic happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do a search on here for the Bludawg brisket. It is hot and fast and no cooler required.
24x42 Shirley Fabrication Elevated/Straight back patio model with warmer

Wes
Westx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2018, 10:42 AM   #14
jmay00
Found some matches.

Default This brisket confused me

Sometimes you just get a crappy brisket and nothing you do will make it "un crappy".
jmay00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2018, 11:03 AM   #15
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

I'll put my 2 cents in.... I am going with either it was a poor quality brisket, or you were probing in the wrong spot.

Don't think probing it from the side on the thickest part of the flat is gonna do you any good. The outsides of the meat will probe tender before the middle of the flat. I always probe from the top.