MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-14-2018, 04:28 PM   #16
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

Sweet looking smokers. Pricey though. I think they look better than Jambo and would prolly pick an Outlaw Cart over a Jambo Cart.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 02-14-2018, 04:32 PM   #17
LTG
Take a breath!

I just bought an Outlaw. Fit and finish is top notch. They are a top flow smoker.

As far as the usual moans about price the devil is in the details. They are loaded from the start which means heavy round bar grates which hold heat better and are much easier to clean, SS shelf is standard and folds down, heavy duty charcoal basket is standard, split ash pan design, windproof intake instead of a cheesy pinwheel, SS removable stack instead of one that is just welded on, butterfly valve in the stack instead of a rotating cap, full 1200 degree powdercoat finish which some builders still dont do for some reason, 2 grease drains standard, SS handles, etc.

They are a modular design so if a guy switches to a porch trailer he can just buy a new base or if he wants a roadworthy trailer he can switch to a hybrid.

Best of all: 3-4 week wait time.

Note: I'm not paid, not sponsored, etc. I cook competitions and do not need a massive cooker.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:39 PM   #18
RedFlowerBBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

If you want great performance with a much lower cost, I'd say the Jambo Backyard would be great! the airflow on the Jambo is awesome and it cooks efficiently and consistent. I have an older one but it cooks excellent and have had very good results with it!
RedFlowerBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2018, 04:43 PM   #19
BillN
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Bill

Ted as you know I am a LSG fan and when I look at the Outlaw and a comparable build on a LSG the cost difference is pennys, same for a comparable SF reverse flow. The way I look at it the Outlaw has everything you want and will most likely be the last smoker you will ever need/want and something you can pass on. Plus I want to see what you can produce on that bad boy so the 3 to 4 week lead time gets you cooking all the sooner. Also they are close enough you can pick it up.

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-14-2018, 06:07 PM   #20
gtsum
is One Chatty Farker

That’s one nice looking cooker. The price doesn’t seem too bad considering the apparent quality of the unit. Go for it and post up lots of pics of the firebox and baffle:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
gtsum is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2018, 06:14 PM   #21
Pappy Q
is One Chatty Farker

I have an Outlaw and absolutely love it. I’ve had Jambo’s and about everything else and the Outlaw is as good or better than any of them.
Pappy Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2018, 06:22 PM   #22
midwestmindz
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Midwestmindz

I have an Outlaw Enclosed and can't say enough good things about it. Great quality and fit and finish is amazing. There customer service is awesome. And the best thing is a 3-5 week wait time. If your on the fence about one you won't be sorry you made the purchase. Any questions PM me.
midwestmindz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2018, 07:38 PM   #23
TedW
is One Chatty Farker

Quite a few Outlaw owners out there! That's great. I appreciate all thoughts posted. What a great forum.
TedW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2018, 08:39 AM   #24
smoke ninja

My dream smoker and close to home to boot. If i start saving i should have enough in about a decade. Sooner if i stop eating meat but then what would i cook on it.

I champion this top heat design and would love to see one first hand in person.

Oh and you guys questioning cost money is realitive. Ted lives where we vacation and has a stainless steel uds. Nuff said

Help us raise funds to feed our Veterans and Homeless HERE

www.gofundme.com/2s8fv5qs
smoke ninja is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2018, 09:19 AM   #25
Hog1990
Full Fledged Farker

I have the Hybrid model and it is so well constructed. Huge insulated firebox, hold temps like a champ! Just like any newer build start-up, they continue to improve things. Jay and Tyler are both very good to work with. Because Craig Welding is a custom shop, you can make minor changes to the build, I added a unique logo plate. I haven't cooked on a Jambo, but I have been very impressed with The Outlaw Hybrid.
- PK Original
- American Barbque Systems Barbecube
KCBS CBJ
Hog1990 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2018, 11:04 AM   #26
70monte
Full Fledged Farker

I checked out their website and the YT videos. Pretty impressive. I just got done reading Aaron Franklin's book and it seems like this cooker is similar to what he builds and uses. I really like the intake system.

Hog1990, I see you live just down the road from me. I wouldn't mind checking out yours some day.

Wayne

Old 02-15-2018, 11:39 AM   #27
TedW
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70monte View Post
...it seems like this cooker is similar to what he builds and uses.
Exactly. Jambo also
TedW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2018, 02:13 PM   #28
Hog1990
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70monte View Post
I checked out their website and the YT videos. Pretty impressive. I just got done reading Aaron Franklin's book and it seems like this cooker is similar to what he builds and uses. I really like the intake system.

Hog1990, I see you live just down the road from me. I wouldn't mind checking out yours some day.

Wayne
Anytime, Just let me know.
- PK Original
- American Barbque Systems Barbecube
KCBS CBJ
Hog1990 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2018, 12:49 PM   #29
BearSmokeBBQ
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post
My dream smoker and close to home to boot. If i start saving i should have enough in about a decade. Sooner if i stop eating meat but then what would i cook on it.

I champion this top heat design and would love to see one first hand in person.

Oh and you guys questioning cost money is realitive. Ted lives where we vacation and has a stainless steel uds. Nuff said

What does the "top flow"/"top heat" design mean? Just curious what makes them different from say just a standard ole offset cooker. They are some beautiful looking rigs!
BearSmokeBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2018, 01:00 PM   #30
smoke ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearSmokeBBQ View Post
What does the "top flow"/"top heat" design mean? Just curious what makes them different from say just a standard ole offset cooker. They are some beautiful looking rigs!
The outlaw smokers, jambo, Muscat (i believe, dont quote me) and to a point aaron Franklin all run top heat traditional flow cookers. Im sure theres more but these are a few im familiar with. Its as it sounds heat comes from the top pushed up by a reversed baffle and a raised up oversized firebox. The exhaust is dropped low. This creates a nice even heat distubution left to right and front to back with good airflow over the surface of the food. Its a great way to cook bbq. The only draw back i see is uneven heat up to down. This makes additional cooking racks less than idea meaning you'll have less cooking space per the footprint.

Help us raise funds to feed our Veterans and Homeless HERE

www.gofundme.com/2s8fv5qs
smoke ninja is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
Outlaw BBQ Products