The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-13-2018, 07:46 PM   #16
jgbmgb
is one Smokin' Farker

Check out the new Rec Tec's with new wifi controller. Great customer service. 6 year warranty.
jgbmgb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2018, 10:26 PM   #17
Cat797
Full Fledged Farker

Love my YS640.....no issues in the 3 years I've owned mine and I bought it used. You don't need wifi or any of the other fancy stuff that costs more money.

Old 02-13-2018, 10:53 PM   #18
jasonjax
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1990 View Post
I have owned Yoders (480, 640, 1500), Green Mountain, Traeger, Cookshack (PG-500, FEC100 & 120, RecTec 680, Smoking Brothers 30, FireCraft, and Memphis Pro.

If you want the best and money is no concern, get a Memphis Wood Fired Grill and be done with it. The is no comparison to the brands I mentioned. Memphis wins in every category in my opinion.

Those are pretty serious statements! Would you mind elaborating on what makes the Memphis so much better in your opinion?

Would love to hear your thoughts as I have cooked on most of the stuff you mention above, and am a big Cookshack fan so I'm curious about statements like this, and always considering the next cooker.
jasonjax is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2018, 05:59 AM   #19
gtsum
is One Chatty Farker

I have had a stumps, kamados, and yoder 640 (still have it) and just ordered a Memphis Elite. For an all around cooker, the pellet grill (yoder, Mak, Memphis) is going to be tough to best. Smoke, bake, grill...they do it all. The good ones can sear right up there with a kamado.

I really like my yoder, but similar to Hogg’s post above, I feel the Memphis Elite is on a whole other level. My 640 is going up for sale when it gets warmer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
gtsum is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2018, 06:26 AM   #20
JayQ
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum View Post
I have had a stumps, kamados, and yoder 640 (still have it) and just ordered a Memphis Elite. For an all around cooker, the pellet grill (yoder, Mak, Memphis) is going to be tough to best. Smoke, bake, grill...they do it all. The good ones can sear right up there with a kamado.

I really like my yoder, but similar to Hogg’s post above, I feel the Memphis Elite is on a whole other level. My 640 is going up for sale when it gets warmer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
At this point, my only regret is not getting the bigger elite model. I know you will enjoy it.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:53 AM   #21
charliek
Got rid of the matchlight.

Name/Nickname : Charlie K

Thanks Everyone
charliek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2018, 08:41 AM   #22
OklaDustDevil
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Ray

I debated between Yoder 640 and Mak, but chose the Mak due to the programmable controller with probe. You can program it to hit various temp's for various lengths of time in succession and/or stay at temp until the internal meat temp hits a programmed number, as determined by the probe.

Rightly or wrongly, unlike many on here who insist on monitoring the cook, I really use it in a set and forget it manner and sleep all night while it cooks. I can program it to drop temp when the meat is done and hold at 200 until I get up and out to shut it down. So far no issue with that approach.
Chuckwagon Cookers Horizontal Offset Stickburner
Southern Cookers Vertical Stickburner
OklaDustDevil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2018, 10:16 AM   #23
sknabnoj
Full Fledged Farker

I have both a pellet grill and a gravity feed (Humphreys Tank II) and I personally think neither is a great option for what you are after. If I were you I'd go gravity fed for your briskets and other low and slow stuff and get yourself a 22.5 Weber kettle for chicken. While the pellet grill can "grill" it's really not where it shines IMO. A pellet smoker is for set it and forget it, low and slow BBQ. If you can afford a nice Gravity fed with a temp controller you've basically got a set it and forget it cooker with way more space in case you decide to entertain. Don't get me wrong, I love both of these cookers but, when it comes to chicken, grilled chicken, it's really hard to beat my weber set up over dual temp zones.

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-14-2018, 11:21 AM   #24
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

bingo ^
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-14-2018, 11:50 AM   #25
jasonjax
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknabnoj View Post
I have both a pellet grill and a gravity feed (Humphreys Tank II) and I personally think neither is a great option for what you are after. If I were you I'd go gravity fed for your briskets and other low and slow stuff and get yourself a 22.5 Weber kettle for chicken. While the pellet grill can "grill" it's really not where it shines IMO. A pellet smoker is for set it and forget it, low and slow BBQ. If you can afford a nice Gravity fed with a temp controller you've basically got a set it and forget it cooker with way more space in case you decide to entertain. Don't get me wrong, I love both of these cookers but, when it comes to chicken, grilled chicken, it's really hard to beat my weber set up over dual temp zones.
The right kind of pellet cooker will do both well. My Cookshack PG500 hits 700+ degrees on the sear side for grilling.
jasonjax is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-14-2018, 12:33 PM   #26
sknabnoj
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjax View Post
The right kind of pellet cooker will do both well. My Cookshack PG500 hits 700+ degrees on the sear side for grilling.
I agree... it can do it "well" but, charcoal will burn at rates of triple that temp or higher. Again, all i'm saying is I think pellet cookers shine as low and slow cookers. Yes, they can do convection at reasonably high temps and some have decent direct grill features but, you can't beat a cheapo charcoal grill when you are grilling high heat.