MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:04 AM   #1
charliek
Got rid of the matchlight.

Name/Nickname : Charlie K
Default Gravity Feed Vs Pellet Smoker

I need some help, I am trying to decide if I should buy a Yoder 640 Vs a Stumps Baby XL. These smokers will be used in my backyard, and price is not the major concern here, flavor on chicken and beef are the major concerns.

My family loves grilled chicken, not too big on Smokey chicken, so is it better to get a pellet grill over the Stumps smoker? I know I can go back and cook my chicken on my custom grill that I have but that defeats the purpose of me getting a new toy that I can set it and forget it. Any opinions/comments would be great, thanks
charliek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2018, 08:15 AM   #2
smokeswirl
Full Fledged Farker

I smoke exclusively on pellet smokers. and there are a few draw backs.

1. Possibility of auger jams
2. Possibility of interrupted electricity
3. Hot Rod will fail. Just a matter of time.
4. Run out of pellets during a cook
5. Buying pellets has gotten easier but not as easy as wood or charcoal
6. Fans, fuses, controller can go too.
7. Light smoke flavor

All that said I love my pellet cookers. Sort of like being in a relationship with a high maintenance person.
Have you considered which pellet grill to buy. Some of the higher end pellet grills mitigate a lot of these issues. Memphis, Fast Eddy's, Yoder.

What about a lonestar grillz insulated vertical cooker? I dream about this cooker.
smokeswirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2018, 08:47 AM   #3
tunnelengineer
Knows what a fatty is.

If you are after grilled chicken with crispy skin, and don't want a ton of smoke, definitely get the Yoder over the Stumps. You will be able to crank it up for high heat chicken during the week if you want. You can't do that on the Stumps without a ton of planning.

Buy based on your needs. For what you mentioned the Yoder is exactly what you need.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:51 AM   #4
NCGrimbo
is One Chatty Farker

If you get the two part diffuser plate with the YS640, you can crank the temps up over 450 with the clean out port opened and not have to worry about the plate warping. Put some grill grates over the port and you have a nice hot grill.

As for the draw backs mention by smokeswirl, I think all but #7 apply to both smokers. I've never worked with a Stumps, so I don't know what level of smoke it produces. But in my book, a lighter smoke flavor is a good thing. And it's easier to add more smoke flavor with an Amaze-N-Tube if you want more.
"At what point did we forget that the Space Shuttle was, essentially, a program that strapped human beings to an explosion and tried to stab through the sky with fire and math? How jaded do we have to be to lose collective interest in that?" - Robert Brockway
-----------------------------------------------------------
Weber 26.5"
Yoder YS640

-NCGrimbo
NCGrimbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2018, 10:30 AM   #5
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

Pellet cooker can technically do both.. but I like playing with fire..

I think a stumps will last longer and perhaps you can dial in your smoke flavor easier with that style cooker. Both are set and forget type of cookers IMO.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2018, 10:54 AM   #6
Hog1990
Full Fledged Farker

I have owned Yoders (480, 640, 1500), Green Mountain, Traeger, Cookshack (PG-500, FEC100 & 120, RecTec 680, Smoking Brothers 30, FireCraft, and Memphis Pro.

If you want the best and money is no concern, get a Memphis Wood Fired Grill and be done with it. The is no comparison to the brands I mentioned. Memphis wins in every category in my opinion.
- PK Original
- American Barbque Systems Barbecube
KCBS CBJ
Hog1990 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2018, 02:17 PM   #7
Ylouder
Knows what a fatty is.

I recently added a pellet smoker after my Akorn suffered and untimely death after 4 years of faithful use. Long story short too much booze, wind shifted, nudged it forward and went off porch...

I've toyed with the idea of an pellet grill for ease of use and so far I love it. But as others have said, it's a very high maintenance woman. Expensive to buy, expensive to feed, can't leave it alone (pellets could feed incorrectly), and it can blow through a 25lb bag of pellets in the winter like it's nothing. Plus I know at some point (hopefully years down the road) I'm going to have issues with electronics, auger or igniter and it's all going to hit the fan and force me to move on....

But for the moment, I'm 100 percent happy with it.
Ylouder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2018, 02:25 PM   #8
Ylouder
Knows what a fatty is.

No joke, after all my years with my offset, charcoal smoker, Akorn kamado, gas grill, and now pellet grill.

My entire family has raved and asked for more food off of my pellet than pretty much every other smoker combined.

100 percent thin blue smoke, 24/7, 365 and within 25 degrees of setpoint.
Ylouder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2018, 03:00 PM   #9
Smoke on Badger Mountain
Babbling Farker

In your case it sounds like a pellet pooper in the winning ticket.

24"x48" Custom Offset, 22" Weber Kettle , Camp Chef 2 burner w/ griddle. An almost finished UDS
Insta @lumberjacksmokestack
Smoke on Badger Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2018, 03:08 PM   #10
olewarthog
Full Fledged Farker

I have an Assassin 17 gravity feed. Very similar to the Baby XL. I use charcoal only, no wood, when cooking chicken or wings. I use either KB Pro or Stubbs briquettes. I find I get a very nice, subtle smoke flavor with Stubbs. Never cooked on a pellet. You wont get as crispy a skin as grilled.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:40 PM   #11
hurricanedavid
is one Smokin' Farker

Definitely Stumps Baby XL for obvious reasons...

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-13-2018, 04:26 PM   #12
kathicooks
Full Fledged Farker

All about the Stumps. Totally set and forget and you get amazing smoke at whatever intensity you want. Just adjust how much wood chunk you mix into your lump.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-13-2018, 04:46 PM   #13
Richard_
is One Chatty Farker

A pellet grill will have you cooking sooner , I can fire up my traeger and be cooking in about 15 minutes , before you spend a lot of money , try Craigslist
Weber 18.5 R.I.P.
Smokey Joe
Treager 070
Traeger 075
UDS
Brinkmann Cimarron
Pink Thermapen

Last edited by Richard_; 02-13-2018 at 05:01 PM..
Richard_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2018, 05:00 PM   #14
Richard_
is One Chatty Farker

https://wilmington.craigslist.org/hs...490536352.html Here's a great deal on a nice used traeger , I've bought 3 from Craigslist , 2- 070 for $175 and for $250.00 and a 075 for $400.00 , I know you said Yoder , but this a great way to see if you like pellets , plus you can resell it and recoup all your money
Weber 18.5 R.I.P.
Smokey Joe
Treager 070
Traeger 075
UDS
Brinkmann Cimarron
Pink Thermapen
Richard_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2018, 06:08 PM   #15
JayQ
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1990 View Post
I have owned Yoders (480, 640, 1500), Green Mountain, Traeger, Cookshack (PG-500, FEC100 & 120, RecTec 680, Smoking Brothers 30, FireCraft, and Memphis Pro.

If you want the best and money is no concern, get a Memphis Wood Fired Grill and be done with it. The is no comparison to the brands I mentioned. Memphis wins in every category in my opinion.
I can’t attest to the other grills but I can say that the Memphis is a fine machine. It truly is a masterpiece. I’ve cooked on it everyday since I’ve gotten mine and I find that it is more capable than I imagined. The smoke flavor is darn near identical to my offset when I cook at 250 but at 350 I can bake a pizza with zero smoke. I seared a couple ribeyes at 650 that had a fantastic sear.

IMHO every cooker has positives and negatives but pellet is so hard to beat. Go with a quality pellet smoker and be done with it. Cook anything and everything and have time with family and friends while it does most of the work.