MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-12-2018, 09:28 PM   #16
16Adams
somebody shut me the fark up.

I possess the BGE mini. My portable cooker is a Weber Go Anywhere. I understand the lure of ceramic cookers. I’m guessing it weighs 30-35#??? No clue what the Mini Max. My mini is basically a really fun grill. That sits in its same spot. I’ve traveled fairly extensively, with my WGA. BGE mini will get 650 plus, and takes a while to cool down. WGA will cool in minutes.

Like I said, I understand the ceramic attraction- but The portability and versatility of the WGA is pretty cool and under $50

Looking forward to discovering which ceramic grill you go with and a review of your travels and cooks.

Last edited by 16Adams; 02-12-2018 at 09:34 PM..
16Adams is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 02-13-2018, 09:50 AM   #17
SeanBBQ
On the road to being a farker

Thank you all I do appreciate the posts and guidance. Im looking for the small ceramic because it is just my wife and I and Id like to use less fuel to cook for the two of us than I currently use on the Weber 22". Also, I own property that I like to spend the weekend at and it is off grid. So if I could have a little ceramic there that I could grill, roast, smoke, etc. on that would be awesome. Thats why I stated "portability" and am sticking to smaller kamados. I dont want to leave this thing there as it could walk off so being able to take it with me is key.

16Adams thanks for the idea about the WGA but I already have a Weber Q that is portable and can do most of if not all of what the WGA can do. Still may have to get one anyway and add it to the arsenal. :)

I am leaning toward the KJjr as long as I can get it for a great price and it comes with the goodies. If not, i think I am still leaning that way because of the warranty and free shipping should something occur.

Old 02-13-2018, 09:54 AM   #18
Smokey-T
Full Fledged Farker

I have been a Primo owner for about 10 years. When there was any issue, I could call and it was taken care of. I like the fact that they are made and built in the US, unlike alot of the other brands. It is great to cook on. From doing reverse sears, regular grilling of foods, smoking (cold and hot) as well as the best pizza oven around.

Good luck in your search!

Old 02-13-2018, 11:02 AM   #19
Hotch
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hotch

If you would like to see what the Mini BGE (10" grid) is capable of, do a youtube or Goggle search for "Magic Mini Moments". Leroy, aka Spring Chicken, compiled I believe ten or so picture videos of cooks on the BGE Mini.
I have two along with a MiniMAX and a large.
And The Ceramic Grill Store is the go to for accessories on any of the ceramic cookers!

The 2018 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Post! (Link)
Hotch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2018, 01:03 PM   #20
ulc
Full Fledged Farker

If you're looking at KJjr and Costco member, it's hard to beat Costco Roadshow prices. KJjr is $400 during the Roadshow. If you're in MO, there's roadshow in Kansas City during 2/23 - 3/04.
https://www.costco.com/kamado-joe-schedule.html
ulc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2018, 12:05 PM   #21
SeanBBQ

Decision Made

I am going with the Kamado Joe Jr. With all the input from this crew as well as what I've read how could I go wrong.

St Louis BBQ Store has one with my name on it and I'll pick it up in the next day or so. Cant wait to fire it up this weekend.

Thank you all for the input and helping in the decision.

Old 02-14-2018, 12:15 PM   #22
jermoQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy
Default Not experienced

But my bro-in-law has had a large egg for 6+ years, and says overall a KJ would be a better choice.
No name stick burning cabinet
UDS
jermoQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2018, 02:35 PM   #23
hachi-roku_fan
is one Smokin' Farker

Congrats on the new grill! The Jr has the built in deflector. I don't know if the BGE has one or not. I have the Jr and the Big Joe
hachi-roku_fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2018, 01:51 PM   #24
SeanBBQ

Picked up the KJjr today over my lunch. Already planning to fire it up tonight. 2 whole chickens going on.

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-16-2018, 01:59 PM   #25
SeanBBQ

Last night did a couple chickens and then a few short ribs. All came out very tasty. Chicken was juicy and skin crispy. Nice.
For today I have a 7lb pork shoulder on...going good so far. Just settling into temp. Cant wait.

Thanks again for all the help in choosing. So far so good.