MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-15-2007, 12:45 AM   #376
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
Dayum...that might be cheaper than the Traegers!
Bentley how much paint did you inhale?

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2007, 11:49 AM   #377
Bentley
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck View Post
Bentley how much paint did you inhale?

Comon there sporto...I am talking about the difference between charcoal and pellet cost!.. Hey another movie quote, "Do you take me for a Moooron!"
Certified Master Judge #5382

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2007, 02:05 PM   #378
Bentley
Babbling Farker

Started the charcoal at 10:15, it is 10:30 and the grate temp is already 160*, this thing may work! Updates to follow!

Edit: Well its 10:45, the grate temp is 215*. Put the first cap back on the 3/4 inch nipple, we see how easy it is to stabilizes at 230*!

Edit: 11:45, 1 hour in. Grate temp 235*. Through on two packs of pellets in foil to give some wood smoke. Probably would not have believed it if I was not doing it! Lets see if I can maintain that temp and for how long.

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."

Old 08-15-2007, 02:22 PM   #379
motley que
is one Smokin' Farker

arent they awesome. i guarantee anytime you cook on one of those in public people will be amazed by them. i had FE100/BWS/Stumps owners all looking at my drums in amazement.

just dont forget the bottle opener mod.
30 qt outdoor cooker
Blue Drum Smoker
Red Drum Smoker
Orange Drum Smoker
Weber Smokey Joe - my 3 yr olds pit
Blue Thermopen
Harbor Freight Weed Burner

Tired, but wiser for the time
motley que is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2007, 03:44 PM   #380
Bentley
Babbling Farker

Well 3 hours into the cook. The drum has held temps between 225* and 240* for the last 3 hours! Cant believe I have nothing on the pit! Couple of pictures. temp guage and the amount of charcoal that had burnt!

It does amaze me! Maybe its because I built it, but these little bad boys really work! The only thing I will say is I am not sure about the pellets in foil for smoke, just does not appear to generate a lot of smoke, I no that is hard to judge, but I could see myself using chunks of hardwood or pressure treated to get more smoke!

Old 08-15-2007, 04:26 PM   #381
motley que
is one Smokin' Farker

i agree about the pellets, just get some chunks in there and let her rip. if you get a real big chunk, just place it in the center of the basket and place your lump around it, then it constantly gives off that nice blue smoke
30 qt outdoor cooker
Blue Drum Smoker
Red Drum Smoker
Orange Drum Smoker
Weber Smokey Joe - my 3 yr olds pit
Blue Thermopen
Harbor Freight Weed Burner

Tired, but wiser for the time
motley que is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2007, 04:48 PM   #382
Norcoredneck

Quote:
Started the charcoal at 10:15 , we see how easy it is to stabilizes at 230*!

Edit: 11:45, 1 hour in. Grate temp 235*. Probably would not have believed it if I was not doing it! .
Quote:
Well 3 hours into the cook. The drum has held temps between 225* and 240* for the last 3 hours! Cant believe I have nothing on the pit! Couple of pictures. temp guage and the amount of charcoal that had burnt!

It does amaze me! Maybe its because I built it, but these little bad boys really work! The only thing I will say is I am not sure about the pellets in foil for smoke, just does not appear to generate a lot of smoke, !
Perhaps you have found your road back to Grand Champion quality food Grasshopper.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2007, 05:28 PM   #383
Bentley
Babbling Farker

Well it is 3:15, the drum has stayed at between 230-245*, 5 hours and maybe half the chacoal burned! Maybe! I dont even care about how long it could burn on 5#'s anymore! Fugetaboutit! I want to see if it can grill a tri-tip. I have opened all the 3/4 inch nipples and opened up the ball valve, want to see how high I can get the temps now! Just put a small tri-tip on, maybe 1 1/2 lbs, well have some photos when it is done. I am sure this will ruffel a few feathers, but why would you ever buy a WSM when you could have one of these babies for 1/4 the price!

How high a temp have some have you all gotten it to?

Old 08-15-2007, 05:31 PM   #384
Bentley
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck View Post
Perhaps you have found your road back to Grand Champion quality food Grasshopper.

I already got two GC there Master! I will always be a pellethead! I am just amazed these things do what they do for 1/4 the price of a WSM and 1/20 the price of a Traeger! Will see how the tri-tip comes out, been a long, long time since I cooked anything on charcoal!

Old 08-15-2007, 05:32 PM   #385
Bigmista

If you leave the lid off, you can get well in excess of 450.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2007, 06:19 PM   #386
jgh1204
Babbling Farker

Welcome to the club. BTW, I find that I have to cook at lower temps on my UDS.

Old 08-15-2007, 06:24 PM   #387
swamprb

Quote:
I already got two GC there Master! I will always be a pellethead! I am just amazed these things do what they do for 1/4 the price of a WSM and 1/20 the price of a Traeger! Will see how the tri-tip comes out, been a long, long time since I cooked anything on charcoal!
Lifted from the BDS site:
http://bigdrumsmokers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=2614
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2007, 08:34 PM   #388
Bentley
Babbling Farker

Well...6:11 and it is still 225*. I shut it down cuz I am tired of it! At 3pm I put the tri-tip in and raised the temp, did not have an chunks of hardwood, so I added a few chunks of 2x8 I cut into small pieces. It was probably doug fir or pine, I would probably not reccomened this to people who do not like an earthy, construction like flavor! Hey, I wanted it up to grilling temps! It cooks deceptively well, it was a small tri-tip, but as you can see by the pictures, way over cooked for me! No pink, no good! Still was able to force it down with some garlic mashed potatoes!

Folks, these thinks work, make no mistake about that! I could see putting 10#'s of charcoal in this thing and it cooking within a 15* range for 16 hours easy! And there is nothing I can think of in the competition BBQ world that should take more than 16 hours!

Kristin says it has to go so it is on the sales block! I will put it in the CBBQA for sale thread with price.

Reduced: 80% of original size [ 800 x 600 ] - Click to view full image

Heck of a nice smoke ring for 90 minutes!

Reduced: 80% of original size [ 800 x 600 ] - Click to view full image

Old 08-16-2007, 01:45 PM   #389
N8man
Babbling Farker

Thumbs up Good Job!!

Bentley, It looks like you did a Real Fine Job!!!! Good Job!!!
Do you really have to get rid of it? Be nice to have it around....

How I Fire Up That Ugly DrumPit Smoker!!!!
N8man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2007, 01:53 PM   #390
Bentley
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8man View Post
Bentley, It looks like you did a Real Fine Job!!!! Good Job!!!
Do you really have to get rid of it? Be nice to have it around....
Its already sold! I have had 3 more people contact me about them off Craigs list, maybe $50 is to cheap! Told them I would build each one of them one if they wanted, will be curious to see if any respond!

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker