MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:21 PM   #106
speers90
is One Chatty Farker

I feel so inadequate! Can't wait to see this beauty in person in a couple of months.

The Beast: 500 Gallon Homemade Reverse Flow
[url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187401[/url]
Weber 22"
Cajun Fryer FF2
speers90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2012, 07:33 PM   #107
Triple T BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by speers90 View Post
I feel so inadequate! Can't wait to see this beauty in person in a couple of months.
Like I said, drop by for a cold one and stay a while. I really liked your build too!

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-21-2012, 08:14 PM   #108
chinesebob
is One Chatty Farker

Wow. That is simply amazing.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:56 PM   #109
LoneStarMojo
is one Smokin' Farker

Great thread...very interesting build! Whenever I get mine underway I'll be referencing this one.
cuz it's not the end..."

Modified Char-Griller / Whalen 37.5" King Kettle [url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108709[/url] / Very near future UDS & 6' x 37" 325 gallon offset projects.
LoneStarMojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2012, 12:37 AM   #110
RevZiLLa
is Blowin Smoke!

You're a perfectionist! Thanks for sharing

Brinkman water smokers (elec and charcoal)
Weber kettle grill
Uniflame Gold Stainless 5 burner propane grill / rotisserie
BBQ Grillware upright propane water smoker
A trench filled with wood coals and covered with chain link fence
RevZiLLa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2012, 11:24 AM   #111
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

I am definitely liking your build. I'm interested in the finished project! We didn't find an old stove for the firebox, but we did find the door to one! Thought about your build when I saw it. Keep it up, man!
* XL [COLOR=seagreen]BGE[/COLOR] *Charbroil offset (cheapo) and a *[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125966"]project in the making 6' long x 28" diameter offset[/URL] [COLOR=red]<<<[/COLOR]Take a look!
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2012, 12:20 PM   #112
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

I think this my all time favorite offset build! Your attention to detail is really commendable! Keep it comin!!!

Old 02-24-2012, 06:55 PM   #113
Triple T BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

okay gang. You know what time it is!!

Yep. More progress! Most of the heavy lifting is now done and we are getting ready to go to sandblasting, finally. We tore the trailer back down a bit more so we could do the deck plates and finish up some wiring, and misc items.

Here is the front storage box off the trailer and torn back down to just the frame. It will get painted gloss black. Using a 2011 lexus black with deep clear coat on everything but the smoker. The smoker is getting the 1500 degree ceramic gloss black paint. Hopefully it will not peel off the firebox.

It looks a little sad but here is the smoker sitting outside with the firebox grate trimmed down. Also in the picture is the minion box frame. Need to add the dividers to the box and put some heavy mesh on the bottom of the box still. Got the second temp gauge ring installed now too. We didn't like how the top of the firebox came out and how warped the original steel was so we cut the top off the stove and put some more fresh steel back on it and rewelded it. Ready to get blasted!

We finished up the inner sleeve so now we can control how long the smoke stays in the upper part of the fire box. Its completely adjustable all the way down to cooking grates. The chrome stack will have a damper up high to help us control draw where needed. Pics coming for that a little later. Need to get this sucker off the to sandblaster.

Another shot of the front with the doors open. Both temp gauge rings are in place and the front and rear angle iron is in place to help with the lower cooking grates. Need to still get the front to back rails in place yet.

Here is another shot of the interior firebox. It seems big when we started but its getting smaller all the time it seems. Trimed the lower grate down on the sides so it will sit lower in the firebox and allow more room above the logs when we are burning sticks and splits only.

Here is a shot with the wood grate installed. Some finish welding is still needed on the edges but you get the idea of where it will sit when finished. Nice and level to stack everything on.

Another shot of the Minion box mock up. It still needs dividers and bottom mesh installed but you can see how it just slides into place with or without the grate installed. Sectioned the front so its easy to drop splits or lump in without pulling the entire box out of the firebox too. I think it came out pretty nice. We shall see soon how well it works for us.

My buddy's famous headless torso in the background again. He's really camera shy and has sucessfully avoided most of the shots we have taken while documenting this build. Just got done installing the Aluminium Tread Plate (ATP) on the deck of the trailer. Once we are sure we have it all just right then it gets ripped back off before we goto the sandblaster and paint. Did I mention its snowing like crazy right now? It seems like everytime I mention sandblast, bodyshop or paint in this thread then we get an arctic snowstorm! Grrrrr.....

A front view of the trailer. I also decided that if I ever pull the smoker off the trailer and put it in the side yard patio then I will just have a pretty sweet trailer to tow the ATV's with.

Thats it for this week. Next up: Upper rails for the cooking grates, final tear down, sandblasting, paint and body work. Then the smoke test!!!

Old 02-24-2012, 07:46 PM   #114
tish
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Been really enjoying this build. You guys could easily start your own business building them for folks who have more cash than skills. Can't wait to see the finished product!
Bubba Keg, Weber Genesis E-310 NG
Mini WSM, Shhh!!! Michael's surprise
Cornflower Blue Thermapen Might not be the fastest, but it sure is the prettiest!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud recipient of a certifiably uncertified limited edition MOINK ball certificate!!
tish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2012, 08:06 PM   #115
Triple T BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tish View Post
Been really enjoying this build. You guys could easily start your own business building them for folks who have more cash than skills. Can't wait to see the finished product!
Thanks. I know between all our time, we have over 50 hours of fun into this one and we are about 80% done. It does make the winter go by faster. I might do another one that would be slightly larger so you never know. If someone walks up with their checkbook out at one of the cooks, they might just take it home and we will just start another one. thanks for the thumbs up on our little project.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:50 PM   #116
Royalslover
Full Fledged Farker

Very nice work. I'm in the process of building a center feed reverse flow but quite a bit smaller. I see that you placed your chimney about cooking grate lever. What was your thought process as far as how high to put it?
Royalslover is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2012, 12:24 AM   #117
gtr

50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2012, 05:56 AM   #118
Wampus

What ^^^^HE^^^^ said!

Lookin farkin sweet!

Old 02-25-2012, 06:39 AM   #119
speers90
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalslover View Post
Very nice work. I'm in the process of building a center feed reverse flow but quite a bit smaller. I see that you placed your chimney about cooking grate lever. What was your thought process as far as how high to put it?
A lot of offset cookers have the exhaust around cooking grate level, it helps even the temperatures thoughout the cooker by keeping the hot air in the cooking chamber longer. You just have to make sure you know how to build a fire because you can over smoke meat if you don't have a clean fire.

The Beast: 500 Gallon Homemade Reverse Flow
[url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187401[/url]
Weber 22"
Cajun Fryer FF2
speers90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2012, 08:12 AM   #120
unklechuckles19
Got Wood.

I've been following your build since the start, and I'm loving it. Everything looks awesome and your attention to detail is impeccable! Great job so far, you're really starting to make me want to build an offset.
unklechuckles19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jambo clone, offset smoker, reverse flow horizontal, trailer