MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:07 AM   #1
schmitty28
On the road to being a farker

Default burnt ends help

attempting to make my first batch of burnt ends this weekend and was wondering should the sauce be sweet or spicy or sweet with a spicy kick and is that the same profile for competition bbq or is it all personal pref should they be foiled too during the cook process and how much longer should they go after getting them back to heat after separating the point from the flat (survey says )

Old 01-26-2013, 12:13 AM   #2
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

I think it's personal preference, or what you think your guests would like best.

90% of the burnt ends I've judged had a sweet profile. My personal preference is a peppery sauce.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2013, 02:20 AM   #3
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Remember a couple rules of bbq...when its done its done and it's your BBQ, so how would you enjoy it? Experiment and you will have it!

Old 01-26-2013, 09:05 AM   #4
Enkidu
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmitty28 View Post
attempting to make my first batch of burnt ends this weekend and was wondering should the sauce be sweet or spicy or sweet with a spicy kick and is that the same profile for competition bbq or is it all personal pref should they be foiled too during the cook process and how much longer should they go after getting them back to heat after separating the point from the flat (survey says )
1. I usually don't sauce my briskets (either the flat or the burnt ends). That said, variety is the spice of life and I occasionally do. I had some sweet & spicy BBQ sauce that I made previously left over that I used on the brisket I made for my father-in-law's B-day on MLK day. I combined 2 parts sauce with one part drippings from the brisket (strained) and it was pretty darned delicious. I've also combined a sweet & spicy sauce with a vinegar-based sauce and it wasn't bad at all. As with most things, it comes down to personal preference.

2. I am certainly no expert on burnt ends, but when I make them, I put them in an uncovered foil pan and put them back on for typically 60-90 minutes or so. But the length of time depends on several factors. The size of the ends you cube, the temp you are cooking, and your preference for how crispy they are. However, after having made briskets on back-to-back weekends, one in which I prepared burnt ends and the other in which I just sliced and ate the point, I am not sure I will be making a lot of burnt ends in the future since the sliced point is so damned delicious.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:35 AM   #5
Porcine Perfection
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : ...

I use Sauce on my burnt ends like I do on my ribs. I put it on about 30 minutes before I pull them off for the final time. Be careful though because if you leave them on too long the sugar in the sauce will burn.

"You don't win friends with salad!" - Homer Simpson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-26-2013, 11:24 AM   #6
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

For me, I cube up the point when I separate it from the flat and cook while the flat rests. Typically my go to is a 50/50 mix of Blue's Hog Original (sweet) and Night of the Living Pig (spicy). I stir the sauce in to the cubed ends and place uncovered back on the smoker. Occasionally I stir and let them cook for as long as I want. Personally, I like to get there where the sauce is almost carmalized.
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2013, 11:30 AM   #7
Corky
is one Smokin' Farker

I do a set each way for mine. Cube and make two smaller pans. One gets tossed with Blues Hog and rub ( the sweet) and the other gets that along with Habanero Death Dust and Rooster sauce added (the hot). The hot then has sweet undertones. People seem to like both but the hot really gets gobbled up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
[SIZE=2][COLOR=Blue][B]Blue[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE] Weber Performer
[COLOR=Blue][B]Blue[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen (Fastest in the West!)
[SIZE="2"][B][COLOR="Magenta"]拉猪肉[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
[B][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]509 BBQ Crew[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]
Corky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2013, 03:49 PM   #8
funman1
On the road to being a farker

I love mine sweet, but just personal preference