Propane tank for a smoker?

SteelSmokin

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Dose anybody have any idea where I could start looking for one in the Pittsburgh PA area I would really like to start building one for summer. Thanks for any info I just don't know where to start looking.

You might want to also find a PROFESSIONAL welder/blacksmith who has experience cutting open propane tanks. Do NOT try this at home! Cutting open a used propane tank is essentially defusing a bomb. Using an acetylene torch to cut open a tank (new or used) has killed more welders than any other welding process.

I am sure there will be people posting "advice" on how to "safely" do this yourself, but they are doing you no favors. Ask yourself this question. Would I try to defuse a bomb with instructions I read from a stranger on the internet?

Despite my warning, I am not trying to discourage you from making a smoker from a propane tank. Let someone who has experience and knows what they are doing, do this process for you. There will be plenty of work to be done afterwards.

Lager,

Juggy

I know here there are scrap companies that sell them or propane companies that sell their old ones. I soaked mine in soapy water for 6 months before cutting it it had been empty for years though and i gave a guy a bottle of Old Charter to cut it lol. The scrap companies here sell them with the ends cut off.

That first cut is always the bad one. Fll it full of water leave no head space you should have no problem

I have a professional willing to do the welding and cutting if I help and get the parts witch is why I'm looking for a tank.

Maybe go to a propane dealer sometime they have old tanks, or to a welding supply house .

Juggy has SOUND ADVICE. I've heard all sorts of stories about how to do it 'right', and I've also heard enough stories about people that didn't know what they were doing or made a mistake. The results weren't good!

IF YOU CAN'T FIND SOMEBODY THAT IS A PROFESSIONAL TO DO IT, TAKE THE TIME TO DO SO.

Fill it with water, Cut away. Once the first cuts re made, no problem

Back