MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:45 AM   #1
ccarter
Full Fledged Farker

Question First Brisket Questions

I'm hoping to do my first brisket tomorrow, and I would like to get some input.

I have 2 rubs/seasonings available at the moment: Bad Byron's Butt Rub, and McCormick's Montreal Steak seasoning. Which would be best for a brisket?

Can anyone give me some ballpark figures on cooking times? I'd like to cook around 235*-245*, but any figures for time would be appreciated. I will be cooking until the meat is probe tender, but I'd like to have some idea of how long I should expect it to take.

Thanks for the help!
ccarter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2012, 09:10 AM   #2
str8upcop04
Knows what a fatty is.

Either rub would do, keep it simple and the temps you're aiming for are right on for me at least. Keep a smokers journal of how the cook was set up and the steps you've taken and adjust later if need be. You'll get all sorts of suggestions....foil, no foil, inject, don't inject, fat cap up, fat cap down, etc...1 1/2hr per lb. as a general guideline but shoot for an internal of 190F and than probe test, you're looking for the butter feel. Let the meat rest for an hour or so foiled (internal temp will spike 5-10 degrees). Have fun and good luck!

Old 08-10-2012, 09:18 AM   #3
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

I use Montreal Steak Seasoning for briskets at home frequently. It comes out great. I grind it a bit in an old coffee grinder (don't use it for coffee later) to break up the chunks a little since they can be powerful when bitten into.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2012, 10:05 AM   #4
ccarter
Full Fledged Farker

Ron-Nice idea on the grinder!

Str8-I'm a big fan of K.I.S.S. I'm planning no foil, no injection, fat cap down for this first attempt. Thanks for the time estimate. That seems to be about the same as a butt, and that helps tremendously!

Old 08-10-2012, 10:23 AM   #5
willbird
Full Fledged Farker

One thing I noticed about the "steak" seasonings, most of it is salt, or a lot of it anyway. I'd prefer I think to have direct control of how much salt goes on there.

I did my first Brisket like the "basic brisket" instructions, turned out great. Second one I injected it with beef broth, and used Weber Chicago steak seasoning layed on heavy, then some raw sugar. The first one was easier and better. The second one was too salty.

Also the weather turned on me after I prepped the second one, and it sat in the fridge overnight with the salt laced rub on it.

One thing in the basic brisket thread showed putting seasoning on the fat cap, which the video posted here of a BBQ school with the chicago steak seasoning and injecting pointed out that nothing is going to get through the fat anyway, so it was easier to not have to try to season the "bottom".

I want to try a hot and fast, but from my limited experience, why not try low and slow first ?? But then folks say Hot and Fast comes out nice more consistently :-).

I think on my second one I pulled it too soon, it was not probe tender enough, the tendency is to feel that your going to overcook it, but many have said that is not impossible to do at 225, but sure not as easy to do at 225 as many of us newbies THINK it is.

I need to buy or make a probe that I use as THE probe, using a meat thermo as a probe is fine, but now knowing WHICH one you used last time and every time leaves you unsure if it is as "butter" as the last one was, some probes are blunter than others.

Bill
willbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2012, 10:32 AM   #6
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Take i part Montreal and add 1 part med grind black pepper to it.

Bump you temp to 270 and figure 45 min a lb.

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-10-2012, 10:35 AM   #7
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by willbird View Post
One thing in the basic brisket thread showed putting seasoning on the fat cap, which the video posted here of a BBQ school with the chicago steak seasoning and injecting pointed out that nothing is going to get through the fat anyway, so it was easier to not have to try to season the "bottom".
I've read that, too, but I still do it :) Maybe one day I'll try a brisket without rubbing the fat cap just to see if it makes any difference.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-10-2012, 10:59 AM   #8
willbird
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
I've read that, too, but I still do it :) Maybe one day I'll try a brisket without rubbing the fat cap just to see if it makes any difference.
Well in say a UDS, with the fat cap down, as that fat renders and gets burnt, it MIGHT add some subtle aromatics :-).

Bill
willbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2012, 11:32 AM   #9
Wampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by willbird View Post
One thing I noticed about the "steak" seasonings, most of it is salt, or a lot of it anyway. I'd prefer I think to have direct control of how much salt goes on there.
I agree. I've used the Montreal Steak Seasoning before and thought the bark and AuJous was a bit salty, so now I do VVVV THIS VVVVV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
Take i part Montreal and add 1 part med grind black pepper to it.
Or....I just go with a light layer of MSS and then another light layer of black pepper. Black pepper and beef go together like peas and carrots! You could also add a light layer of garlic powder too, another great flavor layer with beef.

Throw that thing on the smoker and let it ride until it's probe tender. POST PRON!

Old 08-10-2012, 01:31 PM   #10
ccarter
Full Fledged Farker

So I found that just finding the meat around my area isn't the easiest thing to do...

I checked my local grocery stores and no one had a whole packer (they had some small flats at $6/lb). Then I went to the local butcher shop. I tend to avoid that shop because I always leave paying too much. He wanted $5/lb for a packer and the smallest packer he had was 13 lbs. I wasn't up for paying $65 for my first attempt at brisket that only needs to feed 3-4 people. So I bit the bullet and went to Wal-Mart. Choice cut packers at $2.48/lb. Not a bad price, and they had a range of sizes from 7 lbs to 15 lbs. I got an 8.4 lbs packer that looked great. It's hard to tell much about the point, but the flat looks pretty nice.

I need to get my Sam's club membership going again. That's about the best bang for the buck for backyard smoking.

I think I'm going to go with the Montreal Steak seasoning, maybe modify is slightly with more pepper as y'all have suggested. How long should I let it sit after it's rubbed? I don't think overnight will be good given the salt quantity. I'm thinking rub the packer, start the smoker, and by then the rub will have set for a good amount of time.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:35 PM   #11
Wampus

I don't bother with rubbing before hand. Just another mess to deal with. I fire the smoker, then go in the house to trim and rub the meat while the smoker heats up. Nuff said.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:39 PM   #12
1911Ron
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampus View Post
I don't bother with rubbing before hand. Just another mess to deal with. I fire the smoker, then go in the house to trim and rub the meat while the smoker heats up. Nuff said.
K.I.S.S is it

Tags
brisket