$200 Budget for Meat

ClemsonTigers

Reaction score
I have a $200 budget for meat this weekend - smoking for the Clemson v Wake Forest game. I am cooking for around 30 to 40 people, but with a time limit. The tailgating spots open at 7 AM, the game starts at noon, and will be over around 3:30 PM. We expect to have some done before the game (perhaps chicken?), but also would like to have a feast after the game (pending a victory, if not we'll go home and eat ourselves into a blunder).

Any recommendations on what to smoke? Maybe a bunch of small butts?

Chicken is a good idea. Maybe do some wings or thighs for before the game. Also, I believe it is mandatory to do at least one fatty. Personally, I would do some hot and fast butts. You didn't say what you were cooking on but if it has good temp control you can crank the cooker up to 300+ and have those butts done quick. Get the bark to a good color then foil til done. I would think if you got in and setup quickly you could have them done by halftime, pull them and rest til after the game. Just some thoughts.

Or, if you wanted to really go all out, cook the night before and time it so you pull the meat (butts or even a brisket) off just before you leave. Then cooler til you were ready to eat. Although, I doubt they would hold in the cooler until after the game.

Start with breakfast burritos, sausages for lunch, brisket after the game..yum!

Do you have access to a bulk or restaurant supply food source, you are looking at $5 per person, which is not a bad budget. I would be tempted to precook some butts, break them into chunks for reheating. I often do this with time restricted cooks, where I will take butts, cook them the day before, break them into fist sized chunks, crash cool and refrigerate. Then reheat once time comes, only takes 30 mins or so, you can even grill them.

I do like the idea of breakfast tacos or burritos made with crumbled fatties and chopped veggies. Rancho beans are always cheap and stretch nicely with a little meat.

I cooked for the EIU cheerleaders for a homecoming tailgate party. about 40 ppl. I cooked chili, chicken, sausage and burgers with sides. I multitasked the entire game. I hope you weren't planning on watching the game too

I have a buddy that has a buddy that does a huge fest every week. He said he'll go to a nearby parking lot and get everything going, and then drive to his tailgating spot once the gates open. He said he tries to get as close as he can without having to pay, so the travel distance won't affect the cooking temp with all the wind.

I would suggest ribs if you were able to cook them 3/4 of the way the night before, then cool them quickly. Once in your tailgating spot, get them on the pit and reheat, glazing for the last 30 minutes as I'm sure you would do anyway. Aside from that chicken is another easy fix either chicken 1/2s or wings and/or other pieces. Add beans, fatties, ABT's, Moinks, and a couple of salads and I think you got it knocked.

I am going to be cooking on my new baby:

HousewarmingParty.jpg

Haven't had the opportunity to put a firebox on the side yet. This past weekend we broke her in and smoked a couple of butts, two racks of spareribs, and 2 chickens, all turned out well.

I read somewhere that someone "butterflied" butts to make them cook faster. I am going to be cooking for a bunch of inebriated folks, so we are trying to keep it as simple as possible. There may or may not be an ice luge present :grin:

I will not have the opportunity to cook beforehand, we will be starting that morning.

From what I have gathered so far, here is what I am thinking (but please keep the recommendations coming). I will get about $50 to $75 worth of chicken, maybe a mix of thighs, wings, and whole chickens. I would like to find some small butts and do them hot and fast.

Thoughts?

Why not make Pulled Pork in advance and chicken on-site. Breakfast fatty, Baked Beans, slaw and Mac&Cheese.

Is this $200 budget money from friend to provide tailgating food or do you have to fit your profit in there? Also if profiting how much of that $200 do you want to make?

Sausage and peppers, pulled pork sammies and chicken wings. Don't get crazy with alot of stuff people can't just grab and walk around with. Remember its a tailgate and people usually dont have a table to sit down at. Beer in one hand bun in the other brother. That's how I roll now. I did ribs, fatty and wings for UF VS TENN and was a little much to handle. Don't get me wrong, it was all gone but not ideal.

JimmyDAL: I don't have time to make pulled pork in advance, I will be driving down very early that morning and will not have time in the next two days.

HMBTN: It's $200 budget for the food, no profit. I am cooking for a group of friends from school.

Any thoughts on butterflying or cutting butts in half, so they cook faster?

Don't understand friends that want you to do this for $5 p/p. Hot Dog and a soda would be more than that at the stadium. If they pony up $10 p/p you can offer something that is worth the time and effort and if you are doing this for free you can use any overage for the next games food and add a few items and upgrade the choices.

I'm with you, PorkQPine. Tough to do a lightly lunch for $5. And you're right about a stadium hot dog being that much, too.

Too late now but in the future. I have cooked butts hot and fast quite a bit with good results. Start like you normally would for an hour or so at 275 to 300. A little higher than I cook my slow and low but trust me it works. After two hours pull them off and bring your temp to 325-350. Cut them in half and add some dripping or do like I do and pour a Guinness in the pan. Cover and cook another two hours or until they are falling apart. It is nice for quick cooks.

Back