Hot n' Fast Brisket On The UDS: Juicy Meaty Beefy Goodness

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
After my big meat score at Restaurant Depot, I decided my first casualty would be the USDA Choice Brisket. This one weighed in at just under 8lbs. You can see it here on the lower left:

IMG_0722-1.jpg

After I pulled it out of the cryovac, I trimmed the fat cap just a bit, and rubbed it down with Moose's Rib Rub #3:

IMG_0732.jpg

Meanwhile, I got my charcoal basket ready and filled it with briquets and a few pieces of oak and hickory:

IMG_0734.jpg

I added about 15 lit briquets to the middle of the charcoal pile:

IMG_0735.jpg

Put the charcoal basket in the drum and covered it, with all vents open so I could get it to temp:

IMG_0741.jpg

Once the temp gauge hit 275, I closed the vents down about 1/4, and dialed it in at 325 degrees. Time to put the brisket on!

IMG_0737.jpg

The drum held a steady 325 for the entire cook. I did flip it a few times, and also had some help from a friend who kept a watchful eye on the drum:

IMG_0738.jpg

After 5.5 hours, it was done! I inserted a probe thermometer and it went it like butter in both the point and flat:

IMG_0743.jpg

The missus wrapped it in foil, and we let it rest for a few hours. A bit later, our guests arrived, so it was time to get started on brisket deconstruction.

IMG_0744.jpg

The meat was so tender I literally pulled the point from the flat without having to use a knife:

IMG_0747.jpg

I saved the point, which I will cut into pieces in a few days and make burnt ends, so tonight we will enjoy the flat, which I slice against the grain:

IMG_0753.jpg

Here is one plate we served, with corn that was picked about an hour before dinner, along with freshly picked salad greens and tomatoes from the garden:

IMG_0755.jpg

This was the first brisket I cooked in my UDS, and it was absolutely amazing. So tender, and very juicy. I would like to acknowledge Bigabyte's excellent brisket tutorial as being instrumental in helping this be a successful cook. Thanks, Bigabyte! Brisket tutorial is HERE:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57882&highlight=Brisket+Tutorial

Real nice brother. That is one juicy slab of beef your slicing there.:thumb:

How's your little pit guardian doin' Moose?
IMG_0738.jpg

*pit guardian???* are you kidding... fugger smells brisket cooking and is trying to figure out how to steal it. if i was nearby i'd be trying to steal that brisket too. that's some good looking brisket.

Nice job Moose, you done good. One thing, it looks like you cut that flat on a bias to the grain, it could have been even more tender.

Well. I know I could have driven 50 miles...
Looks good. Nice to see you using the drum a bit more.

"I don't want to work. I just want to smoke on the drum all day":clap2:

Back