MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:45 PM   #16
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by roksmith View Post
If you turned in burnt ends that were tough, that would explain your tenderness score right there.. if they aren't going to improve your score leave them out. That goes for all categories. Never put in an optional component that is substandard. I've scored much higher with slices only than with tough burnt ends.
^^^ Yeah.... that!^^^
Pro Q Frontier, UDS (Little Red), "Turtle Drum" UDS, CG Gasser KCBS CBJ#61160
Southern Home Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2013, 01:03 PM   #17
jcpetro97
Full Fledged Farker

I honestly don't know... The setup is all a blur lol. I know that some of the pieces in the pan that didn't make the box were a little dry, but I didn't think all of them were. However, I am going to use the Occam's razor theory here, and go with the simplest explaination, which would be that the could have been on the dry side. I say that because I debated turning them in, and if there was even a question in my mind, I should have nixed the burnt ends from going into the box. Lesson learned for sure.. :D
jcpetro97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2013, 02:56 PM   #18
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

When did you Tate the meat? You need to try it at 1:40 or thereabouts. When you do the box prep a couple extra slices and let them sit. Same with burnt ends. Cooling will often tighten up slices and can dry out both slices and burnt ends.

As far as taste scores if you can eat a full slice without complaining about too much salt that's a problem. Judges usually do 1 bite, especially for brisket. They are getting full.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:55 AM   #19
roksmith
is one Smokin' Farker

Good points Ford... Remember each box you turn in is (to steal a phrase) a one bite challenge. You aren't looking for good eating bbq.. but a party in their mouth.
For every category, I'd shoot for (ever so) slightly over done at boxing time because they will tighten up as they cool.
For me, at least, with brisket I want my burnt ends to be soft and gooey.. not firm at all and I want the slices to just be holding together when they go in the box.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:19 AM   #20
Teltum
On the road to being a farker

That 5 is an anomoly. 1x6 3x7 1x8 you have a 4 point spread over all the bulk fell at 7 over all 6.83 is the more less average which rounds to a 7 which the rest of the table agrees with. That 5 looks out of line.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:18 PM   #21
jcpetro97
Full Fledged Farker

great points Ford.. thanks!!

Teltum, hadn't really thought about that honestly. When I saw the low number, my mind immediately went to " I obviously have something to fix" mode. Good stuff!! Thanks
jcpetro97 is offline   Reply With Quote