MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-16-2011, 04:37 PM   #631
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

I guess I'm qualified to have an opinion on my Kettle now.... I purchased the One-Touch Gold recently and have made several cooks on it. I haven't made any 'mods' per se to the kettle but I have bought some accessories for it. When I purchased the kettle, I also got the charcoal baskets to use for indirect cooking and I'm quite happy with those. They allow me to cook over direct and indirect heat on the same grill quite easily. I'm also using the Weber foil pans for water and to catch drippings and those work very well also. I also added the cast iron grates, which have performed very well on this grill.

My first few cooks on this grill were mainly over direct heat... steaks... At the same time I was cooking corn on the cob and some onion slabs. I would cook those over direct heat until they were almost done and then move them to indirect while the steaks were cooking on the hot side of the grill.

Today, I'm having my first low-and-slow experience on the kettle. I'm smoking a fatty to use in a baked beans recipe tomorrow. I loaded up both charcoal baskets with Kingsford bricks and put some hickory chips on top of the bricks. I positioned the baskets on each side with a foil pan full of water in the middle. I lit up one end of the charcoal in each of the two baskets and let the grill come up to about 225. I put the sausage on with a meat/pit probe and adjusted the lower vents on the kettle until the temp settled in at about 255 degrees. The kettle is currently holding nicely at between 255 and 265 for this cook, and there should be more than enough charcoal in there to cook this sausage up to about 170 internal temp. This test run has been successful and I'll probably use the same technique tomorrow to cook a batch of moinks and ABTs for the family meal I'm working on.

I'm so happy with this kettle that I gave my Char-Griller gasser away today. My GF's brother is the proud new owner of a good gas grill :)
JMSetzler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2011, 04:45 PM   #632
bigsapper
Take a breath!

I was gonna give my OTS away after I got my BGE, but I decided to keep it. I've had it for more than 10 years so it's due for a refurb. I'll put the ash catcher on it and the lid hoop.

These things just rawk!

Old 07-16-2011, 05:15 PM   #633
hansmatt
Found some matches.

Love my weber gas...but feeling the heat...maybe I should move to the real thing.
hansmatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2011, 05:23 PM   #634
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansmatt View Post
Love my weber gas...but feeling the heat...maybe I should move to the real thing.
I had the same issue. The last time I cooked steaks, I cooked them on the gasser. The last time I cooked burgers, I cooked them on the gasser. After those two cooks, I am going back strictly to charcoal.

Old 07-16-2011, 05:46 PM   #635
hansmatt
Found some matches.

I know the quality of the Webers...if/when I make the jump, I wonder if I should go ceramic and BGE or something else...or stick with tried & true. I also like to smoke, but have a Bradley (the microwave of smokers)
hansmatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2011, 06:59 PM   #636
bigsapper
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansmatt View Post
I know the quality of the Webers...if/when I make the jump, I wonder if I should go ceramic and BGE or something else...or stick with tried & true. I also like to smoke, but have a Bradley (the microwave of smokers)
Get both.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:39 PM   #637
WWBBQ
Got Wood.

It's really up to you as to what you get depending on how you cook and will use it. there is only one requirement in general "it has to be a weber"

[COLOR=blue]Displaced: [I]Western Pennsylvanian[/I][/COLOR]
Weber Smokey Mountains WSM (2-22.5")
[U]WiFi Stoker[/U] ([I]The Stoker Black Box[/I])
Thermapen, Splash-Proof, Black
Gasser
Danby kegerator with 1/2 barrel
WWBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2011, 09:41 PM   #638
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default A Touch of Gray!

Picked up a few vintage Grays the other day.

Traded a 1952 Cast Iron Cook N Kettle for this Gray 26.75" Weber Bar-B-Q-Kettle.

No date stamp, rolled steel handles. Ty never used it and bought it at an Estate Sale, the previous owner must have done some smoking in it, he drilled a hole in the lid and added a Comark thermometer.

Remarkably the interior is in much better shape than the exterior.

The lid has some kind of road rash and small rust spots on it like and the finish is flaking off, but overall a 26" this old is in pretty good shape.

I plan to add a Summit thermometer and bezel in the lid and paint the leg frame. Ordered a premium cover and ash tray for it and and checking with a couple Sheet Metal shops to see if they can fab a rotisserie ring for it similar to the EZ-Que.

While I was cleaning the 26'er up, my neighbor Tom came by and asked me if I wanted the kettle I'd given him a couple years ago back? He admitted that he'd never used it and probably never would. So, I reluctantly said Yes and this is what he gave me!

No date stamps on the 22" Bar-B-Q-Kettle or the Smokey Joe-

An OTS "G" (1985) Wood handles in very good shape with the logo intact.

I'm rehoming the 22" Bar-B-Q-Kettle to a co-worker (who swears he'll use it)
and the OTS is on craigslist, along with a few of these "Weber Redneck Firepits!

I put some Oak on the handles and caps on the legs, the lids were sacrificed to the UDS Gods.
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-16-2011, 10:23 PM   #639
WWBBQ
Got Wood.

Nice score to find some old ones with steel handles and being in that great shape. they were definitely taken care of

[COLOR=blue]Displaced: [I]Western Pennsylvanian[/I][/COLOR]
Weber Smokey Mountains WSM (2-22.5")
[U]WiFi Stoker[/U] ([I]The Stoker Black Box[/I])
Thermapen, Splash-Proof, Black
Gasser
Danby kegerator with 1/2 barrel
WWBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2011, 03:43 PM   #640
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

...nuff said... :)

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-18-2011, 12:13 PM   #641
BuckHunter83
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Ever since reading this thread I have been searching craigslist trying to find a 22.5 inch Kettle and I was going to pick one up this evening for $15, but then this green beauty showed up for free! It is a rescue from one of my tenants that moved out and left it behind for me. I have never grilled on a charcoal grill before except for the UDS I built so i'm sure there will be a learning curve. The grill is in pretty good condition and looks like it just needs to be cleaned up a little. It has an EZ stamp which I think is a 1998.

BuckHunter83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-18-2011, 01:48 PM   #642
Harbormaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckHunter83 View Post
The grill is in pretty good condition and looks like it just needs to be cleaned up a little. It has an EZ stamp which I think is a 1998.
Yep, 98 is right.
That is in pretty good shape.
If it were mine I would take the wood handles off and do a light sanding job on them to clean them up. I've been using Teak Oil to treat the handles after sanding and have had great results.
Good score.
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2011, 01:58 PM   #643
BuckHunter83
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbormaster View Post
Yep, 98 is right.
That is in pretty good shape.
If it were mine I would take the wood handles off and do a light sanding job on them to clean them up. I've been using Teak Oil to treat the handles after sanding and have had great results.
Good score.

Thanks, I might have to give that a shot to bring back the handles a bit. There is a few chips in the paint on the other side of the lid so it isn't quite as good as it looks. I am pretty excited to start cooking on it!
BuckHunter83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2011, 03:20 PM   #644
Jeff Selle
Full Fledged Farker

Nice Score Brian, I just scored a 22.5-inch red Weber kettle in mint condition... Can anyone date the "BAR-B-Q KETTLE" stamp on this one?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fireball2.jpg (68.1 KB, 453 views)
File Type: jpg fireball.jpg (90.4 KB, 452 views)
*1993 & 1998 Weber Performers
*Grill Dome Kamado smoker 18-inch
*El Cheapo offset smoker (CharBroil)
*4X8-foot trailered Santa Maria Grill
*Coveting a Weber Ranch Kettle
*Yellow splash-proof Thermapen
*Member of PNWBA/KCBS/West Slope BBQ Association
Jeff Selle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2011, 04:01 PM   #645
Smoking Bruin
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Selle View Post
Nice Score Brian, I just scored a 22.5-inch red Weber kettle in mint condition... Can anyone date the "BAR-B-Q KETTLE" stamp on this one?
Great score!! Weber date stamps started in 1979, so it must be before that. Wish I could be more help.

Tags
appreciation threads, kettle, Weber, weber kettle, weber kettle methods, weber kettle mods