MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:42 PM   #1
Twelvegaugepump
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin
Default Organizing Recipes

I have a ton of great cookbooks and links to recipes I find online. I struggle keeping all of the "must try" recipes at the top of my mind when I am planning for weekly meals. How do you all keep future recipes organized? Once I have tried a recipe, I blog it or put it on a recipe card. I am struggling with ones I have not cooked yet.
Twelvegaugepump is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2013, 09:54 PM   #2
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

I have a directory called Recipes. For recipes on the web, it is best to 'print as PDF' or or 'save as PDF' in that directory. If your browser does not have that built in, a Windows alternative is "Cute PDF." Can't speak to the Apple crowd. If you save a link, the page could be moved or disappear.

If you have the recipe in some other form, copy the file to that directory.

If you want to, you can score the recipes by prepending something like '00_" or 'AA_' to the name (e.g. 00_ to 99_ to give some idea of how badly you wish to try.) That way the names will sort in order of desirability. Of course the rest of the name should be something meaningful like "00_Joes_Porkchop_Brine..."

Old 01-27-2013, 10:41 PM   #3
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

My OS is Linux,I created a file in My documents folder called" Cook Book" with sub folders for different categorizes IE; BBQ with sub folders> Sauces>Rubs> Beef> Pork> Chicken. I also use EverNote, and My Bowser is Opera that has a Note app built in for quick saving different things I use it to C&P into posts.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:20 AM   #4
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

I hear ya man. I have recipes all over the place - binders, scraps of paper, bookmarks on my computer, saved in a dropbox folder - you name it.

Recently, i have started organizing everything in Evernote. Whenever I find a recipe online ( which is where I find most of them now), I make a new note in Evernote and save it.If I cook a recipe, i edit the note with any comments or remarks from the cook. This way I have all my recipes handy - on my phone, home computer, laptop, work. It seems to work very well so far.
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2013, 03:50 AM   #5
Gasket
Full Fledged Farker

I also have recipes everywhere. In side all my bbq books are where most of them are but, I hardly ever look at them books any more since I found the Brethren.
Gasket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2013, 04:35 AM   #6
posey's_pork_pit
is one Smokin' Farker

Pepperplate ~ it's a wonderful thing!
Smokey Joe Silver w/wooden handle a.k.a. Mini Me, Weber Smokey Joe Platinum date code ER

Sipsey: Secret's in the sauce.
posey's_pork_pit is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-28-2013, 06:00 AM   #7
gmanNJ
On the road to being a farker

I too use the puter to collect and organize. But rather than a single folder that has a ton of stuff I have made sub folders for appetizers, pork, beef, and styles like asian, greek, italian, etc. I also divide each sub folder into keepers and to do. Anything i try and not like is deleted (no sense in keeping something I dont like)

I intend to collect enough of the good ones and make one of those online photo books where they bind it in a hard cover and make my own cookbook of favorite recipies. Then I have a vanity cookbook and all my good recipies in one place. My son and other family members always ask for my recipies and I think a book of em would be a great gift. My son has been interested in cooking for some time and now proper BBQ techniques so what better way to pass these one.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:38 AM   #8
Twelvegaugepump
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

Sounds like we are all wrestling with the same issue. I am going to try to be more diligent with Evernote. I might scan recipes from cookbooks into it if I can find the time. I love the idea of creating your own cookbook of favorite recipes. Thanks everyone.
Twelvegaugepump is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2013, 07:17 AM   #9
bbutts
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : .

I use Evernote. It has a great web clipper. It has online storage as well as applications for your computer or phone.
bbutts is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2013, 08:59 AM   #10
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

"Organized people are too lazy to look for things"

Seriously though, I print all mine and place them in a binder. Simplicity is nice!

Last edited by flyingbassman5; 01-28-2013 at 09:26 AM..
flyingbassman5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2013, 09:07 AM   #11
Puckstopper

I have an app on my ipad called reciepe book. You use the app too look at reciepies online and than you can just import the reciepes to the app. works great.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:04 AM   #12
bo_gator

Quote:
Originally Posted by posey's_pork_pit View Post
Pepperplate ~ it's a wonderful thing!
I agree 110%

Webber 18 1/2" WSM, Webber 22 1/2" WSM, Webber 22 1/2" OTG Kettle, Teal Thermapen

You mean Sriricha isn't one of the four basic food groups :?:
bo_gator is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-28-2013, 10:16 AM   #13
woodbutcher1
is one Smokin' Farker

I use Ex-ell for all my recipe's. Easy to cut & paste. I make as many folders that i need to have everything organized. I like it.

55 Gal. UDS
30 Gal. UDS
16 Gal. Mini. UDS
[COLOR=Blue]Maverick ET-732 & iQue - 110
[/COLOR]
woodbutcher1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2013, 10:17 AM   #14
Bonewagon
Babbling Farker

+1 on Evernote. I use it for dang near everything.

Big Steel Keg, WSM, OTG, PBC, Kamado Joe Jr., Carson Rodizio, and a Super Fast [I]and[/I] Accurate [COLOR="Blue"]Blue[/COLOR] Splash-Proof Thermapen
Bonewagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2013, 10:24 AM   #15
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Evernote, the web clipper is where it's at.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote