MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:47 PM   #16
BRBBQ
Babbling Farker

I like the video. I think you get a different bark while using wood than I do using charcoal or Lump

Old 07-10-2011, 09:27 AM   #17
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Yeah but I would rather use the wood, charcoal or lump in the firebox instead of grinding it up in a coffee grinder and dusting the meat with it.

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2011, 02:03 PM   #18
BRBBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitmaster T View Post
Yeah but I would rather use the wood, charcoal or lump in the firebox instead of grinding it up in a coffee grinder and dusting the meat with it.
what the heck

Old 07-11-2011, 10:40 AM   #19
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRBBQ View Post
what the heck
I was a joke. :-)

Edict.

Old 01-04-2014, 06:21 PM   #20
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

http://youtu.be/I5MytyQ5OII?t=1m3s

Edict.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:01 PM   #21
trufunk
Full Fledged Farker

Poor Goo FTW!! Nice video!! Thinking about it I have always done my briskets fat side up and experienced a few that were hard ...tough on the bottom ...jerky like if that makes sense just a bit on the bottom. I cook around 275-300 ish. Ima try fat down next time and see what kind of results i get.
trufunk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2014, 08:58 PM   #22
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

whats ur equipment Funk?

Edict.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:17 PM   #23
trufunk
Full Fledged Farker

24x40 Gator pit. I re-calibrated my pit therms last week and i need to readjust my plates too.
http://youtu.be/3gr1qvlnyXk
trufunk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2014, 09:23 PM   #24
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

hey T great videos. I have a question? can I still make funky brisket if I dont have a smoker? I only have a Weber mountain Cooker.

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-04-2014, 10:07 PM   #25
defence18
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---k--- View Post
I think you forgot the hardest part about making brisket.... FINDING A FULL PACKER!

Here in the desert of BBQ, none of our grocery stores, Sam's or Costco carry full packers. It is only flats at $3.69/#.
The Wal-Mart by me just started selling packers within the last couple months fwiw.
defence18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2014, 09:49 AM   #26
Bbq Bubba

Quote:
5. Pull it when the "feel" is right. This means Internal Temps is really a poor choice to determine to a novice when its done.
Your brisket basics are spot on except for this quote.

You can NOT teach "feel". It comes with time and experience. I firmly believe one must cook dozens if not hundreds of briskets before this is learned.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2014, 09:58 AM   #27
Q Junkie
is One Chatty Farker

I would normally agree with the advice on going with Packers, HOWEVER today I am going with the 9ers
Q Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2014, 08:31 PM   #28
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post
hey T great videos. I have a question? can I still make funky brisket if I dont have a smoker? I only have a Weber mountain Cooker.

Uh, hell to the yeah.

Edict.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:49 PM   #29
smoke ninja

Great, I have a cooker now but I'm saving for a real smoker.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:05 PM   #30
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
You can NOT teach "feel". It comes with time and experience. I firmly believe one must cook dozens if not hundreds of briskets before this is learned.
Thanks so much. I respect you and have for a long time as well. This actually seems like something I might have said at one time while not considering my own "Night train experiement." But you of all people who know me should know what I mean, but I will clarify or remind as I THINK this is covered in the NIGHT TRAIN experiment in which the sole purpose of wasting just one flat in the oven is to teach "feel" the quickest way.

I had no excuse going back into bbq in the 1990s. I was trained (although I was not really paying attention) by Ray Perez at the old Kreuz. Sure I bussed tables and cleans dishes but I got some hands on "feel experience" and probably felt more briskets in a summer than most will in a lifetime.

But here is why I stand by my comment that YOU CAN teach feel. For one, my technique works and it has been documented on here that it does by quite a few.

However, to your credit it could be taught by the therm too, if you guarantee to cook it to an internal that ALL briskets are done (and most overdone). problem is, for the brisket done ON THE PIT at an internal of 180.... its not going to have the right feel when you pull that dried out sucka at 205 IT. Not to mention, on the pit... there could be a myriad of things that could be screwed up in the process.

Also remember, this is actually a MUCH older article than it looks like. It was copied from my barbefunkoramaque article. I don't know if it was before or after the Night train article.

In any case, learning the "feel" with the night train is the EASY part. Why, because it was done in the oven, wrapped in foil, and the zenith of tenderness. It was designed for those who never knew how tender a brisket could be. Maybe what you are saying is.... getting a brisket on the pit... to have the feel that it had in that experiment....well...........that takes a little longer than overnight. But if you NEVER learned the feel in the first place, you would never know what to go for... and like many as a result, pull their brisket too soon with the thought it was overdone and tough.

Look at this...not the whole video just this little part I have cued up for y'all.
Just watch about 30 seconds or so

http://youtu.be/lAv7XZRXFAE?t=5m52s

Thats what screws with people's minds - from the novice on up to the guy that never knew what brisket could be. They THINK they are drying them out. I mean is supposed to get MORE tender, right? LOL I have waited to make a special video using Ali footage because the Brisket is a lot like his rope-a-dope.

Then this...

http://youtu.be/lAv7XZRXFAE?t=6m59s

Same brisket.

Edict.

Thanks from:--->

Tags
brisket