MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:52 PM   #46
Whitewookie
is one Smokin' Farker

I have a 6 pc. set of Henckels 4 star that were given to me by a friend when I retired from the Air Force in 2002 as a retirement gift. They hold an edge well as long as I use the steel before each use.

I generally sharpen them about twice a year the old fashioned way, on a tri hone. Usually just need the medium and fine stones.

I agree with the ones who say the 8" chef's knife is the most used of the six. The little paring knife is probably the second most used.

I also have a cheap Faberware santoku from Wally World that I mainly bought to see if I want a good one... Probably not, I mainly just use it for veggies and I can do that with the chefs knife also.

My steak knives are Wustof because I found a set on sale online. They are OK but I like the Henckels better.

Buy the best you can afford and don't look back... Also, after you buy, quit shopping because you will find the same knives cheaper and just get pissed...

VR,
Harold
Whitewookie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2014, 02:36 PM   #47
bassandbeer
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinc View Post
Get the Victorinox 8" Chefs knife and the Victorinox boning knife as well.

The boning knife is razor sharp and is really useful for trimming up pork butts given the size, flexibility and sharpness of the blade.

The chefs knife relatively inexpensive, holds its edge really well and the nonslip handle is great when your hands are messy.
Agreed. These are the knives I use as well. In my opinion, best knives to use at a decent price.
bassandbeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2014, 02:42 PM   #48
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-19-2014, 02:56 PM   #49
Empty
Got rid of the matchlight.

I have a full set of Wustof's and love them . I have 2 of the I think 10 inch chef , that is my go to knife the 8 is just a little small after using the 10 . The quality is outstanding slide it a couple of times across the steal and razor sharp . Look around there are different handle configurations to choose from . I preferred the Grand Prix . I have from pairing , boning , scalloped slicers , I don't care if it is a strawberry or prime rib I grab the Big Chef's . ps the best money spent
Empty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2014, 04:15 PM   #50
Chopper Duke
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
http://www.amazon.com/Dexter-Russell...sell+8%22+chef

This is the same model, except I use a 10", in my kitchen. It is a great workhorse knife. The one you linked to, in theory, has a superior blade and the comfort handle. I didn't like the handle so never gave it a second look. This is not my go to knife, I have a whole slew, literally, almost three knife blocks worth of knives to use, that are far better than the Dexter Russel, but, not reasonably useful. The D-R is just a great, cheap knife.

A note about forged, versus stamped. For almost all knives that are under $100 each, the blades are never hit with a hammer. Most forged knives are stamped, then the blank is machine forged two more times, using pressure, not heat. They are only marginally better than a quality stamped knife. This is why even Henckels and Wusthof have forged knives that are entry level priced.
I looked all over Amazon for those and din't see them. Wish I would have because that's a good price!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewookie View Post
I have a 6 pc. set of Henckels 4 star that were given to me by a friend when I retired from the Air Force in 2002 as a retirement gift. They hold an edge well as long as I use the steel before each use.

I generally sharpen them about twice a year the old fashioned way, on a tri hone. Usually just need the medium and fine stones.

I agree with the ones who say the 8" chef's knife is the most used of the six. The little paring knife is probably the second most used.

I also have a cheap Faberware santoku from Wally World that I mainly bought to see if I want a good one... Probably not, I mainly just use it for veggies and I can do that with the chefs knife also.

My steak knives are Wustof because I found a set on sale online. They are OK but I like the Henckels better.

Buy the best you can afford and don't look back... Also, after you buy, quit shopping because you will find the same knives cheaper and just get pissed...

VR,
Harold
I'm still pulling Reserve duty at Moody (2W0X1). Thank you for your service! I really liked the Henckels I had my hands on. That will probably be what I ultimately end up with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqgeekess View Post
Yeah, that made a big impact on me while looking.

Okay, so I've ordered the 10" Chef's knife (47521) and some pairing knives. I can still get the 8" Chef's knife (47520) for $26 shipped. Since I've already ordered something today and paid for shipping, anything else I order the rest of the day ships free. I'm also considering the 6" Semi-Stiff Boning knife (47515) for $14.75.

Thoughts on those two?

Old 01-19-2014, 04:23 PM   #51
Whitewookie
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper Duke View Post
I'm still pulling Reserve duty at Moody (2W0X1). Thank you for your service! I really liked the Henckels I had my hands on. That will probably be what I ultimately end up with.
No ****e... I retired from Moody. Spent my last 7 years there. Was a Pro Super in the 71st RQS and then did a little over two years as the Wing Flight Safety NCO. My Wife works on base.

VR,
Harold
Whitewookie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2014, 08:43 PM   #52
Erle
Knows what a fatty is.

Like you, I did a lot of research - including taking a knife skills class at Sur la Table so I could use several brands. I cook about every night with the weekends spent smoking on my 18.5 WSM. Here are my opinions:
- Global: very light, too light in fact. Rubber nub bed handle felt odd to me and the handle was a little small. No bolster, only matters if you like them.
- Henckels Four Star: A top quality German knife with a classic rocker blade. Just a touch heavy for my taste, but a solid choice. Full bolster with a large comfortable handle but with a larger butt.
-Victorinox: very nice knife, well balanced with the bolster as part of the handle. Lighter knife.
-Wusthof Ikon Classic: Another solid German knife with a semi-bolster, medium size handle with a stainless steel cap. Also very solid knife with good balance

I opted for the Wusthof and have been very happy with it. It holds an edge well, requiring frequent honing, but has only needed a new edge twice in 11 months. I opted for the 8" model because I was unsure of my skill level. I now wish I had gone larger as several articles suggested. Your skills will grow as you use it and the additional length is useful periodically. Be aware that the largest Wusthof Ikon Classic chef knife is 9", versus the more common 10".

Hope this helps, good luck Chopper!
-

Humphrey's Qube'd Pint, Weber OTG (upgraded silver), Smokey Joe Gold, Stoker I & II ATCs, and Red Thermapen
Erle is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-20-2014, 09:31 AM   #53
dbq
Full Fledged Farker

My sister worked at a small custom processing plant during school, I think every knife n the place was a Victorinox. I've still got a bunch of them with only 1/4 inch of blade left.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:47 AM   #54
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

If you're only going to get one good knife, it needs to be a chef's knife. It is the most versatile knife. I have an 8" chef that accounts for about 90% of my knife usage.
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2014, 10:14 AM   #55
jamus34
Full Fledged Farker

Here's a side question to the age old knife discussion.

Recently picked up a 12'' Victorinox slicer. Problem is I really haven't found a block that can fit a 12" so I was wondering if anyone knew of a site that sells a hard case for it (as I don't trust have the knife in a drawer with a bladegaurd, I can easily see me wife dropping something heavy on the blade and it end up warping.

22.5 OTS, 22.5 WSM, SJG (and soon to have the tamale pot mini-WSM conversion built)

Stealth gray Thermopen

jamus34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2014, 11:13 AM   #56
sportsnut
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinc View Post
Get the Victorinox 8" Chefs knife and the Victorinox boning knife as well.

The boning knife is razor sharp and is really useful for trimming up pork butts given the size, flexibility and sharpness of the blade.

The chefs knife relatively inexpensive, holds its edge really well and the nonslip handle is great when your hands are messy.

I have both of these and a 10" Wusthof slicer.

Weber 22" WSM
Weber 14" WSM
Weber Performer
Weber Smokey Joe
The fastest red back-lit Thermapen ever made
Maverick ET733
sportsnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2014, 11:26 AM   #57
ynotfehc
Full Fledged Farker

The best suggestion as far as how to purchase or where is: dont buy on-line unless the price is better and you've held the knife in your hand already. You dont want to spend money on a knife then when you get it, if feels awkward to you. All handles feel different, the weights all feel different, combine the two and each knife really has its own feel in your hand. Many kitchen stores will also allow you to use the knife and chop a few vegetables before you buy. Not all Wusthofs feel the same in the hand.
And everyone has their own preference on the shape of the handles. The block squared edge handles look nice, but do you like that or a rounded handle. I dont like the size of the fibrox handles, but I like it works fine for my boning knife. I cut over 100lbs of product aday at work, I will not buy a squared handle, I dont need any more callouses. If you find a knife that fits you, then look on-line for a better price
ynotfehc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2014, 01:13 PM   #58
K-Barbecue
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jim

The webstaurantstore.com currently has the 8" Victorinox Fibrox 47520 chefs knife on sale for only $24.89 !!

Old 01-20-2014, 01:14 PM   #59
Grimm5577
is One Chatty Farker

I have henckels love them, i did pick up the victonox boning knife, it was sharp, but certainly felt cheap in my hands. We'll see how long it holds it's edge.
My go to is the Henckles Chef Knife, I like the santoku for veggies though.
Grimm5577 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2014, 01:16 PM   #60
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamus34 View Post
Here's a side question to the age old knife discussion.

Recently picked up a 12'' Victorinox slicer. Problem is I really haven't found a block that can fit a 12" so I was wondering if anyone knew of a site that sells a hard case for it (as I don't trust have the knife in a drawer with a bladegaurd, I can easily see me wife dropping something heavy on the blade and it end up warping.
I made up a cardboard case, that fits the edge guard as well. But, a true knife roll is the proper way to go. Of course, those cost more than your knife did. Maybe get a magnentic knife holder and mount it on the wall.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote