Drip pan suggestions

M

mcksr

I finished my first UDS, and I have decided to install bolts to hold a drip pan for those times when it is needed. My question is: Is there a online source that can supply the size that would work in a UDS, or are there other ideas on a drip pan? Thanks for any help you can provide.
Mike (North Florida Smokin)

Get a 30 gallon drum. Cut the bottom out and use it for the drip pan.

i thought one of the beauties of the drum was the "flavor" imparted by the drippings hitting the coals. ??? A drip pan would defeat that. ??

BTW. I am NOT a drum user, so this is ONLY a question/assumption, not guidance.

i use a large colander. it diffused the heat and allows the drippings to fall through to the fire.:wink: i just sit it on top of the fire box and sit the lower rack on the colander.

I too modified one of my UDSs to convert to a USM (Ugly Smokey Mountain) when needed. I simply added another 22" rack about 18" up from the bottom. Then I cut the rim off of a 15-quart enameled dish pan. It works like a charm.

20444_h1_g.jpg

John

I don't mind ribs or chicken without a drip pan or difusser, but brisket and butts are a different story. Just not my taste. I also use the 16" terra cotta flower pot base covered with foil.

I've never used a drip pan and up until this thread wasn't aware my brisket and butts were bad because of it. I'm going to have to tell my family and friends they were wrong when they raved about the food I've cooked on my UDS.

Even after all these years on the forum I'm still learning something new all the time. :shock:

i use a large colander. it diffused the heat and allows the drippings to fall through to the fire.:wink: i just sit it on top of the fire box and sit the lower rack on the colander.

I use a "grilling wok" from Menards - about $6.00

I've never used a drip pan and up until this thread wasn't aware my brisket and butts were bad because of it. I'm going to have to tell my family and friends they were wrong when they raved about the food I've cooked on my UDS.

Even after all these years on the forum I'm still learning something new all the time. :shock:

Whoa! Hold on Larry. I wasn't knocking anybody's cooking. I just said I have a different taste:

I don't mind ribs or chicken without a drip pan or difusser, but brisket and butts are a different story. Just not my taste. I also use the 16" terra cotta flower pot base covered with foil.

I feel that it imparts too heavy of a smoke flavor for me personally. The whole poiny of me cooking a $20 - $30 hunk of meat is to cook it to my liking. If that includes a drip pan, so be it. I have cook offset or indirect for years and that's the flavor I like. People have different tastes. Some like vinegar based sauce, some tomato, some even like mustard. Some people like Mayo, some like Miracle Whip. Hell, some people even use steak sauce. :eek:

Let me rephrase my post: I sometimes use an old wok. Like when I'm cooking a turkey and I want to catch the drippings for gravy. The wok is only about 12" across so it only partially shields the fire from meat drippings.

Back